Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2014 - 2015 (part 1)

homer

Specific to the rockets, they're the most drastic team that shoots only 3s, layups, free throws. This is why he targeted Harden, it's exactly what he does and he is the foundation of the team. I guess its working for them, in this offseason they lost parsons, lynn, asik (three solid rotation players) due to salary cap reasons, with the only addition being Ariza and they're still winning by emphasizing this strategy.

As someone else said, the most clear cut thing that has come from analytics in basketball is that long 2 pointers are the dumbest shots to take. Every team has adopted this (except for i guess the lakers and Knicks) in spite of what Barkley says.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Basketball analytics have also shown how valuable it is to take care of the basketball and get to the free throw line.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Another great win last night. 30-23 at the break, double last seasons wins already, who would have thought. I think that's 7 of their last 8. What do you think about Kidds chances for coach of the year? As of now, I think the ATL coach gets it but Kidd has to be 2nd. Warriors are loaded in talent so Kerr gets #3.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Awesome article about Giannis.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/2/11/7980435/giannis-antetokounmpo-nba-slam-dunk-contest-2015

Don't bother reading the comment section. 3/4ths of it is "he travelled/no he didn't travel", but the article itself is a great read about the evolution of his game.

The ATL coach is a shoo-in as of right now; but Kidd should definitely be in the Top #3. If ATL falls back in the 2nd half maybe Kidd can steal it.

With Kidd's success it makes me think his days in MIL will be numbered; the minute he gets an offer from a big market team I am guessing that he is gone.

I wasn't a fan of the hiring at the time just because I never liked him on account of being a multiple time wife beater (plus Big Dog should have gotten that rookie of the year, haha) But he's doing an amazing job, especially when you think about how many injuries have happened and whatever is going on with Larry.

He just did leave a major market to come to Milwaukee. Maybe I'd fraze the concern around a contending team. Say OKC fires their coach this year and can't get Kevin Olley to leave UCONN, then maybe Kidd would go there and teach them how to run a motion offense. Chicago would be another one too, sounds like Tibs and management hate each other, granted Chicago is a major market. Wizards could be another, they're eastern conf contenders without a good coach. I just mean that NYK, Brooklyn and the Lakers are disasters, better off in Milwaukee right now. And if Giannis takes the next step and Jabari comes back and becomes a star, all of a sudden MKE has a legit shot in the east as Lebron ages.

Another great win last night. 30-23 at the break, double last seasons wins already, who would have thought. I think that's 7 of their last 8. What do you think about Kidds chances for coach of the year? As of now, I think the ATL coach gets it but Kidd has to be 2nd. Warriors are loaded in talent so Kerr gets #3.

Bucks are the 1st team in NBA history to double the previous season total win count by the all star break.

As for Kidd leaving, there is no way he left Brooklyn to come to this "dump," unless he was promised bigger things. I fully expect him to end up as either part GM part coach or full GM coach/no coach down the road for us. As good as the Hawks have been, I think Kidd is most deserving at this juncture for COY, don't forget about Steve Kerr either though.

Specific to the rockets, they're the most drastic team that shoots only 3s, layups, free throws. This is why he targeted Harden, it's exactly what he does and he is the foundation of the team. I guess its working for them, in this offseason they lost parsons, lynn, asik (three solid rotation players) due to salary cap reasons, with the only addition being Ariza and they're still winning by emphasizing this strategy.

As someone else said, the most clear cut thing that has come from analytics in basketball is that long 2 pointers are the dumbest shots to take. Every team has adopted this (except for i guess the lakers and Knicks) in spite of what Barkley says.

Sort of. They traded Lin and Asik to free up space to go after Boshzilla. The Parsons thing was because he signed the offer sheet with the Mavs, and they chose not to match. In the end, that's been a great move. Parsons is what he is, and he fits in well with Dallas. Houston has been able to have the flexibility to sign Ariza (great defender, meh offensively) and pick up Brewer and Josh Smith in season.

As for Sir Chuckles and his analytics thoughts.......turrible. Absolutely turrible.

I don't see what you're disagreeing with, they lost those guys due to cap reasons. They were playing the cap game and it blew up in the face when Bosh backed out on them. Regardless, they lost two rotation guys in Asik/Lin and a solid starter in Parsons and only replaced them with one proven guy and the system is still working. Imagine how good they might be if Bosh did sign with them, they would have then signed Parsons and gladly paid the tax to chase the title. Starting lineup of Howard, Bosh, Parsons, Harden, Beverly.

