Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2014 - 2015 (part 1)

homer

Isn't Knight a free agent after this year? So not sure a sign and trade makes any sense. Either they sign him, or he signs somewhere else. I would lean towards trying to re-sign him, but I still think he has a ways to go as a pure PG. He has too many turnovers, takes too many bad shots, but most importantly I just don't see him feeding guys for easy shots enough.

Sure, Kidd CAN help him with all that but there's no guarantee. Pure PG skills can be taught, but there's also just natural skill/ court awareness too.

What I like about this team is that it's now clear how to keep rebuilding. Every new player (whether a draft choice or FA) must play defense, share the ball, and be a good guy in the locker room. From there, you can look at what else they bring to the table. Interestingly, Parker really doesn't fit that description but they think he can get there.

And GAME, I don't think they're at the point where they need a specific position in the draft. They need to keep adding talent, and at some point they can start thinking of need by position, and get a FA that fits. But that should never be done on draft day.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't Knight a free agent after this year? So not sure a sign and trade makes any sense. Either they sign him, or he signs somewhere else. I would lean towards trying to re-sign him, but I still think he has a ways to go as a pure PG. He has too many turnovers, takes too many bad shots, but most importantly I just don't see him feeding guys for easy shots enough.

Sure, Kidd CAN help him with all that but there's no guarantee. Pure PG skills can be taught, but there's also just natural skill/ court awareness too.

Knight (And Middleton) are both restricted free agents, meaning the Bucks have the right to match any offer they formally accept, hence where a sign-and-trade comes in (which is how they got both of them in the first place, by trading Jennings)

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Is a sign-and-trade of Knight in the offseason a possibility? And what would a deal like that usually land in return? Does OJ Mayo have any trade value with his contract? And is a FA signing of a quality player quite as far-fetched as it used to be since a new arena is just a vote away and we have a coach whom players seem to like playing for? And if we're targeting a PG or defensive Center in the draft but want to move up to get a more impact one, could that realistically be accomplished? As much as I'd like to see someone like Mudiay on the team, most mocks have him going #2, and we certainly don't have what Minnesota gave up to get a #1.

I think Knight is absolutely untradeable at this juncture. Each season he's taking a step forward, and damn near got himself an All-Star berth this year. When is the last time we could say that about a Buck? Redd's illegitimate spot?

IMO Knight is essential to us taking the next step. Players don't have a specific position in Kidd's system, so we can get away with a combo guard like him.

Lock up Middleton. For those who are upset about trading Tobias Harris, while Harris is averaging more points and rebounds per 36 minutes Middleton has a higher 2-pt., 3-pt., and FT shooting % than Harris, and Middleton is also averaging more assists, more steals, and fewer turnovers per 36 minutes than Harris. For his career, Middleton has made >41% of his 3-point attempts and is >44% this season.

Sure, looking back the Bucks (read: Herb Kohl) probably shouldn't have traded Harris (we'll see how the draft picks pan out), but it has allowed Middleton to shine and the stats suggest that Middleton is a more efficient player. The Bucks probably would have shopped Harris anyway after drafting Parker, as he wouldn't have been projected to get much playing time behind Parker, GA, and Middleton.

And how the heck did the Bucks get Dudley plus a protected (likely late) 1st round pick for Delfino, Raduljica, and a 2nd? Dudley is hitting 57% of 2-pt. shots and 41% of 3-point shots. With his relatively low salary they could easily flip him for a late 1st round pick, essentially trading a mid-2nd round pick and dumping Delfino for two late first-round picks.

Think Parker fits that description of we want. While is not naturally a stud on defense, he works hard at it and will continue to get better. As for passing, locker room, and leadership.... He is 100% perfect fit. He is a team first, unselfish, smart, no ego, hard working kid. Coaches dream to have that and he is perfect fit for Kidd and the Bucks. Only issue with Parker is athletically he matches up better against 4 but 4s are more physical than him....3s are as physical as him but too quick. With that said, he was really coming around playing the 4 and getting after the boards

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Incredible win, this is a game they lose early on in season. Great defense, absolutely great! Wish Giannis develops some type of jump shot eventually, kills him and his scoring that he can't shot a jump shot at all. Still 12/12 not bad.

Only 8 players, only 7 contributed really (O Bryant only played 9 minutes)

No Parker, no Knight, no Ilyasova, no Pachulia, no Sanders, no Marshall, and no Mayo for the second half on the road against the #2 team in the East... no problem.

Only one road game over the next three weeks. Hopefully they can get some healthy bodies back by Friday as they will have three games in four days.... and hopefully they don't look past the Lakers.

I would guess that most .500 teams beat bad teams and lose to good teams.

They are by far the worst in the league for an above .500 team vs other above .500 teams.

http://espn.go.com/nba/standings/_/type/expanded

Of the 15 teams in the league over .500, only 2 other teams are more than 1 game below .500 vs over .500 teams -- Phoenix and Washington.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I would guess that most .500 teams beat bad teams and lose to good teams.

They are by far the worst in the league for an above .500 team vs other above .500 teams.

http://espn.go.com/nba/standings/_/type/expanded

Of the 15 teams in the league over .500, only 2 other teams are more than 1 game below .500 vs over .500 teams -- Phoenix and Washington.

It feels like they are playing everyone close though...would be curious to see more information. In a couple of years though the record may be reversed. I find it very encouraging to watch this team...never in a million years did I think I would love Dudley when we got him but he may be my 2nd favorite player on the team (Giannis #1).

Every single one of their players is a role player....as much as I love Giannis, right now the deficiencies in his game make him a good role player, not a star...Knight and Middleton, Bayless and Pachulia, Dudley and the rest....all role players...the fact that this team is 26-22 is amazing....Kidd has been worth at least 8 games...the talent level of the team is more along the line of Indiana, 18-30ish is what their record should be

Giannis really just needs to get a jump shot. If he can pose a threat out there while having that freak athletic ability he could become a star quickly. But becoming a good jump shooter just isn't that easy. Knight is the only player resembling a star right now; but both Parker and Giannis have the ability to make that next step.

Knight is not a role player, role players don't carry a team on his back for two seasons while just missing a reserve spot as an All-Star (still may be an All-Star) Giannis is a jumper away from being one of the deadliest players in NBA. If he just develops an okay jumper he'd prob be averaging 17-20 pts a game easy. He averages 12 points not being able to shot past 8 ft. He's a currently like a 28% fg% jump shooter

1 thing the Bucks really need is: a rebounder! I don't care if he is as terrible offensively as the NBA has seen if he can just be nasty on the boards.... Bucks currently don't have anyone to rebound. Giannis leads way with 6 a game.... Game in and game out rebounding is the biggest issue. Offensive reloads are unreal and non stop. We just need someone to step up more inside. Henson has disappointed me in that area, last year he had a good amount of double doubles and was real good on boards & I'm not seeing it this year when he is given a chance

Middleton is going to be a star if they let him blossom. He can flat out shoot.

Amazing how much better he looks when he doesn't play alongside Knight.

1 thing the Bucks really need is: a rebounder! I don't care if he is as terrible offensively as the NBA has seen if he can just be nasty on the boards.... Bucks currently don't have anyone to rebound. Giannis leads way with 6 a game.... Game in and game out rebounding is the biggest issue. Offensive reloads are unreal and non stop. We just need someone to step up more inside. Henson has disappointed me in that area, last year he had a good amount of double doubles and was real good on boards & I'm not seeing it this year when he is given a chance

Reggie Evans.

1 thing the Bucks really need is: a rebounder! Offensive reloads are unreal and non stop. We just need someone to step up more inside. Henson has disappointed me in that area, last year he had a good amount of double doubles and was real good on boards & I'm not seeing it this year when he is given a chance

Henson has been forced to play a lot of Center this year, and he's done a decent job holding off his own man, so at least it's a draw. But yea, stats show what you're seeing. 5th in Opponents Offensive Rebounds.

Other fun facts, many of these won't surprise you:

3rd in TO

2nd in opponents TO

25th in 3PFG attempts

27th in FT Attempts

And the big ones:

6th in FG%

3rd in Opponents FG%

So, they get out-rebounded, they turn the ball over a ton, and don't get to the line. But they're above .500 because they cause a lot of TO themselves, and more importantly out-shoot their opponent almost every night.

They are playing really, really good team defense, by switching constantly on the perimeter and dealing with pick 'n rolls by giving up 18 foot jumpers.

Where this fails, is when good teams attack or have a superstar to take guys one on one when they get a mismatch.

Their offense is mediocre at best, they are 9th in EFG% (which accounts for the fact that 3's are worth more than 2's), solidly in the middle pack of 12 teams between .510 and .496 EFG%.

Honestly, I can't believe how well they are playing, all things considered (injuries, Sanders, etc) but they've really been beating the dregs of the league, and been awful against the good teams.

Excited to watch Golden State & Dallas tonight.

Love watching the Warriors whip the ball around and shoot the lights out.

Heck of a finish tonight. Bucks hit three 3's in the last minute (including one by Mayo to tie with .5 left). Then proceeded to win in OT. Bucks really looked flat and still managed to pull one out, albeit against a really bad Lakers team.

Rebounding was yet again a huge issue, as LA just killed them on the offensive glass. But wins are wins. Fun game to watch for sure.

Heck of a finish tonight. Bucks hit three 3's in the last minute (including one by Mayo to tie with .5 left). Then proceeded to win in OT. Bucks really looked flat and still managed to pull one out, albeit against a really bad Lakers team.

Rebounding was yet again a huge issue, as LA just killed them on the offensive glass. But wins are wins. Fun game to watch for sure.

Brandon Knight is one hell of a clutch player. Granted it was a poor team on paper, but I love seeing us battle one out there and not give in. These kinds of wins are going to be valuable down the road to these young kids...they're figuring out how to become winners.

Don't look now, but the Bucks are closing in on the vaunted Chicago Bulls for the #5 seed...the same Bulls that feature a lineup of Derrick Rose (max player if healthy), Jimmy Butler (soon to be max player), Pau Gasol (allstar), and Joakim Noah (allstar). Contrast that with Brandon Knight, Jared Dudley, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Khris Middleton, and John Henson and it makes it all the more impressive, regardless of who we're beating.

If this team had a healthy Parker and Sanders, they would be a legit contender to make the NBA Finals. Not the favorite mind you, but it would have been possible. Coming off a 15 win season, that is astounding.

Also, for those of you who doubted me, you now see the state legislature has said no way will they pass Walker's plan for funding the new arena. At one point I was highly confident something will get worked out. Then, I'm constantly reminded this is Milwaukee and Wisconsin, and there's a real possibility this drags on forever and we'll be watching the Seattle Bucks in a couple years.

Then, I'm constantly reminded this is Milwaukee and Wisconsin, and there's a real possibility this drags on forever and we'll be watching the Seattle Bucks in a couple years.

There's no way the owners let this happen.

Archived