Brewer Fanatic

Jorge De La Rosa and Justin Morneau for....

Hell if Milwaukee were out of it this season Morris would certainly be given a chance in September here.

That is what I would have thought last year, when we were out of it, had no 1B, yet we didn't give him a chance...

There is a difference between a team out of postseason contention playing a guy versus one that is trying for the playoffs. I don't know if the Rockies are the team, but someone out of contention may be more than happy to give the Brewers a little something in a trade to give Morris a three month tryout. The Brewers can't afford to let him bat .180 for a month until he figures it out, when he maybe ends up batting .270 with a .750 OPS thereafter in his career.

We were out of contention last year, but didn't give him the chance. we could have easily afforded a guy hitting .180 for several months until he figured some things out, but we did not give the guy a chance.

All I am saying is that we had the ultimate situation last year to give our possible future 1B a chance, and we didn't do it. Someone in this organization does not believe in Hunter Morris, if that is the case, there may be very few teams out there, even those out of contention, that feel different than us...

If we thought he had any chance of being our guy in the future, last season was the perfect chance for us to allow him to figure some things out, we didn't do it, even in our state of desperation, we ignored the kid.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't feel like Jungmann is an attractive option for a pitcher at Coors. He just reads as a weak #3/Strong #4 which playing for Colorado mean 6.5ERA in Coors and a 4ERA on the Road. Or worthless. Pitching addition for them.

I really feel like Morneau's bat an 1+years left on his contract will command a team's top 1-3 prospect. And that some team will give them that prospect. For Milwaukee we're looking at what? Nelson, Taylor, Arcia, Coulter to be the headliner in the trade for Morneau. Nelson to me by all accts. is now untouchable in any trade scenario.

The idea of Morris being included in Trade doesn't work well since Colorado has a AAA 1b putting up better than Morris numbers with a better hit tool than Morris. So Rox wouldn't want him in a trade.

I just don't know if Taylor,Arcia, or Coulter are big enough names for the Colorado front office to accept to headline a trade for Morneau being that any of those 3 are more than 2 years from truly being added to the ballclub.

Some other team will make an offer with a prospect that is at or near ML ready that will trump Milwaukee's offer.

I don't see us having the prospect after Nelson to acquire Morneau. We should have just paid him 8-9mil a year to play 1b this season for 2 seasons with the 3rd year mutual option.

The Brewers most tradable chip is Zarraga. He's blocked in Milwaukee, is already 25 and realistically only a catcher. He projects as a 1.8 win player right now, and given that Colorado's catchers are terrible he makes sense.

I don't feel like Jungmann is an attractive option for a pitcher at Coors. He just reads as a weak #3/Strong #4 which playing for Colorado mean 6.5ERA in Coors and a 4ERA on the Road. Or worthless. Pitching addition for them.

I really feel like Morneau's bat an 1+years left on his contract will command a team's top 1-3 prospect. And that some team will give them that prospect. For Milwaukee we're looking at what? Nelson, Taylor, Arcia, Coulter to be the headliner in the trade for Morneau. Nelson to me by all accts. is now untouchable in any trade scenario.

The idea of Morris being included in Trade doesn't work well since Colorado has a AAA 1b putting up better than Morris numbers with a better hit tool than Morris. So Rox wouldn't want him in a trade.

I just don't know if Taylor,Arcia, or Coulter are big enough names for the Colorado front office to accept to headline a trade for Morneau being that any of those 3 are more than 2 years from truly being added to the ballclub.

Some other team will make an offer with a prospect that is at or near ML ready that will trump Milwaukee's offer.

I don't see us having the prospect after Nelson to acquire Morneau. We should have just paid him 8-9mil a year to play 1b this season for 2 seasons with the 3rd year mutual option.

I agree with you that all of the offers proposed in this thread would be to low to acquire Morneau for a variety of reasons.

1. He's playing well and wouldn't just be a half year rental. So whoever got him would also have Morneau at a bargain price next year of only 6.75 million.

2. Because of that very team friendly contract and Colorado not being some pinch every penny small market franchise, they could easily decide to just keep him for next season with a healthy roster if a really good offer isn't sent their way.

3. That team friend contract should make Morneau quite attractive to multiple teams at the trade deadline, so trying to get him for fringe prospects like Morris and Jungmann would have very slim odds of completing a trade.

How much are GMs discounting Morneau's rebound because of Coors though? Keeping in mind he has had a couple of very down years.

Obviously Coors is helping him, but he is hitting .284 with an .805 OPS on the road. Not out of this world road numbers, but it shows that he's not just killing it at Coors and being mediocre to bad on the road as a number of hitters have done playing in that ballpark.

With the huge inflation of player salaries, his 5 million dollar salary this year and 6.75 next year would make him a major bargain if his production remains roughly the same.

That doesn't answer my question, how much are the GMs discounting the performance. Even more relevant of the pool of buyers who need a first basemen, how are they viewing the performance? I'm aware of the road numbers which point to the performance being sustainable, but given the length of his struggles the last couple of years that is not exactly the lowest risk of bets. Given our other 1st base options I'm comfortable that it would be a step up, but that says more about the extreme weakness of our situation more than the confidence in Morneau. But the market is not determined by my opinions, it is driven in this case by the opinions of maybe half a dozen people.

That doesn't answer my question, how much are the GMs discounting the performance. Even more relevant of the pool of buyers who need a first basemen, how are they viewing the performance? I'm aware of the road numbers which point to the performance being sustainable, but given the length of his struggles the last couple of years that is not exactly the lowest risk of bets. Given our other 1st base options I'm comfortable that it would be a step up, but that says more about the extreme weakness of our situation more than the confidence in Morneau. But the market is not determined by my opinions, it is driven in this case by the opinions of maybe half a dozen people.

