Brewer Fanatic

Pitching Mechanics

igor67

Here's the money quote in regards to the Brewers.

"Baseball largely rejected the use of biomechanical analysis because it didn't have the proper personnel to interpret and use the results. In cases where teams did use biomechanics—especially the current example of the Milwaukee Brewers—teams have seen significant reduction in injuries.

The Brewers are the only team in MLB to have no Tommy John surgeries at the major league level in the last five years. They're also the only team in that period to do biomechanical analysis on all of their pitchers. I don't believe that's a coincidence."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2097866-the-sleeve-that-could-save-baseball-exclusive-look-at-new-mlb-technology

The whole article is quite interesting and not Brewer oriented at all. I'm particularly intrigued by that observation because Doug Thornburg in particular at BP is hypercritical of the Brewers pitching mechanics constantly harping on their poor balance.

I somehow missed this and was about to post the link. Definitely a worthwhile read. A few year back the JSonline had an article where Melvin talked about how he had the organization do a study into developing pitchers and avoiding injuries. While much of it was propitiatory he did mention they learned some things about pitching mechanics along with player build as significant. My guess is this is part of, or a byproduct of, that. It was shortly after that when our pitching development started to outpace our hitting. One of the things I love about Melvin is he admits to himself his deficiencies, in this case developing pitching, is willing to look into what the problem is and addresses them accordingly.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived