Brewer Fanatic

Why the Cards hate the Brewers...

DHonks

-shirts untucked

-home run celebrations

-home run staredowns (note that due to creating this rule, the Cards are exempt and can stare as they wish)

-lights played with to make hitting conditions unfavorable

-Brewers are mean

-Brewers won't get into old-fashioned beanball wars without Ned

-Brewers praise Cardinals players and history while promoting their own players

-Miller-Coors are better than Bud

Because the Brewers had the audacity to actually win the division in 2011. Cards may have won the championship but they didn't control the division. Actually it goes back to 2007 and 2008. Brewers finished ahead of defending champ Cards in 2007 causing shock to smug Cardinal nation, then won 10 of 15 from them in 2008 when they also finished well ahead of the Redbirds.

Then there's the deep seeded inferiority complex of the St. Louis fan over their rather woeful pro football history. Yeah they won one with Kurt Warner, but this is a town that lost it's first NFL franchise, and since that brief surge in the late 90's and early 2000's has gone right back to irrelevance. When the football Cardinals left for Arizona, fans down there masked their angst by declaring themselves the greatest baseball fans on the planet. Ever since they've been insufferable.

It really is amazing the difference in the attitudes of the Brewers and Cardinals. In one corner, you have Hank the Dog, WCWW, political attack ad spoofs, themed road trip flights, and nerds. In the other corner, you have the Cardinals.

And that's just this year.

The Cardinals are just old fashioned and live and die by the Vince Lombardi "Act like you've been there before" quote. They are the anti fun team of baseball and get angry if you even dare to celebrate a win or a home run.

The Cardinals and Roger Goodell would be good best friends. (sorry for getting football in this).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The reaction to the Luc video says it all - I don't think they realize it's a game that's supposed to be fun. LaRussa sucked all the joy out of the franchise and Matheny is making sure it doesn't return.

That team literally has no sense of humor. None.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The Cardinals are just old fashioned and live and die by the Vince Lombardi "Act like you've been there before" quote. They are the anti fun team of baseball and get angry if you even dare to celebrate a win or a home run.

The Cardinals and Roger Goodell would be good best friends. (sorry for getting football in this).

Emphasis on "you" -- if they opt to do it, dadgummit, they've earned the right through decades of classiness!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Emphasis on "you" -- if they opt to do it, dadgummit, they've earned the right through decades of classiness!

Yeah...Pujols stared down every ball he ever hit that even made the warning track...yet that was ok. Apparently if you're good and a Cardinal, it's ok to do whatever you want and have some fun. But not anyone else, ever.

my thought when i watched lucroy's video was "we'll never hear the end of this" ... and lucroy knew that. Every one in the league knows they're tools. Their fans hate every team that dare try to win games.
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

In fairness, I looked at their fan board yesterday after the Luc video. One guy complained about it, but three others rejected that view and said they thought it was funny and complimentary (which I think it is). There really are a lot of decent and smart fans here.

St. Louis resembles Milwaukee more than any other city I know. People here take incredible pride in their team. I think they like being a smaller-city team that consistently outplays the big-market teams. The Brewers, in a way, suit Cardinal fans' image of their own team even better than the Cardinals do. I think that causes some cognitive dissonance. Also, they can just be arrogant, because they've won a lot. The unwritten rules garbage is just a particularly annoying product of that arrogance. (The unwritten rules fixation also tends to be a white thing, and the Cardinals are pretty white. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with white people; I myself come from a long line of Caucasians.)

That is the part that always bothered me the most. The hypocrisy.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I think the veiled racism issue actually does play a big role in this...seems like alot of the vocal Cardinal fans' unreasonable disdain for the Brewers started with the jersey untucking after wins, when the team had Cameron, Weeks, Fielder, and Sabathia as prominent players on the team that were beating the Cards like a drum. Always thought the crap the Brewers got for untucking jerseys after a win was a clever way for closet racists to lash out...Dudes take their shirts off after soccer matches, NBA players do the same after games often, NFL players often have their shirts untucked or even pads off when the final whistle sounds as they go to shake hands.

The Cards player grew to hate the Brewers because they were better than them for a few years and LaRussa is an instigator.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
In fairness, I looked at their fan board yesterday after the Luc video. One guy complained about it, but three others rejected that view and said they thought it was funny and complimentary (which I think it is). There really are a lot of decent and smart fans here.

St. Louis resembles Milwaukee more than any other city I know. People here take incredible pride in their team. I think they like being a smaller-city team that consistently outplays the big-market teams. The Brewers, in a way, suit Cardinal fans' image of their own team even better than the Cardinals do. I think that causes some cognitive dissonance. Also, they can just be arrogant, because they've won a lot. The unwritten rules garbage is just a particularly annoying product of that arrogance.

I don't think the Cardinal fans have ever given anyone reason to complain. It's the manager(s) and team.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Budweiser tastes like pee; that alone should drive those folks mad.

Let's be honest. Miller, Coors (OH GOD ESPECIALLY COORS WHAT THE HELL IS BANQUET BEER EVEN MEAN?), Bud - it's all swill that people with functioning taste buds should avoid at all costs.

St. Louis resembles Milwaukee more than any other city I know. People here take incredible pride in their team. I think they like being a smaller-city team that consistently outplays the big-market teams. The Brewers, in a way, suit Cardinal fans' image of their own team even better than the Cardinals do. I think that causes some cognitive dissonance. Also, they can just be arrogant, because they've won a lot. The unwritten rules garbage is just a particularly annoying product of that arrogance. (The unwritten rules fixation also tends to be a white thing, and the Cardinals are pretty white. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with white people; I myself come from a long line of Caucasians.)

Yeah St. Louis is pretty similar to other rust belt cities like Detroit, Buffalo, Indy, etc. Like you said, they enjoy being that small-town team that plays with bravado and isn't afraid of the big dogs. I think they secretly like the Brewers bravado and fun antics. They probably wish their team wasn't so boring and snobby. They do have some cool fans though. The Cardinals guy that is always on here is cool.

Can we please have a GhostOfQuantrill amnesty day? IIRC, it was about two years ago that this poster named after a dead confederate general ranted about how the Cardinals were so great at getting hard-working, gritty folks of a certain skin tone, while the Brewers had so many problem players.

Yeah I want that guy to come back.

Archived