Brewer Fanatic

Padres?

With Omar Minaya now acting GM and a stated desire for being 'continually competitive' does San Diego become interesting as a possible destination for Estrada? In general he'd be a lot more valuable in a park where a lot more of those HRs would die, and if they are pursuing a strategy (it is not important whether they should) where they are trying to retool for next year, Estrada's low cost would be helpful. Maybe as an important piece to get Smith? Other thoughts on what might be worth grabbing from the Padres.

I would try to deal Estrada to the Padres for Alonso, Grandal, Headley, Maybin, Smith etc...I think that the larger point is that reflects on how far Estrada has fallen in my eyes and what his value has become. Alonso and Grandal could fill a need at 1B long term and Maybin or Smith could fill the fourth OF role perfectly. Alonso, Grandal and Maybin all represent ideal buy low candidates for the Brewers in 2014 and I would be very excited if the main Brewer piece heading to SD in any deal to get one of those 3 was Estrada. Do I think it's enough to get one of them? Probably not.

Padres pending free agents (2014 salary) per Cot's

Chase Headley 3B ($10,525,000)

Huston Street RHP ($7,000,000 with $7M club option for 2015)

Seth Smith OF ($4,500,000)

Nick Hundley C ($4,000,000 with option for 2015)

Chris Denorfia OF ($2,250,000)

Tim Stauffer RHP ($1,600,000)

Xavier Nady 1b/OF ($775,000)

From the Padres website: "Team President and CEO Mike Dee said the search for a new GM "begins immediately." And while Hinch and Minaya will certainly merit consideration, there seems to be a sentiment that the hire will come from the outside -- and, quite possibly, could occur soon."

I doubt the interim GMs will be allowed to do too much, as the team will want the new GM to be able to make his own moves. Therefore, I would take anything Minaya says about their future plans with a grain of salt.

That said, I don't see a really good fit. Headley is expensive and isn't hitting. He may be an option if Ramirez were to go down and we were desperate, but not if Ramirez is healthy. Seth Smith is hitting well... so well that he's not going somewhere to be a backup corner OF. He is 32 and he has never played a game at first base in either the majors or the minors. Since Braun has never played 1b, and last year Davis said he couldn't play there, I don't see the Brewers picking him up to fill the hole at 1B. We've already got two catchers who are better than Hundley, and Reynolds is a better option for a RH hitting 1B than Nady.

My best fit would be Denorfia, as the Brewers haven't had a lot of luck with backup OFs this year. While Denorfia has a .649 OPS this season, he is a career .740 OPS guy. If he could be had cheaply, he could be a minor mid-season pickup.

I guess it's possible they clean house and trade guys like Alonso or Maybin who are signed for a few more years, but I think it's more likely they just look to rid themselves of some salary that's leaving via free agency after the season. I doubt they're looking at trading for a guy like Estrada, but if they are looking at trading guys like Alonso and Maybin, then Estrada would certainly not have any value to them.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Bullpen help makes the most sense in matching up with the Padres. We lack a 2nd late inning RH reliever and they have 2 who should be moved. I would love to add Seth Smith but I wouldn't give up a whole lot for him with the way Khris Davis has hit of late.
@WiscoSportsNut

Bullpen help makes the most sense in matching up with the Padres. We lack a 2nd late inning RH reliever and they have 2 who should be moved. I would love to add Seth Smith but I wouldn't give up a whole lot for him with the way Khris Davis has hit of late.

I like our pen. Thornburg, Henderson should be back, and just watch out for Jeffress who's really pitching well. 97 with control can really help. Looks like he's turned it around.

But, if it didn't cost much, another guy with closing experience would be nice. Say what you want, but being a great pitcher doesn't mean you can be a great closer always. And how great has it been to be able to have Smith pitch the 7th if the 3-4-5 hitters are coming up and one or two are lefties?

Can't wait to see if they try and give him a shot in the rotation next year.

We FINALLY have some really good power arms.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Padres pending free agents (2014 salary) per Cot's

Chase Headley 3B ($10,525,000)

Huston Street RHP ($7,000,000 with $7M club option for 2015)

Seth Smith OF ($4,500,000)

Nick Hundley C ($4,000,000 with option for 2015)

Chris Denorfia OF ($2,250,000)

Tim Stauffer RHP ($1,600,000)

Xavier Nady 1b/OF ($775,000)

From the Padres website: "Team President and CEO Mike Dee said the search for a new GM "begins immediately." And while Hinch and Minaya will certainly merit consideration, there seems to be a sentiment that the hire will come from the outside -- and, quite possibly, could occur soon."

