Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2014 - 2015 (part 1)

homer
The core of this team isn't anywhere near their peak.

I don't think you can make a blanket statement like that. It's not just age, it's about NBA experience too. Henson, for example, is in his 3rd year. Do you really think he'll be much different/better 3 years from now? Because I can't picture him becoming a stretch 4, drilling bombs from behind the arc. He's been essentially the same player since his first game in the NBA. Can he get better? Sure, but it's hard to project him higher than being a good guy on the bench to give you some minutes.

Same with Larry. Sure, he's still realtively young- but he "is what he is" at this point don't you think? So there's no guarantee at all that just because Knight is young, he will develop into more of a true PG, have better shot selection, etc. He's played quite a bit of NBA basketball and hasn't changed yet.

Now, I'm not saying all this to be negative. I am excited about the future, just responding to the notion that just because Knight is young, he'll get better.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Knight has already gotten better this year compared to last year. Turnovers are up a bit otherwise everything else has trended pretty positively. I wouldn't consider him an All Star by any means but he is a pretty solid PG at the moment. I don't think his ceiling is too much higher than where he is right now but he is should be considered a good quality player. He just obviously isn't and won't be on that Rose, Paul, Irving, level. I like him a lot more than I like Jennings that's for sure.

For cryin' out loud, Knight is 22 years old. You can't expect him to have the decision-making ability of a 29-year-old veteran.

You can't expect a PG to learn that either though. It's typically an either you have it or you don't. Knight is fine as a 6th man scorer. Not as a PG, unless he's willing to be like a Mario Chalmers or something.

The human brain isn't fully developed until about age 25. This is why decision-making skills are worse the younger people are. (It is also why rental car companies historically would not rent to people under age 25.) So yes, you can expect decision-making skills to improve if someone is only 22.

The human body reaches peak physical condition around age 27-28. Coupled with the human brain not fully developed until age 25, and that is why I predict the aforementioned 19-25 year-olds to have the potential to get better.

True, but we're talking about instincts, court awareness, basketball IQ, if you will. That iss more art than science. For any of you that have coached basketball at the youth level, you'll know what I'm talking about. Some kids just "get it" early on, others don't and never do all the way up through high school. They can learn the game, learn the plays and get better...but still never acquire the basketball instincts other kids had from the very beginning.

Knight is in his 4th year in the NBA, and has played highly competitive basketball for most of his life. Sure, he can improve. But after all this time he is an ideal 6th man, not an ideal starting PG.

Brandon Knight has never been taught how to be a point guard until this season. You can already see his growth this season as a point guard since working with Kidd. Really is the heart of the team. He leads team in minutes by far, he sells him self out each night. He rebounds, passes (getting better), and is the guy with the ball in his hands at end of the game. Effort, explosiveness, and ability to get to the line are huge parts of his game. I can't stand the hate on his shot selection......it's as if we did not have to live with watching Brandon Jennings for as long as we did. Knight actually can shot and is asked to score since Giannis and Parker are not there yet. Middleton is not a go to guy. Mayo would most likely be the next scorer in line.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Reality tour begins now. The Bucks have had the easiest schedule in the NBA to date, that is about to change. Don't get me wrong, still impressive they have won a bunch of games against anybody- we're talking about a team that won 15 games all of last year.

They have been a pleasant surprise but they won't be able to compete with the top 10 in the NBA yet this year. They might beat a couple good teams here or there but to make the playoffs they need to keep beating the bad teams. It is apparent they won't be anywhere close to the top 5 picks this year so you might as well play for the playoffs. If the playoffs started today they would have a #4 seed which is kind of nuts.

Giannis has really exceeded my expectations so far; Parker has been a little slow to come on but he has hardly been bad. Definitely a fun team to watch.

They've had the easiest schedule in the league through 20 games, and they were 11-9.

The East might have a playoff team with 35 wins this year, so they have a shot... but if they don't make the playoffs, they might have the 7th worst record. Hilarious.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I am truly not concerned with whether or not they make the playoffs this year, but it's very obvious this team finally has a direction.

I don't care if they make the playoffs, but I'd rather not see them tank if they don't make it. I want to see these young guys growing and trying and maturing into their roles and abilities as this year goes on. If they make the playoffs, great..... if they don't..... oh well. I'm just happy to see this franchise headed in the right direction with some dynamic young players.

this draft is clearly not as strong as last years and I am not sure if there is a parker in the draft. I'd rather the bucks try to put a good feeling into the people deciding whether they want to build an arena than go dumpster diving with the sixers for the #1 pick.

Who knows, the bucks may have the luck of the cavs this season anyway.

this draft is clearly not as strong as last years and I am not sure if there is a parker in the draft.

Not as deep for sure, but Okafor and Towns are at the level of a Parker. Also interesting that Looney could be a top 5 pick.

But yea, they need to just keep playing hard and wherever they end up, they end up.

Next draft the Bucks probably should target a PG or SG. If they would luck into #1 they absolutely should take Okafor; he would fill in perfectly at the #5. Then you let Sanders be a really good backup or you trade him.

However in all likelihood they will be drafting in the #10-#18 range where they would be looking at guys like D'Angelo Russell from Ohio State, Myles Turner from Texas, Caris LeVert from Michigan, Tyus Jones from Duke, and perhaps the two Wisconsin players.

I always figured that this was the case but this is scary and not good.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2014/12/central-hammond-gasol-pistons.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Hammond should be making the decisions, the fact that the owner is the deciding vote in a disagreement between the 2, really concerns me.

I think that quote is taken out of context. The idea being that if the two of them aren't in agreement, it probably isn't something the team should do.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

That's a good way to make sure nothing ever gets done.

We know Kidd loves Ersan but say Hammond has a great, can't pass up deal for him. Will Kidd veto the trade because he likes Ersan or will he actually let Hammond trade him?

Hammond should be making the decisions, the fact that the owner is the deciding vote in a disagreement between the 2, really concerns me.

This has concerned me fro mthe beginning. Not sure how true this is, to what degree various people get involved etc. But you have two majority Owners, the GM, and then the HC who has a voice. That's potentially four people making decisions, at least at some level. If that's the case, why don't they just axe Hammond already and make Kidd the GM.

That's a good way to make sure nothing ever gets done.

We know Kidd loves Ersan but say Hammond has a great, can't pass up deal for him. Will Kidd veto the trade because he likes Ersan or will he actually let Hammond trade him?

I don't know. I think that if you have two people who are aligned in what they want (long term success) that the vast majority of the time they will be thinking the same in regards to transactions.

Archived