Yeah, but I think you are ignoring that Colorado doesn't have to move Morneau. Everyone except the Brewers may not want him, but that doesn't mean the Brewers have all the leverage. The Rockies I'm sure feel that they will compete for the postseason next year and Morneau will be a part of it.

Still it seems to me that they will want to make room for a a young player like Wheeler or move an OF to 1B to make room for Dickerson when the OFs get healthy and should look to trade Morneau while he has the most value.

I don't think anyone other than a few MLB GMs can answer your question. If I were the Rockies, I would probably kick the tires to see what's out there in trade, but I wouldn't give him away. If someone steps up and makes a good offer, then I'd bite. There's a lack of good first basemen in the majors right now, and most of them aren't on the market. That puts the Rockies in the drivers' seat, so anyone who wants to low-ball them by saying "look what he did last year," will probably not get very far.

He would be a big pick-up for the Brewers, but I wouldn't give up Nelson for him. That pretty much means we could offer some combo of Taylor, Williams, Arcia, Haniger, Jungmann, etc. Since our deepest positions on the farm are OF and SP, I'd probably offer Taylor or Haniger and Jungmann. That's probably not enough to get him, but I'd be hesitant to add anything else. Nelson and Arcia should be nearly untouchable for the Brewers, as Nelson should be in the rotation this year, and Arcia is our future "plan B" if Segura doesn't put it all together.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'll agree that I don't see the Rockies having any interest in Morris. Heck, Kyle Parker isn't a great prospect, but he certainly projects out better than Morris and it seems like the Rockies need help elsewhere.

Colorado would be the worst place in the world for Estrada to play, plus he's only under control one more year. Morris is worthless as a trade chip. Morneau is a solid target, but the Brewers would actually have to give up something they would miss to get him. With his improvement and groundball profile maybe Jungmann could headline, but it might take someone on the Coulter/Taylor/D. Williams tier if there's a lot of competition or if Colorado would rather go for a higher ceiling guy further out.
advocates for the devil

If Colorado is expecting a prospect along the lines of a Coulter for a mid-30s platoon bat, I think they'd be way off base.

Probably but GM's have asked for crazier returns for worse players see the Astros leaked trade notes:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/06/astros-trade-discussion-notes-leaked.html

Notes for the Astros’ summer trade discussions begin at June 17th, 2013. The team ultimately went on to acquire Ronald Torreyes from the Cubs in June, and also dealt veterans Jose Veras, Bud Norris, and Justin Maxwell near the July deadline. The Astros did not end up acquiring any top 100-type prospects, but they sure did ask for the moon. For Norris, the Astros sought Kyle Crick and Clayton Blackburn from the Giants, Dylan Bundy or Kevin Gausman from the Orioles, Marcus Stroman and more from the Blue Jays, Xander Bogaerts, Allen Webster, Jackie Bradley Jr., or Garin Cecchini from the Red Sox, and Tyler Glasnow plus Luis Heredia or Nick Kingham from the Pirates. The Red Sox offered Ryan Lavarnway or Deven Marrero for Norris and were turned down. In the end, the Astros traded Norris and an international draft slot to the Orioles for L.J. Hoes, Josh Hader, and a 2014 competitive balance pick.

When Nationals GM Mike Rizzo called to express interest in middling Astros starting pitcher Lucas Harrell, who had a 5.17 ERA at the time and nearly as many walks as strikeouts, “[Luhnow] told him we would still need a headliner like [Lucas] Giolito because we still value Harrell highly. Rizzo did not respond immediately.”

Harrell was designated for assignment, outrighted, and traded for a pittance nine months later, so the Astros might have overplayed their hand.

I don't see the Rockies as a good trading partner as I don't see the Brewers adding a 1B to their team though I wish they would consider it. I would prefer Napoli as you can dump Ramirez after this year and have Napoli be the 1B next year and try and find a cheap alternative at 3B next year.

I think the Dbacks, Rangers, Red Sox, and the Twins make the most sense.

That depends on what other teams scouts think about his ability to stay behind the plate. As a catcher he's a nice prospect, as a first baseman hes nothing special.

? Coulter is 1 for his last 21 and still has an OPS north of .900, that's special regardless of position... and he's 20 years old in full season ball. What do people seriously expect?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

That depends on what other teams scouts think about his ability to stay behind the plate. As a catcher he's a nice prospect, as a first baseman hes nothing special.

? Coulter is 1 for his last 21 and still has an OPS north of .900, that's special regardless of position... and he's 20 years old in full season ball. What do people seriously expect?

[sarcasm]1.000 OPS with a .400 average with plus plus plus plus plus plus defense.[/sarcasm]

[sarcasm]1.000 OPS with a .400 average with plus plus plus plus plus plus defense.[/sarcasm]

[sarcasm]Don't forget the ability to play ALL THE POSITIONS[/sarcasm]

That is going to be a near impossible trade to pull off for any team.

Well, if Justin Upton could get traded, Tulo can be traded. But, his pricetag is at max for any smaller markets so you're looking at the rich Ball Clubs who could afford Tulo. The answer? Dodgers. Pederson, Urias with sending a guy like maybe Guerrero over to Colorado.

Gotta remember Tulo is owned 129mil over the next 7 years. I think that trade proposal is hard to pass up if I'm Colorado today. Getting a stat filling OF, a future #1/2 SP and a power hitting 2b.

Archived