Brewer Fanatic

The Number One Flaw With Replay

A lot of these close plays seem to occur at first and as long as we are using tech to augment the umpire's job, I would love to see sensors in firstbase, the players' shoes and first baseman's glove. The ump wears something like Google Glass and if the cleat touches first before the ball hits the pressure sensor in the glove, it shows up on his display. For 99% of the plays, the ump uses his eyes and knowledge of the game and the play goes quickly. On the super close play he can get that nanosecond assist without the time stoppage of replay.

The problem with that is that the "catch" happens when the ball is in the glove, not when the glove closes in the ball. So basically that moment after the ball passes the glove end. Hard to do that with sensors.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

The problem with that is that the "catch" happens when the ball is in the glove, not when the glove closes in the ball. So basically that moment after the ball passes the glove end. Hard to do that with sensors.

Maybe the robot first baseman could have sensors along the outside stitching of the glove that would create a vortex. At the exact moment the ball passes through the vortex, the data can instantly be compared to the robot runner's shoe touching the base- which would also have sensors.

I'm sure all of that would work perfectly. Now if I could only get my toaster to work properly.....

There should be no phone call to see if you want to challenge it. The umps have to make a split second call and so should the managers. If the manager comes out about a call it's an automatic challenge and if he's wrong he has no more challenges. Which just may (because of lost challenges) bring back manager/umpire arguments, which I quite frankly miss.

Archived