Brewer Fanatic

Jorge De La Rosa and Justin Morneau for....

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't what people are talking about with Tulo being expensive. He's signed for a long time for a decent amount of money but if he was a FA he would be looking at a Cano type deal. He has 6 years remaining at $20m each. (His last non option year could go up). That is a saving of $4m per year over Cano before you take into account its 6 years and not 10. The vast majority of teams could afford that contract.

EndAround he is expensive for teams that have a $85-100mil payroll that's what we're talking about. Pretty sure it's easy for those teams to just pay 1/5+ of their entire payroll in to 1 player with 24+ other spots to pay on the season.

Yeah he's not expensive in value but as just stated, Can you imagine the Brewers taking him in today? Sending Segura to Colorado with Nelson and I don't know 3 more prospects? How's the team payroll look after that?

EndAround he is expensive for teams that have a $85-100mil payroll that's what we're talking about. Pretty sure it's easy for those teams to just pay 1/5+ of their entire payroll in to 1 player with 24+ other spots to pay on the season.

Yeah he's not expensive in value but as just stated, Can you imagine the Brewers taking him in today? Sending Segura to Colorado with Nelson and I don't know 3 more prospects? How's the team payroll look after that?

Yes, don't pick up Gallardo's option and Tulo fits in fine. The idea that most teams would have huge issues is just not right.

What would it take from the Brewers? Segura, one of Peralta or Nelson, Jungman, Bradley & Coulter for Tulo?

Not saying I would do this but I am curious what type of package it would take? I assume Colorado needs young pitching?

The Brewers most tradable chip is Zarraga. He's blocked in Milwaukee, is already 25 and realistically only a catcher. He projects as a 1.8 win player right now, and given that Colorado's catchers are terrible he makes sense.

Or... the Brewers wait until after the year and trade Maldy and keep Zarraga as the new backup.

Since Maldy is going to arby, they would save at least $1M. It would also give Maldy a chance to start.

If Zarraga is at least average defensively, I don't think it would be a big problem. And if he isn't ready to start the year, you find some mid-30s retread as the backup until he is. It would give RR a switch hitter off the bench, as he isn't afraid to use up his 2nd catcher during the game to PH.

If Maldy doesn't bring in something of value, then I guess you can see what Zarraga brings. I don't know why MLB teams would like Zarraga better if they are looking to find a starting catcher for 2015.

That depends on what other teams scouts think about his ability to stay behind the plate. As a catcher he's a nice prospect, as a first baseman hes nothing special.

I'm not even going to bother to argue that Coulter has the ability to stay behind the plate right now, but I am really curious as to why people(some people) seem to think it's either Catcher, or 1st base for him?

He's not some big plodding catcher who's defense is questionable. He's a very good athlete who's catching is not refined(and may never be enough to stay behind the plate, but not for lack of athletic ability. And his bat would be just fine at 1st base.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

The Brewers most tradable chip is Zarraga. He's blocked in Milwaukee, is already 25 and realistically only a catcher. He projects as a 1.8 win player right now, and given that Colorado's catchers are terrible he makes sense.

I'm not sure what projections you're using, but the couple I've heard I disagree with pretty strongly. You stated about 3 weeks ago Estrada projected better than Nelson this year in the big leagues, and now Zarraga is a 1.8 catcher?

Then there is also the fact that the Rockies have a 25 year old catcher who's put up big numbers the last two seasons .282/.314/.507 with a OPS of .820 and hit 28 and 21 HR's at ages 23 and 24.

Given that the Rockies aren't competitive this year, I'm guessing they'd rather stick with the guy with big upside over the guy the same age who's minor league numbers are worse than Rosario's MAJOR league numbers (career .792 OPS for the 25 year old Rosario, .767 career minor league OPS for the 25 year old Zarraga who's played 4 games above AA ).

