Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2014 - 2015 (part 1)

homer
I'd call the Hornets up and see if they're ready to part with Stephenson now...give them Mayo @ a similar salary with one less year on his deal. Pretty apparent to me when I watch that OJ doesn't fit here, and Lance doesn't function when he is "the guy." We do not emphasize "one guy," and Kidd would keep him focused like Vogel did. I think a change of scenery would benefit both of them.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't touch Stephenson. That's the type of guy that could ruin a team with seemingly great chemistry like they have now. Juice seems to have cleaned his attitude up from last year and is fitting in well now. Look how his crap attitude last year infected the whole team, Stephenson could do the same thing. Plus hasn't Charlotte been winning again lately and are back in the playoffs, they'll probably stick him out now.

If OJ keeps his attitude and keeps shooting well until this time next year he'd be a great guy to flip at next years deadline to a contender. Also, he's not really that old, if he'll take a reasonable extension why not keep him around as a good scorer off the bench. Or you might really need him next year if Middleton or Knight don't come back. Not sure what Bayless's contract situation is either, if he's a FA next year, they'd really need Mayo more. Really, Bayless would be a great guy to flip right now for some picks to a contender that needs a backup PG. He's playing amazing.

Mayo has been pretty darn good this year for them; part of the problem last year was obviously that the team sucked and he still wasn't getting much time. By all accounts he has been a model citizen this year and has been a really good scoring option off the bench. I would rather have him than Stephenson.

I agree with the if it's not broke don't fix it approach. But I could see us trading for another big man because zaza kmart and ersan can't seem to stay healthy. Maybe deal ersan in exchange for a different pf and a pick

If he could become more of a swing 4/5 (he started shooting a few 3s and midrange jumpers this year) I think Kanter could be a fit for us. If it's a redundency on Sanders/Henson though we don't have room for him. He looks talented enough to start and play quite a few minutes despite his defensive deficiencies.

Adding another player isn't going to get us closer to the Finals, so why bother trading assets we could otherwise use to further build in the offseason?

Strategic trades. If you can acquire a young asset like a Kanter, Bledsoe (last year), or absorbing an expiring contract like Amare Stoudamire's would both benefit us in the short or the long term. We've got a bunch of salary cap space right now to do it.

Another trade rumor elsewhere I saw involved Jason Thompson and Stauskas on the Kings for Ilyasova. Thompson would qualify under the useless designation, but if it was Derrick Williams (expiring contract who could be a young asset best case), IMO that would be a great trade too. Clear the dead weight (8 million) that is Ersan and acquire 1, possibly 2 young assets to build from.

Yes Sacramento is one of the worst run franchises, you'll usually end up ahead by trading with them. That being said, there's not a whole lot they have that we'd want. Derrick Williams is the exact same skillset as Parker but has flopped in the league. Off the top of my head the only two guys I'd want (obviously Cousins is untouchable) would be Stauskus and McLemore.

Overall I agree about not dumping assets because we're not making the Finals anyway. They've spent the last few years acquiring assets though, now is the time to start cashing them in for right pieces. Key is that the pieces have to be young guys that they expect to keep around. Guys like Kanter and Stauskus fit that description. Can't be giving up picks and Tobias Harris for 2 months of JJ Redick again, what a bad trade that was. Almost as bad as signing Anthony Mason, who is another example of a reason not to add a guy like Stephenson.

Just saw a headline that the Bucks are discussing buyout with Larry. This is still year one of his deal isn't it? Unless he's willing to take much less than the 40 mil he's owed I'd rather tell him to go to rehab for the rest of the year and come back fresh next year and give it another go. It's just going to anger me to see him sign with someone like Cleveland or Dallas who get his head on right and he starts playing well again.

You can't really get him to take anything less than what he is guaranteed right? I suppose if a new team only has to pay league minimum for Sanders he is worth the risk to them. There has to be a pretty massive untold story here; teams don't reluctantly give up on guys like Sanders without there being significant issues.

I don't know for 100% either. But if they're calling it a "buyout" then I think they would negotiating for less than he's guaranteed. Essentially, he'd be giving up some money in order to buy his freedom. If they cut/released him then yea they'd be on the hook for the whole thing.

However, teams should have insurance to help them with the cost in situations like these.

saw this in an ESPN article though:

"While it’s common for a player seeking a buyout to take a discount to get out of his deal (for example, that’s what Amare Stoudemire will do for the Knicks) there is no motivation for Sanders or his agent to give the Bucks a price break. They will pay full price to make him go away.

Next summer, if he does show he’s not smoking anymore, some team will take a shot on him. However, it’s going to be for far, far less than the $11 million he was set to make this year."

If I'm the Bucks there's no way I do this unless it saves a bunch of money. Just pay him to stay home if that's what it takes, better than letting him play somewhere else while we pay him. Plus they could use his contract for a future trade once he gets to the expiring year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If I'm the Bucks there's no way I do this unless it saves a bunch of money. Just pay him to stay home if that's what it takes, better than letting him play somewhere else while we pay him. Plus they could use his contract for a future trade once he gets to the expiring year.

Unless they need the insurance buyout for other contracts...

If Sanders and the Bucks agreed to a buy-out, there wouldn't have to be any decrease in the contract money owed to Sanders. He would get paid like normal for the rest of this season unless he signs somewhere else (Right of Set-Off). Past that, the rest of Sanders' $33 million owed can be stretched for twice the number of contract years remaining plus one (Stretch Provision). Unless the Bucks wanted to absorb it all right now, they could instead pay about $4.5 million against the cap every year until 2022.

Yes I think that's what that article said, they don't have to reduce the cost, it would just be cutting him then. Like what happened with Josh Smith. However, the team would be stupid not to at least try to save money buy negotiating it lower (Amare Stoudemire) and then using the stretch provision. I think it's a tough call if they can't get him to walk away for say 3/4 of what he's owed. It's not like they're up against the cap or anything, might be better to eat paying him to stay home for a while and getting it off the books sooner.

The Bucks shouldn't give this bum one thin dime. If he refuses to show up for practice, just suspend without pay. I'd rather see them sabotage his career than save a few bucks and give him an opportunity somewhere else. I never thought anyone could supplant Terrell Brandon as my all time most hated Buck, but this loser is giving him a run for his money.

The Bucks shouldn't give this bum one thin dime. If he refuses to show up for practice, just suspend without pay. I'd rather see them sabotage his career than save a few bucks and give him an opportunity somewhere else. I never thought anyone could supplant Terrell Brandon as my all time most hated Buck, but this loser is giving him a run for his money.

He really did a good one on screwing this organization, that's for sure. Addition by subtraction may be worth paying him though, we don't need any of that crap around Knight, Giannis, Parker, and Middleton.

Interesting topic, most hated buck? I go with Anthony Mason all day, ruined our only good team in the last 25 years. Still surprised to this day that Karl couldn't see his game would mess up their fast paced style, especially when you factor in he was an attitude problem guy.

Gary Payton; the guy clearly didn't want a be here and was the reason for my all time favorite Buck getting traded.

George Karl was the reason Allen got traded. Just incredibly stupid. Coach and star player (who loved Milwaukee) don't get along, so what do we do? Get rid of an all-star before he even reaches his prime.

I see the Payton point, everyone knew that was just a half year thing for him and he wouldn't stick around. I would argue that Mason ultimately was the cause for Allen leaving though, if we never signed him they might have kept that core together for a while.

Archived