I don't see what you're disagreeing with, they lost those guys due to cap reasons. They were playing the cap game and it blew up in the face when Bosh backed out on them. Regardless, they lost two rotation guys in Asik/Lin and a solid starter in Parsons and only replaced them with one proven guy and the system is still working. Imagine how good they might be if Bosh did sign with them, they would have then signed Parsons and gladly paid the tax to chase the title. Starting lineup of Howard, Bosh, Parsons, Harden, Beverly.

Beverly isn't that good and needs to be replaced. Howard is hurt and who knows how long he'll be out. Chandler is Chandler. Not that great. Playing the game to sign Bosh is different than making it sound like they were up against the cap and had to get room. They took a calculated gamble lost that gamble, but made it work so far. I live in Houston so I hear about the Rockets all the time. My Spurs will catch them soon enough.

Well it's semantics I guess, not a big deal. Most folks don't know how complicated the NBA cap is so I thought it easier to just say cap reasons. If it wasn't for salary cap they'd still have those guys, at least Asik and Lin, for this year. Might have let Parson go anyway since he got so overpaid and Ariza is like half the cost. But Parson is probably the better player long term since he's so much younger.

Beverly is average. Hits 3s at a respectable clip and plays hard D which they need to make up for Harden being a poor defender. You can't have a star at every position, plus Harden handles almost all of the ballhandling so it he fits ok. I guess it's helped them to have walked into Josh Smith and Corery Brewer too during the season.

Regardless, the main point of it all was that in spite of a so-so roster (especially with Howard hurt all year) they're still winning and it's fair to argue the 3pt/ft strategy is a big reason why. I agree with Barkley that they're not a real title contender this year though. Well unless Howard turns into Howard from 5 years ago all of a sudden. If they would have gotten Bosh and Parsons they'd be a legit contender.

I'm a big Spurs guy too. Been telling people for the last several years how great they are to watch and everyone said I was crazy, not the old boring Spurs from the early to mid 2000s when they were winning and only scoring in the 80s. The motion offense they really pushed the last 4-5 years or so is the best style of bball and it's spread to the rest of the league (including MKE other than when they get too bogged down in iso plays usually in the 4th qtr). Too bad most of the country didn't realize until last years finals. I'd love to see a Spurs/Hawks finals (assuming the Bucks can't make it, haha).

Harden is actually a much, much, much improved defender this year. He's actually been really, really good on both ends of the court. And I've never been a big Harden guy, so it takes a lot for me to say that. I wonder if Howard will even play the rest of the year. It's his knee and it sounds somewhat serious. I don't think the Rockets will go that far in the playoffs at all.

well, it was tough to be any worse than last year for him, haha. The guy is a superstar, he read the internet bashing him for his D and focused on it this year. It's really just about effort for him on that end. In spite of that he's probably average at best, which is all they need from a guy like him who expends so much energy on O, and it's much better than not even trying like he did last year. I hate Howard, don't think you can win a title with him unless he's the 3rd best player, not #1 or 2.

Harden trade out of OKC could go down as the worst trade in NBA history, especially if eventually leads to Durant leaving after next year. And subsequently Westbrook right after. Go from from 6-10 year NBA title contender window to a joke of a team if that happens. Joe Schmo fan like us probably couldn't have known he was this good because his minutes were limited. But they should have known, they see him every day in practice. With the cap going way up soon they probably could've kept him and only paid the tax in one season, for a team that sells out every game should have done it. No way they wouldn't have won a title in the last two years or the coming 4 years if they kept him.

Harden is actually a much, much, much improved defender this year. He's actually been really, really good on both ends of the court. And I've never been a big Harden guy, so it takes a lot for me to say that. I wonder if Howard will even play the rest of the year. It's his knee and it sounds somewhat serious. I don't think the Rockets will go that far in the playoffs at all.

Houston currently ranks 4th worst in the league against SG's. (2nd best vs PG's). Harden may have improved, but he is still pathetic on defense and it isn't likely to change anytime soon. That's why Beverley is valuable to the team...he is an ELITE defender.

I heard on an ESPN radio broadcast last night that the Bucks (w /30 wins) have their most wins at the break since 1991. That's a little surprising to me. Not living in Wisconsin anymore, why is this Bucks team so successful and what is their ceiling in 2015? A first round upset? All of this without Jabari Parker. Is it Kidd? Is it luck? Is it the schedule?

I heard on an ESPN radio broadcast last night that the Bucks (w /30 wins) have their most wins at the break since 1991. That's a little surprising to me. Not living in Wisconsin anymore, why is this Bucks team so successful and what is their ceiling in 2015? A first round upset? All of this without Jabari Parker. Is it Kidd? Is it luck? Is it the schedule?

Working their GD butts off and being Spurs-Lites. If Sanders puts the weed down & becomes good/serviceable, and we make a smart trade we have a shot at the conference finals IMO with how wide open the east is.

Working their GD butts off and being Spurs-Lites. If Sanders puts the weed down & becomes good/serviceable, and we make a smart trade we have a shot at the conference finals IMO with how wide open the east is.

Speaking of a smart trade....I live in Utah and apparently Enis Kanter is demanding a trade out of town...any interest from Bucks fan?

Harden is actually a much, much, much improved defender this year.

All of this without Jabari Parker. Is it Kidd? Is it luck? Is it the schedule?

Parker was pretty bad this year. It's okay, most rookies are but him being off the court improved the team. As for the team being improved. Kidd is much better than Drew and they have one of, if not the best group of assistant coaches in the NBA. That and they're actually trying to win.

Look at all the teams in the East that are awful and either weren't trying to win from the beginning or got off to bad starts and decided to throw in the towel on the season.

I like Kanter a lot. I'm not sure he fits in on this team, I haven't seen enough of him defensively, but I like his game around the basket. I'm guessing Utah is going to want a king's ransom for him. I wouldn't part with core for him, but I'd give up someone like Sanders or O'Bryant and a 2 for him. Doubt that would be enough.

I like Kanter a lot. I'm not sure he fits in on this team, I haven't seen enough of him defensively, but I like his game around the basket. I'm guessing Utah is going to want a king's ransom for him. I wouldn't part with core for him, but I'd give up someone like Sanders or O'Bryant and a 2 for him. Doubt that would be enough.

Kanter plays no defense. Like none at all. Drew Gooden-esque.

As for why the Bucks are winning: 80% of it is having a ton of guys who can switch and help defensively, and frustrating teams through the shot clock.

Where that has broken down is against teams who will abuse those switches and teams who also play decent defense (in other words - good playoff teams).

If the Bucks draw Toronto in the first round, they'll have a chance, but I don't see them having a shot against a healthy Cleveland, Chicago, Washington or the Hawks.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Kanter plays no defense. Like none at all. Drew Gooden-esque.

As for why the Bucks are winning: 80% of it is having a ton of guys who can switch and help defensively, and frustrating teams through the shot clock.

Where that has broken down is against teams who will abuse those switches and teams who also play decent defense (in other words - good playoff teams).

If the Bucks draw Toronto in the first round, they'll have a chance, but I don't see them having a shot against a healthy Cleveland, Chicago, Washington or the Hawks.

We'll see on the Hawks..they thrashed them by 40 one night and nearly beat them the next game. Cleveland is beatable (shut Kyrie down and Love shuts himself down...Lebron can't score 75), but I don't see them beating the Bulls.

I think they can upset anyone in the first round. Unless Cleveland and Chicago get their acts together by then, those two could be on a different level. Either way, they're not getting blown out in 4 games like last time in the playoffs. They might lose in round 1 but will win at least a game or two and battle in all the losses. If Sanders sobers up and Irsan gets consistently healthy they could definitely win a round or two.

I thought Kanter could be an ok option too. I obviously haven't watched Utah much, but have to remember he's only around 23. Things like D and passing could be improved with better coaching and onto a better team like ours. We have tons of draft picks to pull it off. Thing with him is he's a restricted FA at the end of the year and will likely command 10+ mil per year. Obviously we have cap room but will also have to sign Knight and Middleton. Could lose Henson this year and Zaza the year after so this would be good add in my opinion if they're committed to resigning. I'd rather have Kanter than Henson, but Kanter will be double the money. It really hurts having Larry's 11 mil clogging the books, there's no way anyone is taking that salary back unless we throw in #1 picks. Utah wouldn't want him either, biggest reason they're not interested in resigning Kanter is they have Gobert and Favors already, and a solid backup I think named Booker. No need to pay another big 10+ mil.

Archived