I doubt the interim GMs will be allowed to do too much, as the team will want the new GM to be able to make his own moves. Therefore, I would take anything Minaya says about their future plans with a grain of salt.

That said, I don't see a really good fit. Headley is expensive and isn't hitting. He may be an option if Ramirez were to go down and we were desperate, but not if Ramirez is healthy. Seth Smith is hitting well... so well that he's not going somewhere to be a backup corner OF. He is 32 and he has never played a game at first base in either the majors or the minors. Since Braun has never played 1b, and last year Davis said he couldn't play there, I don't see the Brewers picking him up to fill the hole at 1B. We've already got two catchers who are better than Hundley, and Reynolds is a better option for a RH hitting 1B than Nady.

My best fit would be Denorfia, as the Brewers haven't had a lot of luck with backup OFs this year. While Denorfia has a .649 OPS this season, he is a career .740 OPS guy. If he could be had cheaply, he could be a minor mid-season pickup.

I guess it's possible they clean house and trade guys like Alonso or Maybin who are signed for a few more years, but I think it's more likely they just look to rid themselves of some salary that's leaving via free agency after the season. I doubt they're looking at trading for a guy like Estrada, but if they are looking at trading guys like Alonso and Maybin, then Estrada would certainly not have any value to them.

Hundley already was traded a while ago to the Orioles. In fact he played against the Brewers for the O's. I have mentioned Will Venable (2016 FA) as a good fit and Venable is also definitely on the block. Like Denorfia, he's having an off year but his career OPS is .735, and in Miller Park it's 1.014. Denorfia loves Miller Park too with a .934 OPS there. Not much to separate those two, but Venable is LH and none of the Brewer starting trio is.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Joaquin Benoit would be an interesting (but expensive) addition.

He's been awesome the last couple of years, including a 1.42 ERA this year (in 31 innings).

However, he is expensive ($6 million in 2014 and $8 million in 2015, plus an option for 2016), and he'll be 37 next month. I generally worry about guys that old.

But he'd be a great, power arm to go with K-Rod, Duke and Smith in the back end of the bullpen.

Seth Smith was just extended, so he's not getting traded.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think the Brewers have to roll the dice and try to get Street or Benoit. Expensive?? Heck yeah, but there's a ton at stake and they don't have a ton invested in their pen right now. Maybe move Weeks and his salary if you have to. Oakland is looking for more offense at 2B.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think the Brewers have to roll the dice and try to get Street or Benoit. Expensive?? Heck yeah, but there's a ton at stake and they don't have a ton invested in their pen right now. Maybe move Weeks and his salary if you have to. Oakland is looking for more offense at 2B.

I'd look at Benoit, although I worry about his age and the fact he's doing great in SD, which always is a worry with a pitcher. Still, his numbers have been great.

He makes $8 million next year - which is a lot. I'm not sure it's worth it. But we could easily lose two of our best relievers to free agency (K-Rod and Duke), and a quality arm like Benoit would help ease those loses. He could even be your closer.

And, if you look at it, we have the money.

Assuming we pick up Gallardo's and A-Ram's options, our salary is at $74.6 million for next season.

We'll assume that Weeks option is declined.

Unless he rebounds in a big way, I doubt Estrada is offered arby (he's in line to make upwards of $4 million). Replace him with Nelson.

Maldonado, Kintzler and Alfred Figaro are arby eligible for the first time. None should break the bank.

K-Rod, Reynolds, Overbay, Duke and Gorzelanny are free agents.

Even if you add in a couple of million for the arby guys, plus $8 million for Benoit, that only takes you to around $85 million. That leaves $15 million (if you have a similar payroll as 2014) to add a 1B, another reliever (if that's deemed necessary), and maybe some depth IF/OF depth.

If Benoit doesn't work out, you're not stuck with a long term deal on a reliever, which is what it will likely take to keep Duke and/or K-Rod after 2014.

I guess it all comes down to how much will it cost, and is the team willing to add the salary.

I wouldn't discount the Padres taking Estrada in a trade if that was an option. They took Ian Kennedy last year, and are now likely to flip him this year. Estrada is someone who is similar to Kennedy, and could benefit from pitching in San Diego.

I think that is a very good point. Estrada's ERA would go way down pitching in Petco. You would think an MLB GM wouldn't be fooled by that, but it sure seems like some of them are

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived