Brewer Fanatic

Schafer recalled, Herrera optioned

markedman5

Good, now dfa bianchi and give velez a shot!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Velez thru 64 games is hitting .313/.371/.850

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If scoots cant hit lefties id think pretty good

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Verified Member
I was kind of hoping they might give Hermida a shot.......842 ops inlcuding 10 hrs.....probably wanted Shafer because he can play center.....not sure if Hermida can?

Woah, didn't even realize Jeremy Hermida was in the Brewers system. Anybody else remember when he seemed like the best prospect in baseball?

Shafer's hitting was crummy during his assignment. Huge defensive upgrade over Herrera though.

Problem with Velez is he's been playing LF most of the time, with some 2B thrown in...no SS or 3B. Same thing with Hermida in CF, he's exclusively a corner guy, playing RF in Nashville. Think Roenicke does enough mix and matching with unfamiliar positions already. Pete Orr is probably the best option in Nashville to take Bianchi's spot...though I'd take the ball girl over Bianchi.

Can't we trade for a 4th outfielder? With Ryan a bit questionable with his health and the lack of hitting from the bench, it would be nice to pick up an insurance policy.

There are like 9 4th OF's in AAA. Problem is, we have two backup infielders that only backup 1 IF position, so we can't carry a backup corner OF.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Pretty good chance Hermida will be added to the 40-man soon, 9/1 at the latest. The Brewers will need his bat on the bench in September for pinch-hitting, if not sooner. I think Velez has been playing LF with the eye on him being a utility guy next year; at least give him some experience at another position so he isn't terrible if he has to play somewhere besides 2B.

Can't we trade for a 4th outfielder? With Ryan a bit questionable with his health and the lack of hitting from the bench, it would be nice to pick up an insurance policy.

Only if we aren't giving away too much because that player is only going to get spot starts and PH duties. And anyone you pick up has to be able to man CF because we don't have enough spots on the bench. How many guys are out there that wouldn't cost much that can play every position and are a substantial upgrade on Schafer that are on a team out of it? I don't know.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The problem with our bench inflexibility (Weeks and Overbay) is that it forces us to use a guy like Schafer as our 4th OFer, when he's more suited as a 5th OF/defensive replacement/last man off the bench.

Ah well......at this point it's very clearly a case of "this is what it is." If Melvin and co don't think it's a problem by now, they obviously won't look to resolve it this season.

Archived