Brewer Fanatic

Bad news for the Cardinals: Wacha & Garcia to the DL

brwrsfan,

Was referring to September.

Well that's good because there is a chance that the Cards could have a lead over the Brewers by the time the week is up.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last but not least let's not forget 24 year old Trevor Rosenthal and 25 year old Seth Maness who are anchoring the bullpen.

They have plenty of youth performing very well.

Brother, you know more about the Cards pitching than I do! But you failed to mention 4 relievers that are better than Rosenthal.

Kevin Siegrist has a better K to walk ratio and a lower ERA than Rosie in twice as many innings, and rookie Sam Freeman sports a 1.50 ERA in 19 appearances, striking out 17 and yet to give up an XBH.

Pat Neshak's ERA is a rediculous 0.75 in 41 games, a WHIP almost twice as low as even Wainwright, and get this: a 9-1 K to walk ratio! (36 and 4) So why are these guys unknown? Because they don't close. They just keep the game in check, holding the slim leads until Trevor comes in in the 9th and gets all the gravy.

But I mentioned 4 relievers better than Rosie....no, It's not 100 MPH Jason Motte, back from Tommy John's but 2Bman Daniel Descalso who sports a 0.00 ERA in 1/3 inning of work that was required in one game where Matheny burned out the entire pen by the 10th!

Can you imagine what a smart manager could do with a bullpen like this?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkMJsLq4K9l-OlHxm4Go2SUAJQ3LVWKU1w5e5FywIufxeJlhC1qQ

This man is not a shortstop. It's rookie pitcher Sam Freeman, a complete ballplayer. I don't know how Matheny can keep this young man in the pen with all the starter injuries, but he does.

There was some mention on MLBTV about coaching metrics. Now I personally haven't paid very close attention to them, but basically what they said was that 95 percent of the time, the difference between the best manager and worst manager in the game is 2 games added or lost at most, and that they all do pretty much the same thing.

It's really easy to pick apart your own manager because...well, nobody is patting Roenicke on the back when Lyle Overbay hits a grand slam, but when he comes up empty in big spots, he's an idiot for playing him.

I think RR is a good manager, but he's been around for a while and learned with some of the best in the game....and he STILL started Kotsay in a game. Matheny is in his second year, went to the WS and made all the right moves last year. So from where I sit, I think he looks pretty good. But again, teams seldom appreciate their manager. Even if they just won a WS. Then it's, anyone could have won with that lineup.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived