Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2014 - 2015 (part 1)

homer

Bucks to sign Martin to a 10 day deal, which isn't really the story.

The roster is at 15, so a corresponding move has to be made. This article suggester releasing Inglis or Wolters. I would hate to see Inglis released since we took him over KJ McDaniels or Joe Harris. Wolters is just a guy so wouldn't bother me.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2015/01/bucks-kenyon-martin-deal.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Edit: bucks are expected to waive Wolters

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which explains why Wolters got so many minutes last night. Pretty classy move by the Bucks to do that, knowing they would be cutting him. Giving other teams some more film on him.

Martin deal is meh. Nothing to lose I guess, but I don't him taking minutes away from Henson and OBryant.

Back to Larry, does anyone know if he can be cut, and get that roster exemption where he doesn't count against the cap- ala Drew Gooden?

Which explains why Wolters got so many minutes last night. Pretty classy move by the Bucks to do that, knowing they would be cutting him. Giving other teams some more film on him.

or could have something to do with the 20 point lead they had. He played a lot last season, teams have film and know what he can do.

What's lost in the discussion is Ilyasova. If he's out this long with a concussion it must be pretty severe.

Regardless of what the real issue is with Sanders, if he and Ilyasova are out for the time being then they need some depth in the frontcourt until at least one of them is back. That's why they are signing Martin to a 10-day contract, not a full contract.

Even though it is a 10 day contract the Bucks were still forced to get rid of someone. Was it worth getting rid of Wolters for a 10 days of Kenyon Martin? Obviously Wolters isn't in the long term plans on the Bucks; it just seems shortsighted to dump him to sign an over the hill player to a 10 day contract.

It seems, to me at least, that there is probably a near endless supply of Nate Wolters-like players floating around the NBA and D-League. The Bucks are short on big bodies and needed to add one. Not a huge loss/addition IMO...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Why are the really wasting their time on Kenyon Martin. Wolters was and probably always will be a end of the bench type player but what the Bucks really hope to gain by adding an ancient Martin?

He is a big body, a leader, has been a winner, solid big for filler time and good vet for the young guys. They have Zaza, Henson, and O'Bryant as the only big bodies who are available to play right now at 4 or 5.... unless you like Dudley, Middleton, Giannis, Marshall playing the 4 all the time against much bigger, stronger, more aggressive rebounders, then adding another big body until Sanders grows up and Ersan actually touches a court then I see why you don't see the gains.

He has a 10 day contract and if Sanders and Ersan come back he is prob out after his contract expires. If they are not, he will get another 10 day contract until they are back

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I understand the need for a big to give them some minutes. It's just that I would rather have Jeff Adrien. I really liked the toughness he brought last year, and at least with him there's a chance he stays on the roster and serve as a useful bench player beyond this season.

Seems silly that you aren't allowed to demote someone to the NBDL or put someone on IR to clear up a roster spot when you are in the situation that the bucks are in.

That's why teams were allowed to expand their rosters to 15 a few years ago (but only keep 12 active).

Jeff Adrien hasn't cleared waivers yet, and the Bucks probably wanted someone ready for tonight's game so I'm guessing that was a deciding factor. It's a 10-day contract; the Bucks can release Martin at any time. But if we are talking winning games right now... there's a reason Adrien is on his fifth team in five years and Martin was the #1 overall pick in the 2000 draft. I think Kidd has earned the right to be trusted with his judgment.

boy Kenyon Martin was sure energetic when he first got into the game last night. Assuming the short-term-ness of his contract will reign in his attitude problems, some toughness and a big body will be a nice addition to this team.

Larry Sanders suspended for violating the League drug policy. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2332640-larry-sanders-suspended-for-violating-nba-drug-policy-latest-details-reaction

No announcement on just what drug it was, and I guess his current absence does not count toward the suspension time. Looks like he's got a heck of a lot of personal problems to deal with.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Found this take from that article interesting.....

The Milwaukee Bucks have been among the NBA's most pleasant surprises this season, but maintaining their high level of play may prove difficult as the league has suspended center Larry Sanders.

Sanders hasn't been an integral part of the puzzle this year. Would they be better if Sanders was getting 10 boards and 3 blocks a game? Absolutely. But he hasn't been 'that guy' this year, and they're over .500 right now, and he's been gone 10 games anyways. This snippet from the article just doesn't make a lot of sense.

http://www.wisn.com/politics/walker-announces-bucks-arena-financing-plan/30941062?Content+Type=Story&linkId=11981971&utm_campaign=WISN+12+NEWS+-+wisn12&utm_medium=FBPAGE&utm_source=Social

if this passes the legislature, the bucks will have enough money to build this arena.

I really wish we got more details from the ownership (preliminary drawings, location).

Anyone with a financial background (unlike me) have any insight as to how much sense this plan makes?

Seems to make plenty of sense to me - either let the Bucks spend the money they are making for the state in the first place and reap the rewards down the line, or watch them leave and take all that future money with them. Plus with the fallback of making any new ownership pay off the rest of the arena in a hopefully-never-gonna-happen scenario of the Bucks getting sold and leaving town, seems like worst case scenario is we get a fancy new arena out of it (NHL team anyone??? A guy can wish) But, then again, all I saw was the man who implemented the plan talk about it...

Please leave politics out of it, just curious about the financial nuts and bolts, precedents, etc.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Funny enough, I just read something about contemplating a Milwaukee NHL team tonight. Not sure if I believe we really have the market for it, but I'd certainly cheer for them.

I don't see how Walker's bill isn't a good thing for the state, being that he is proposing using athlete's tax money to put right back into the payments (my understanding). The Bucks are doing their part by being a hell of an enjoyment this season, so time for us to finish the job and secure them here for the next 30 years.

I can't get fired up about any plan without seeing an architectural drawing of the building. What are they going to put in it? Where will it be located? What do they expect to draw other than basketball and concerts?

How is this different from any other NBA arena? How much will seats cost? Will Milwaukee support a team at those prices? What will the building look like?

I'm not opposed to them building a world class facility, and to put some of that on the public, but it has to be awesome to draw any interest outside of the Milwaukee area.

Funny enough, I just read something about contemplating a Milwaukee NHL team tonight. Not sure if I believe we really have the market for it, but I'd certainly cheer for them.

I don't see how Walker's bill isn't a good thing for the state, being that he is proposing using athlete's tax money to put right back into the payments (my understanding). The Bucks are doing their part by being a hell of an enjoyment this season, so time for us to finish the job and secure them here for the next 30 years.

That's correct. The estimate I heard is that this type of revenue (which would include taxes on both home & visiting player & coach salaries) is currently about $6.5M annually. Not sure how much it will realistically be able to be raised, & what kind of impact that will mean on the funding of the arena. It also means that those tax dollars will not be available for the other functions they currently are used to fund.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm going to try to explain this, at least from my understanding:

The current 6.5M being brought in by taxing the Bucks & their opponents is earmarked to stay within the current budget.

However, in 2016-2017, the television budget is going to nearly triple, which will massively increase the salary cap in the NBA. The additional tax revenue brought in beyond the 6.5M is what will be used to pay off the bond.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived