Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Thurs. 7/3

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Thursday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Nashville: RHP Taylor Jungmann at home vs. Memphis (Cardinals), 6:45 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Jeff Hem is the play-by-play voice of the Sounds; follow him on Twitter @jeffhempbp; we'll link to his blog updates at On the Air…and Off

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Nashville games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $49.99 season-long package ($12.99 to pay for a single month). The audio feed is from the home team. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

Huntsville: RHP Andy Moye at Mississippi (Braves), 6:45 PM pre-game, 7:00 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Steve Jarnicki is the new play-by-play voice of the Stars - welcome aboard! Follow Steve on Twitter @SteveJarnicki. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be broadcast.

MiLB.TV - It appears seven of the ten Southern League teams telecast their home games (not the Stars).

NOTE: Mississippi does broadcast their games via MiLB.TV.

Brevard County: LHP Hobbs Johnson at Daytona (Cubs), 5:05 PM pre-game, 5:35 gametime

Free Live Audio Link -- Select the proper link based on listed schedule

Dave Walkovic returns as the play-by-play voice of the 'Tees; follow the Brevard broadcast booth staff on Twitter @BCManateesRadio, as all games are scheduled to be broadcast in 2014.

No Florida State League games are available via MiLB.TV.

Wisconsin: LHP Tyler Alexander at home vs. Cedar Rapids (Twins), 6:45 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link - 1280 AM WNAM

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

For the $49.95 season-long package, fans in Brewer Nation can watch all Sounds games, Stars' road games from seven Southern League locales, and all Timber Rattlers home games and some road games.

NOTE: Thirty-nine (!) of the Rattlers' 70 home games will be broadcast on TV this season. Time Warner Cable SportsChannel (9) and WACY-TV My NEW32 (30) will split duties. We'll let you know when and who, and remember to refer to the Rattlers' full TV schedule so you can coordinate your DVR activity.

Helena: RHP Devin Williams at Great Falls (White Sox), 7:45 PM pre-game, 8:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

There's a new Voice of the Helena Brewers in 2014, as Dustin Daniel (@dustin__daniel on Twitter) takes over for legendary Steve Wendt. We look forward to Dustin building his own legacy moving forward.

MiLB.TV -- When the H-Crew makes their way to Grand Junction, Orem, and Idaho Falls (one series each), those games will be available to watch online.

Arizona Rookie (Maryvale): RHP Jim Henderson in his first rehab outing at home vs. the Angels' kids, 12:00 PM gametime; RHP Caleb Smith will follow-up; never audio for games in this league

Miller Park Prospects - Arizona League Primer

DSL Brewers: at home vs. the DSL Tigers, 9:30 AM, although game data won't be available until later in the day

We're also going to lock in the link to Brad Krause's fantastic Miller Park Prospects - Dominican Summer League primer right here, at least for the first couple of months of the DSL campaign, for your easy review. Brad will also be adding DSL Link Report duties to his Brevard coverage for us here. Thanks, Brad!

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Look for these just prior to the respective game times --

Nashville Media Notes - it's a unique link each day, but look for it under the "Roster" banner on the Sounds' site.

Brevard County Media Notes - again, it's a unique link each day, but look for it under the "Multimedia" banner on the Manatees' site.

Wisconsin Media Notes - Linked on the Rattler Radio blog

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Brewer Fanatic Staff
Maryvale is under way with an early start for 7/3. Jim Henderson starting in a rehab stint. Burkhalter was supposed to start, will probably be in later.

Caleb Smith came in with 1 out in the second. Hopefully not a setback for JH.

Whoa, sorry about that. Maryvale's only schedled day game this year, and Jim Henderson was excited about it!

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Jimmy Nelson, Donovan Hand Named To PCL All-Star Team

Pitchers To Represent Sounds, Pacific Coast League At Triple-A All-Star Game On July 16 In Durham

Nashville Sounds

Wow, even Donovan Hand would admit that's an awkward honor...

PCL Announces All-Star Roster

By Pacific Coast League / MILB.com

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Remember the Brewers Minor League Phase Rule 5 pick last December who was, then wasn't?

Nice feature story here via the Seattle Times --

Vinnie Catricala changes uniforms, and his direction in life

Catricala was waiting for the A’s to call him with spring-training plans so he could tell them of his decision, but they never contacted him. A new wrinkle developed in December when he received a text from the trainer of the Brewers’ Class AAA Nashville affiliate, welcoming him to the team. Milwaukee had selected Catricala in the AAA portion of the Rule 5 draft.

“That was totally unexpected,’’ he said. “I felt bad for the Brewers organization because they picked me and they could have picked someone else. But that’s just kind of the way it happened. I didn’t do it intentionally.’’

The Brewers were understanding, as was Catricala’s agent, Jeff Booris. And when he explained his thinking to friends, they supported him as well, even the ones who initially couldn’t believe he’d walk away from the chance for a major-league payday.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brevard Press Release:

Cliff Lee Coming to Space Coast Stadium

VIERA, Fla. – The Clearwater Threshers have announced that Philadelphia Phillies left-handed pitcher Cliff Lee will be joining the team as part of his Major League rehab assignment. Lee is tentatively scheduled to pitch for the Threshers when they visit the Brevard County Manatees on Sunday, July 6 at 5:05 p.m. at Space Coast Stadium in Viera.

The game on Sunday is scheduled for a 5:05 p.m. first pitch. Gates will open at 4:00 p.m.

Lee, 35, is currently rehabbing from a left elbow strain. He was placed on the 15-day disabled list on May 19.

A four-time All-Star and 2008 American League Cy Young Award winner, Lee is ninth among active pitchers in career wins with 143. That places him third among active left-handers behind CC Sabathia of the New York Yankees (208) and Toronto Blue Jays starter Mark Buehrle (196).

Maryvale is under way with an early start for 7/3. Jim Henderson starting in a rehab stint. Burkhalter was supposed to start, will probably be in later.

Caleb Smith came in with 1 out in the second. Hopefully not a setback for JH.

Whoa, sorry about that. Maryvale's only schedled day game this year, and Jim Henderson was excited about it!

I am actually curious why Jim Henderson went more than just one inning. All he usually pitches is 1 inning so I think it is a good thing that he was brought out to start a second inning.

Pioneer notes: DeMuth delivers with hit tool

Helena third baseman, drafted out of Indiana, zeros in on fastballs

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/4/1/6/82778416/cuts/AP13060908057_ob4x6d3e_z3vaoe07.jpg

Dustin DeMuth, drafted out of Indiana, had 24 hits and a .592 slugging percentage in his first 13 games. (Phil Sears/AP)

Dustin DeMuth struck out just four times in his first 54 professional at-bats. Entering Wednesday, the rookie Helena third baseman was leading the Pioneer League in hitting with a sizzling .444 average.

There's nothing complicated about the left-handed-hitting DeMuth's approach at the plate. He's been doing it his whole life.

"I'm just attacking fastballs early in the count," DeMuth explained. "And if they do throw me offspeed early, I try to let that go as much as possible. I'm not trying to hit a home run every time or hit a double every time. If it's pitched outside, I just try to hit it to left field. And if it's inside, pull it."

After a 3-1 victory over Great Falls on Tuesday, DeMuth's numbers looked like something out of a video game: 24 hits, a .483 on-base percentage and a .593 slugging percentage, all of which ranked in the top-two league-wide after 13 games.

The Brewers love DeMuth for his refined eye at the plate. He's renowned in scouting circles for his smooth, compact swing and his ability to hit for a high average. He doesn't have a ton of power, but he's a proven all-fields hitter who consistently puts balls in the gap. Defensively, he has an excellent arm.

DeMuth's quick transition to professional baseball shouldn't come as too big a surprise considering his indomitable four-year career at Indiana University, where his coach, Tracy Smith, considered him one of the best athletes on a campus that offers 22 intercollegiate sports.

DeMuth quarterbacked his high school football team in LaPorte, Indiana, and was also a standout basketball player there. During his senior year, he made all-conference and was named to the all-area team in three sports.

But baseball is his game.

"I just realized that this was my best chance to go far," he said.

At Indiana, DeMuth was the scourge of the Big Ten. He hit .377 as a junior and .374 as a senior, and finished with a career average of .344. He was drafted in the eighth round by the Twins in 2013 but chose to stay in school. This year, the Brewers came calling in the fifth round.

"I wouldn't trade it for anything," DeMuth said. "My senior year in college, being a leader on that team and with the team that we had there. … It gave me a year to mature and helped me realize what kind of player I am and how good I can be if I work hard.

"I think I'm athletic. I can play a lot of positions on the baseball field. I can run, I can hit, I can throw, I can hit for power. … My athleticism has helped me with all those facets of the game. Hopefully it will carry me a long way."

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: AZL Angels 9, @AZL Brewers 6

A-Crew drops to a 7-5 record...

Maryvale Box Score

Brewers trailed only 4-3 entering a wild 9th inning.

Most importantly, yay, Jim Henderson --

AZL Angels Top of the 1st

Ayendy Perez grounds out, pitcher Jim Henderson to first baseman Tanner Norton.

Alex Abbott singles on a ground ball to right fielder Monte Harrison.

With Michael Snyder batting, Alex Abbott picked off and caught stealing 2nd base, pitcher Jim Henderson to first baseman Tanner Norton to shortstop Jonathan Oquendo.

Michael Snyder flies out to center fielder Troy Stokes.

AZL Angels Top of the 2nd

Fran Whitten grounds out, second baseman Daniel Leonardo to first baseman Tanner Norton.

Pitching Change: Caleb Smith replaces Jim Henderson.

Monte Harrison and Sthervin Matos each swiped two bases as the Brewers were 5-for-5 in that regard.

Still just 18 years old, switch-hitting second baseman Daniel Leonardo singled, walked, and successfully sacrificed as his nice summer progresses.

Day off for Jake Gatewood.

Maryvale Game Log

RHP Andy Hillis must be rehabbing an injury, otherwise he would have opened minimally in Appleton. Yet, this was tough to read, hang in there, big Andy --

AZL Angels Top of the 9th

Pitching Change: Andy Hillis replaces Alejandro Lavandero.

Juan Moreno walks.

With Ayendy Perez batting, Juan Moreno steals (1) 2nd base.

Ayendy Perez singles on a bunt ground ball to pitcher Andy Hillis. Juan Moreno to 3rd.

Alex Abbott hit by pitch. Ayendy Perez to 2nd.

Michael Snyder walks. Juan Moreno scores. Ayendy Perez to 3rd. Alex Abbott to 2nd.

Fran Whitten hit by pitch. Ayendy Perez scores. Alex Abbott to 3rd. Michael Snyder to 2nd.

Patrick Armstrong walks. Alex Abbott scores. Michael Snyder to 3rd. Fran Whitten to 2nd.

Pitching Change: Max Walla replaces Andy Hillis.

Mario Martinez grounds into a double play, third baseman Sthervin Matos to catcher Milan Post to first baseman Tanner Norton. Michael Snyder out at home. Fran Whitten to 3rd. Patrick Armstrong to 2nd.

With Jose A Rodriguez batting, wild pitch by Max Walla, Fran Whitten scores. Patrick Armstrong to 3rd.

Jose A Rodriguez singles on a line drive to center fielder Troy Stokes. Patrick Armstrong scores.

Franklin Torres walks. Jose A Rodriguez to 2nd.

Juan Moreno flies out to center fielder Troy Stokes.

With none out in the bottom half of the inning, Troy Stokes, who had a fine game otherwise, made the first out at third base --

AZL Brewers Bottom of the 9th

Pitching Change: Nicolas Wagner replaces Josh Frye.

Carlos Belonis singles on a ground ball to center fielder Ayendy Perez.

Milan Post singles on a line drive to center fielder Ayendy Perez. Carlos Belonis to 2nd.

Daniel Leonardo singles on a ground ball to second baseman Juan Moreno. Carlos Belonis to 3rd. Milan Post to 2nd.

Troy Stokes doubles (2) on a line drive to left fielder Patrick Armstrong. Carlos Belonis scores. Milan Post scores. Daniel Leonardo scores. Troy Stokes out at 3rd, left fielder Patrick Armstrong to third baseman Jose A Rodriguez.

Jonathan Oquendo strikes out swinging.

Monte Harrison grounds out, shortstop Franklin Torres to first baseman Michael Snyder.

Harrison is ready to return to night games...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

VIDEO: Awesome, HR Zelous!

Wheeler makes long-awaited Majors debut

By Alex M. Smith / MLB.com

MINNEAPOLIS -- Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre manager Dave Miley pulled Zelous Wheeler out of the on-deck circle on Wednesday.

"Come here," Miley said. "Somebody else is going to hit for you."

Once the confused Wheeler was off the field, the manager broke some unexpected news: The Yankees needed him to catch a flight to Minneapolis.

Wheeler skipped the second game of Scranton's doubleheader and gave his mother, Laverne, and the rest of his family a call he's been waiting to make since being selected by the Brewers in the 2007 First-Year Player Draft.

"She screamed," Wheeler said. "They're excited. They were jumping up and down."

Wheeler, who was in the lineup on Thursday against the Twins for his Major League debut, batted eighth and started at third base. He replaced Yangervis Solarte, who was optioned to Triple-A following Wednesday's 6-3 loss to Tampa Bay.

"He's been struggling in the month of June," manager Joe Girardi said. "We thought we'd send him down to get him going.

"We made it known to him: Hey, you were a big part of our success in the first two months, then you struggled, so go get back on track."

Girardi credited Wheeler's poise and solid Spring Training as two factors for his callup.

"He's relaxed," Girardi said. "His surroundings don't seem to matter. He fit right in during Spring Training. Came to play everyday, and he's a guy who's been in the Minor Leagues a long time, but he just kept fighting."

A few hours before Thursday's game, Wheeler took in the sights at Target Field.

"Just looking up, I'm like, 'Yeah, I'm here,'" Wheeler said. "Wow."

Wheeler made an immediate impact by belting a solo homer off Twins starter Phil Hughes for his first MLB hit to cap a four-run fifth inning.

Archived