Brewer Fanatic

Why the Cards hate the Brewers...

DHonks
Can we please have a GhostOfQuantrill amnesty day? IIRC, it was about two years ago that this poster named after a dead confederate general ranted about how the Cardinals were so great at getting hard-working, gritty folks of a certain skin tone, while the Brewers had so many problem players.

Yeah I want that guy to come back.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?p=776153#p776153

That's a summation of the "best of" I think.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Can we please have a GhostOfQuantrill amnesty day? IIRC, it was about two years ago that this poster named after a dead confederate general ranted about how the Cardinals were so great at getting hard-working, gritty folks of a certain skin tone, while the Brewers had so many problem players.

Wow, I completely missed all of that.

St. Louis is sorta South/sorta Midwest and unfortunately there's plenty of guys that represent the worst of both cultures. When I sit in the upper deck at Busch, this is the kind of stuff I hear/deal with most of time.

Also, in case anyone doesn't know the story of Quantrill. He was a confederate solider who led the raiding and burning of Lawrence, Kansas. This is a t-shirt that was popular a few years ago when Mizzou and KU still played in the Big 12.

http://patrickgarvin.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/mizzoushirt07.jpg

Classy.

VERY interesting thread. Some astute insights. Particularly on the race issue. It's been bothering me ever since La Russa took over the team. That piece of work changed the look of the franchise beginning in 1998.

Eckersly, Isringhausen, Mc Gwire, Edmonds, Rolen, Larry Walker, Matt Holliday. Most big money free agents, some block buster trades. You see the commonality?

The Cards of today bear no resemblance to the great teams of the 60's and 80's. There were no Black American names on the roster this year on opening day. (Jon Jay, born in Miami who is clearly of mixed race says "I'm Cuban")

If you take a look at the crowds you see all white faces. Some 40,000 every day and 50,000 on weekends. All upper middle class folks paying big bucks for a seat and a beer.

I could go on ad nauseum on racism and the Cards, but I'll spare you. I'll just say that it's alive and well in the front office.

Bill De Witt Jr.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ee/Billdewitt3.jpg/440px-Billdewitt3.jpg

The face of the Cardinals used to include Lou Brock, Bob Gibson, Willie McGee. Now they are one of 3 clubs w zero African-American players and I can't remember the last prominent one. Edwin Jackson doesn't count. Let's add the Carpenter-Morgan feud to the list.

On one of my few trips to Miller Park I had the pleasure of sitting in front of some WOW county lady who booed Nyger and otherwise made her feelings known on a wide variety of political issues. So nobody is casting stones. But at least in Milw I get the feeling that the organization is not part of the problem.

VERY interesting thread. Some astute insights. Particularly on the race issue. It's been bothering me ever since La Russa took over the team. That piece of work changed the look of the franchise beginning in 1998.

Eckersly, Isringhausen, Mc Gwire, Edmonds, Rolen, Larry Walker, Matt Holliday. Most big money free agents, some block buster trades. You see the commonality?

The Cards of today bear no resemblance to the great teams of the 60's and 80's. There were no Black American names on the roster this year on opening day. (Jon Jay, born in Miami who is clearly of mixed race says "I'm Cuban")

If you take a look at the crowds you see all white faces. Some 40,000 every day and 50,000 on weekends. All upper middle class folks paying big bucks for a seat and a beer.

I could go on ad nauseum on racism and the Cards, but I'll spare you. I'll just say that it's alive and well in the front office.

Bill De Witt Jr.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ee/Billdewitt3.jpg/440px-Billdewitt3.jpg

Would explain why Jose Oquendo was passed over for Matheny despite having years of experience as a coach and having spent more time with the Cards than Matheny.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Rogers Hornsby was in the KKK

(supposedly)

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Budweiser tastes like pee; that alone should drive those folks mad.

Let's be honest. Miller, Coors (OH GOD ESPECIALLY COORS WHAT THE HELL IS BANQUET BEER EVEN MEAN?), Bud - it's all swill that people with functioning taste buds should avoid at all costs.

Why do you think they serve it ice cold? Deadens the taste buds.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Also, Nyjer Morgan threw his wad of chew at Cris Carpenter in 2011. Carpenter's only begotten son had to witness the entire incident.

These literally never get old....especially given the hypocrisy of Carpenter.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I could be not remembering this clearly enough, but wasn't La Russa accused by one of his players (I think it was either Ron Gant or Ray Lankford) of being partial to white players?

It's been a while, but I think it WAS Gant.

The trade that urked me the most was Polanco for Rolen. It made no sense. Polanco was a plus .300 hitting utility man with a good glove. Rolen was an injury prone 'roider and a clubhouse grumbler that played a great 3B. The Phils wanted him gone. There was no reason to make that deal at all. And it turned out in the coming years that Polanco had the FAR better career.

It was a gradual process but La Russa got the black players weeded out after 4 or 5 years and even eliminated Ozzie Smith from Cardinal functions fearing that Oz wanted his job. (he was a candidate too)

Smith, loved in St. Louis must have been surprised when there was only a tiny outcry of support in his behalf by the fans. They really drank the putrid TLR cool-aid.

http://phillysportslive.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/080711-placido-polanco-400.jpg

Bill De Witt Jr.

[sarcasm]Is it wrong of me to wish the Brewers were a little more racist if that is how the Cards have built their roster for the past 20 years?[/sarcasm]

Sorry....kidding obviously.

Did you have to post that link DocLuna? Are you a masochist? I had forgotten that TLR also shipped talented Jordan and Pendelton to the Braves for....I have NO idea. I think Terry won the MVP the very next year and Atlanta's dominance began.

And to think LaRussa is in the Cardinal HOF. Who's next....Mc Gwire?

Did you have to post that link DocLuna? Are you a masochist? I had forgotten that TLR also shipped talented Jordan and Pendelton to the Braves for....I have NO idea. I think Terry won the MVP the very next year and Atlanta's dominance began.

Both guys were free agents actually, but I'm down for some good ole Tony bashing.

http://dailyirabu.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/larussa-drunk.jpg

Both guys were free agents actually, but I'm down for some good ole Tony bashing.

http://dailyirabu.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/larussa-drunk.jpg

That's right. But why did they want to leave St. Louis and join a team that has not done anything since 1958? Ted Turners money? Please don't get me started on La Russa. He's to easy to ostracize. He's the most flawed man in a position of power since Hitler.

That's right. But why did they want to leave St. Louis and join a team that has not done anything since 1958? Ted Turners money? Please don't get me started on La Russa. He's to easy to ostracize. He's the most flawed man in a position of power since Hitler.

Now I'm not a big fan of TLR to say the least, but I think the train has officially run off the tracks here.

Please don't get me started on La Russa. He's to easy to ostracize. He's the most flawed man in a position of power since Hitler.

Jeebus, I love this guy.

http://media.punchingkitty.com/wordpress/2010/10/zombie_larussa.jpg

Archived