Brewer Fanatic

Didi Gregorius

What about looking into whether Didi is available to fill the backup 2B/SS/3B role? With the Diamondbacks in the tank, you have to figure a number of there players are going to be up for sale. Are they sticking with Owings at SS and Hill at 2B? Anyone know the Diamondbacks plans for their MI going forward and is Gregorious a part of that equation?

Obviously this isn't going to happen, but would you if you were the Diamondbacks, trade Goldy for any six non-Nelson minor leaguers (or Wang)? Using the BF top 20, for example, that would be Taylor, Coulter, Arcia, Williams, Haniger, Wang/Jungmann. I would tack on cash, but we aren't shipping any salaries so I don't think MLB lets you, maybe they have a bad contract they would want to ship us.

From some of the posts on Dbacks forums ive seen it sounds like they are going to be shopping Hill too

Nobody's a buyer on Hill because of his contract. Brewers will kick the tires on middle infield types that can backup at SS and platoon some at 2B next year but not in Hill's price range. Gregorius does fit that profile better but Arizona won't just give him away either and even though he's better vs. LHP, his bat might not be potent enough for the Brewers to decide they have to keep the training wheels on Scooter vs. LHP.

Obviously this isn't going to happen, but would you if you were the Diamondbacks, trade Goldy for any six non-Nelson minor leaguers (or Wang)? Using the BF top 20, for example, that would be Taylor, Coulter, Arcia, Williams, Haniger, Wang/Jungmann. I would tack on cash, but we aren't shipping any salaries so I don't think MLB lets you, maybe they have a bad contract they would want to ship us.

If I were the D-Backs GM and was looking to trade Goldschmidt, I would look to a team with several guys of Nelson's caliber or better and ask for all of them. If the Brewers want to pick up a really good player in trade, there is no way they're going to do it without adding Nelson. Even with Nelson, assuming they're not going to trade key guys from the MLB roster, it's unlikely they would be able to pick up an MVP-caliber player like Goldschmidt.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If I were the D-Backs GM and was looking to trade Goldschmidt, I would look to a team with several guys of Nelson's caliber or better and ask for all of them. If the Brewers want to pick up a really good player in trade, there is no way they're going to do it without adding Nelson. Even with Nelson, assuming they're not going to trade key guys from the MLB roster, it's unlikely they would be able to pick up an MVP-caliber player like Goldschmidt.

Goldschmidt isn't going anywhere. He's the face of their franchise and under team control at a reasonable cost through 2019. The only reason to trade a guy like Goldschmidt would be if the franchise was devoid of talent and even if healthy, non-competitive. The D-backs aren't in a dire fire sale situation. They are a lot like the 2013 Brewers. They have plenty of talent on their roster much if which is in or just entering their prime and they are quite strong up the middle. This year they were done in by injuries in particular to Corbin and now Arroyo and a very sluggish start. I suspect they'll use the rest of this year to evaluate what they have in their system pitching-wise.

There's a fine line for teams like the D-backs and Brewers. Bad years will happen but trading Goldschmidt would be tossing out the baby with the bath water.

Archived