Don't get me wrong, I like Zarraga, and he might be finally realizing his potential, but he's yet to play more than 74 games in a single season, and when you're talking about how bad another team is at a certain position, yet you're suggesting that a guy who's minor league numbers are worse than their current starters major league numbers, I think you're overvaluing him. The Rockies have their catcher of the future and they'll give him more than 60 games in which he hasn't even been that bad to right the ship. They need pitchers who can get ground balls. I think aside from the obvious young arms like Peralta and Nelson, Jungman is a better fit in Colorado than Zarraga.

What would it take from the Brewers? Segura, one of Peralta or Nelson, Jungman, Bradley & Coulter for Tulo?

I don't see the Brewers being in on any trade for someone like Tulo, but your post does make me wonder what Segura's trade value is right now. Do other teams see the poor numbers and run, or do they still look at his potential? I would have to think that trading him at this point would be a definite "sell low."

I'm not even going to bother to argue that Coulter has the ability to stay behind the plate right now, but I am really curious as to why people(some people) seem to think it's either Catcher, or 1st base for him?

Yeah, I thought the speculation was that if he can't stick at catcher, he would be moved to third base or maybe RF. He's supposed to be athletic with a strong arm. I've just heard that he doesn't have "catcher instincts," and that it may take a long time to get him through the system at catcher (if he could make it to the MLB at catcher at all). He'd move much more quickly at another position. Either way, he's got a strong bat, and that is what's going to determine if he makes the big leagues, regardless of what position he's playing.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'm not sure what projections you're using, but the couple I've heard I disagree with pretty strongly. You stated about 3 weeks ago Estrada projected better than Nelson this year in the big leagues, and now Zarraga is a 1.8 catcher?

Then there is also the fact that the Rockies have a 25 year old catcher who's put up big numbers the last two seasons .282/.314/.507 with a OPS of .820 and hit 28 and 21 HR's at ages 23 and 24.

Given that the Rockies aren't competitive this year, I'm guessing they'd rather stick with the guy with big upside over the guy the same age who's minor league numbers are worse than Rosario's MAJOR league numbers (career .792 OPS for the 25 year old Rosario, .767 career minor league OPS for the 25 year old Zarraga who's played 4 games above AA ).

Don't get me wrong, I like Zarraga, and he might be finally realizing his potential, but he's yet to play more than 74 games in a single season, and when you're talking about how bad

another team is at a certain position, yet you're suggesting that a guy who's minor league numbers are worse than their current starters major league numbers, I think you're overvaluing him. The Rockies have their catcher of the future and they'll give him more than 60 games in which he hasn't even been that bad to right the ship. They need pitchers who can get ground balls. I think aside from the obvious young arms like Peralta and Nelson, Jungman is a better fit in Colorado than Zarraga.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-top-10-prospects-currently-by-projected-war-2/

The point isn't Zarraga is a top flight prospect, the point is he is a solid prospect at this point and is blocked in Milwaukee. Holding onto him for a back up is not maximizing his return. He's teh kind of guy who can easily land a spare part to upgrade the Brewers and could be in Colorado right now. The Rays would probably value him much more highly given they know Milwaukee teaches receiving better than anyone else, but finding a match there is difficult unless they take him as a main piece for Zorbrist which I doubt (and Zobrist's market would have to collapse).

Endaround, what use does Colorado have for Zarraga if Wilson Rosario is their Lucroy? I think some team will overpay for Morneau and give up somebody who will have more value than Zarraga seeing limited action as a Backup....Also, I am glad to see we have a Catcher in the system that we could use if need be(i.e. Lucroy goes down for injury) all the more for Milwaukee to keep him. You only move a 3rd Catcher on your roster if somebody comes calling and really offers something you can't turn down for him. You don't go and make him your offer losing your Backup's Backup. The call for Zarraga has to come from the other team, not us offering him.

Not saying I would do this but I am curious what type of package it would take? I assume Colorado needs young pitching?

I'd say Segura, Nelson no doubt due to his strong HR/9 rates. Then? You figure Taylor has to be a part of the trade too.

Or, how about we offer Colorado Braun and Segura for Tulo and Charlie Blackmon?

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-top-10-prospects-currently-by-projected-war-2/

The point isn't Zarraga is a top flight prospect, the point is he is a solid prospect at this point and is blocked in Milwaukee. Holding onto him for a back up is not maximizing his return. He's teh kind of guy who can easily land a spare part to upgrade the Brewers and could be in Colorado right now. The Rays would probably value him much more highly given they know Milwaukee teaches receiving better than anyone else, but finding a match there is difficult unless they take him as a main piece for Zorbrist which I doubt (and Zobrist's market would have to collapse).

I'm still not sure how he's arriving at these projections. How is he arriving at the conclusion that Estrada projects to be more valuable than Nelson? I haven't read much of Carson Cistulli, but he also says that these projections do not represent future value. So I'm just not certain what he's saying. That based on what these players have done at their respective levels in the minor leagues, that would translate to 1.8 WAR for Zarraga for example?

In any event, I digress. I think the logic is inherently flawed when you are using minor league numbers to try and come up with projections, and beyond that, I think we might be relying on these projections a bit too much.

Anyway, I just don't see why Colorado would value Zarraga when they have a catcher the same age who's produced for them. If they're going to trade Morneau, they're likely going to want someone who is a better prospect. At least not someone who's blocked by a player already.

Zobrist may have more value than Morneau, but a 1st basemen in this market hitting .316 with a .518 SLG is pretty damn valuable. I would expect Zarraga to be more of a throw in than the key player in such a trade.

I'm obsessed with the idea of adding Morneau but the problem is the super team friendly contract he's signed for the next 2 and a half years ($9M option in 2016). Why would any team trade an asset like that unless they were blown away? Im afraid its gonna take 3 or 4 prospects to get the job done and even then the Rockies might prefer to just keep him around and regroup for next season. If the Brewers were to go that deep into a trade they better get the Rockies to toss in a reliever. I like the idea of adding Zarraga to the package but you're gonna need quite a bit more than that for the Rockies to pull the trigger. Would you guys do this deal? The more it hurts the more you know its pretty even.

Brewers trade

RHP Taylor Jungmann

C Shawn Zarraga

OF Mitch Haniger

RHP Damien Magnifico / David Goforth

Rockies Trade

Justin Morneau

LaTroy Hawkins

@WiscoSportsNut

I'd rather just let Zarraga play 1B

At this point, this sounds like a pretty decent idea.

Overbay's slam + gritty veteraness + clubhouse awesomeness means that he's not going anywhere... he's a "winner"! 20 years past his prime, but a winner none the less...

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'm obsessed with the idea of adding Morneau but the problem is the super team friendly contract he's signed for the next 2 and a half years ($9M option in 2016). Why would any team trade an asset like that unless they were blown away? Im afraid its gonna take 3 or 4 prospects to get the job done and even then the Rockies might prefer to just keep him around and regroup for next season. If the Brewers were to go that deep into a trade they better get the Rockies to toss in a reliever. I like the idea of adding Zarraga to the package but you're gonna need quite a bit more than that for the Rockies to pull the trigger. Would you guys do this deal? The more it hurts the more you know its pretty even.

Brewers trade

RHP Taylor Jungmann

C Shawn Zarraga

OF Mitch Haniger

RHP Damien Magnifico / David Goforth

Rockies Trade

Justin Morneau

LaTroy Hawkins

I'd jump on that trade. Jungman is a safe bet to be a big league starter and start for 5-6 years, but I think he's going to be league average. Zarraga is putting up big numbers, but never played 74 games. Not exactly a top prospect. Haniger is a legit prospect and I'd even trade out Taylor here. And Magnifico and or Goforth are nice, but far from sure things.

I would like this deal a LOT more if you got Kahnle back from the Rox than Hawkins. Hawkins is still getting it done, but he's got a ridiculously low K rate for a closer. 4.2 K's per 9 IP?

I think the Rox could get more in return however.

Archived