Brewer Fanatic

New England road trip ideas

jerichoholicninja

Wife and I are taking a road trip to New England in August for our honeymoon. Any favorite spots or unique places we should hit?

More details! Are you city-only? Like to indulge in the outdoors? Hike? Camp? Just day trips?

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

A site I used when I was picking hikes for a recent trip:

http://www.hikenewengland.com/

Lots of beautiful hikes. This one is one I didn't make it to, but desperately wanted to:

http://www.hikenewengland.com/ArethusaFrankensteinCliffsNH090623.html

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Hanover, NH (home of Dartmouth) is also a nice town.

since you mentioned hiking, I can only say about the Appalachian Trail area in New England. the White Mountains are in New Hampshire and are pretty cool to see--home of Mt. Washington. and most of the mountains in the range are above treeline. there's a hut system in place, somewhat pricey, but I don't believe there's an option for your own personal room.

the mass of thru-hikers will be in Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine then. not sure if this is honeymoon-y, but doing trail magic is fun and a good opportunity to chat with thru-hikers (it's where you give food/drinks away to the hikers passing through).

you could go to Baxter State Park in Maine and climb Mt. Katahdin, where the Appalachian Trail ends.

and I've always heard Acadia National Park in Maine is pretty spectacular.

We did this over 2 weeks in 2000 with 2 kids, 10 & 8. The focus was on natural areas, historical areas, short hiking etc. So not sure if it fits what you'd want. We drove through Canada from Michigan, saw Niagara Falls, Toronto, then headed thru upstate New York(Lake Placid), Vermont, NH, Maine, Boston, Cape Cod, RI, CT. I think you need passports to get into Canada now.

Some highlights besides the Falls:

The Franconia Notch State Park area in NH. Interesting walks/hikes but the Old Man in the Mountain is gone now, though it wasn't all that much. Scenic drives.

Mt. Washington in NH.

Acadia National Park in Maine and the town of Bar Harbor next to it. The town is touristy but still interesting, the Park interesting, great views, hikes. We went on a lobster boat tour and they pull up lobster traps, except there's a law they can't pull up traps on Sunday.

The Freedom trail in Boston is interesting, driving to Cape Cod etc.

The Mystic Aquarium in CT was interesting.

We enjoyed what we did very much though we had to keep in mind the attention span of kids that age so. You can google all these things and more for more info.

Archived