Brewer Fanatic

Diamondbacks win Tough Guy Points

I was totally enamored with Kirk Gibson and the arm pump home run. He was, to me, the epitome of the old school player and I was jumping and cheering in my living room when it happened. Now it appears he is nothing more than a bully who is obviously compensating for some shortcoming in his life. There is nothing "old school" about his team's attitude, more like a spoiled rotten kid that isn't getting his way.

Matheny should take note and distance himself from such childish behavior...not that it will ever happen.

I see no reason that Matheny, and to a much greater degree Gibson, shouldn't be suspended each time one of there pitchers hits a batter at this point. MLB should have left in home plate collisions and done away with this garbage.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope Delgado suffers a career-ending injury. McCutchen doesn't even belong to the same species as Gibson and his obedient thugs. This unbelievable dirtbag has the gall to criticize Ryan Braun? I really wish we played these jerks again.

The D-backs manager and organization has sunk to a new level. What a joke. This kind of stuff has got to stop. Fine, if you'd like to throw inside to McCutchen all game and play by the pathetic "unwritten" rules that some say exist, but to drill one of the biggest stars in the game between the shoulder blades in a meaningless ninth inning AB is classless & shameful.

I give credit to McCutchen, as he showed the most amazing amount of restraint I think I've seen a player show after not only an obvious beaning but an obvious attempt to injure him.

If MLB would like to keep their stars in the game they need to step in and leverage some larger penalties when obvious attempts to harm another player are made.

so Goldschmidt out 8 weeks froma broken hand after getting hit by Frieri on Friday night in the 9th inning. Freiri has been awful, so I cant imagine hitting Goldschmidt was on purpose.. so hitting McCutchen in the 9th inning on Saturday was clearly retaliation for Goldy getting hit.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Should be noted that Gibson didn't order the bean as he was ejected earlier for arguing the decision of a replay review but this is still a classless move by the D-Backs.

D-Backs GM Kevin Towers fired his pitching coach because pitcher's weren't hitting enough people.

He's in the clubhouse. It's not like he couldn't have ordered this.

Should be noted that Gibson didn't order the bean as he was ejected earlier for arguing the decision of a replay review but this is still a classless move by the D-Backs.

D-Backs GM Kevin Towers fired his pitching coach because pitcher's weren't hitting enough people.

He's in the clubhouse. It's not like he couldn't have ordered this.

"Did you order the Code Red?"

"YOU'RE GODDAMM RIGHT I DID"!

It's official. Gibson is now Col. Jessup

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
McCutchen will probably go on the 15-day DL today with an apparent oblique injury. People are trying to connect the dots between the injury and the beaning (in the comments):

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pirates/2014/08/04/Pirates-McCutchen-expected-to-be-place-on-15-day-disabled-list/stories/201408040153#ixzz39SS8Z3vJ

Wow. That hurts the Pirates big time.

Let's hope our guys can heal up and stay healthy. The team that avoids major injuries may well be the one that wins it in the NL Central.

If McCutchen does go on the DL, maybe Bud will finally do something.

he wont

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I sincerely hope nothing is done as the result of McCutchen going on the DL. I'm not a doctor, but I'd have a hard time believing that his oblique injury has anything to do with getting hit in the back. In fact, I saw a replay of when his oblique DID get hurt - after a swing the other night, he winced in pain and was slow to get out of the box.

I really hope that entire front office gets canned this offseason. The fact that his team is a running joke now hopefully is not lost on the owner. How anyone likes LaRussa is beyond me. His coaching success was largely due to Canseco and McGwire and the awesome abilities of Dave Duncan. He was a major jerk both while managing and off of the field.

The way Gibson has managed this team has all but assured no team is going to give him a 2nd chance. Its been a trainwreck and he has been more worried about being a tough guy than winning games.

Based on what ive heard from my friends who are Dbacks fans, they seem to be behind this "gritty" culture here in AZ. Apparently winning isnt really important. This article came out today as well, and MLB Network read a statement LaRussa sent out basically approving of this as well. http://www.azfamily.com/home/Diamonbacks-Designated-Dirtiest-Baseball-Team--270101351.html
Formerly AirShuttle6104

TLR makes a fair point in my opinion. The Pirates pitch inside more than any other team in baseball and they hit more batters than any other team in baseball. The Pirates may not have hit Goldschmidt on purpose, but they play a style of ball that leads to a large number of guys getting hurt and players who face them having a greater risk of injury. I'm not a fan of the retaliatory plunking, but I think people are downplaying the Pirates role in this because Gibson and Towers are so easy to hate on.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=0&type=c,4,5,11,7,8,13,-1,36,37,40,43,44,48,51,-1,6,45,62,-1,59,21&season=2014&month=0&season1=2014&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=19,d

Pirates have 20% more hit batsmen this year than the next closest team, and almost twice as many as the DBacks.

advocates for the devil

The Pirates may indeed pitch inside and lead In hit batsmen...my issue is the way Arizona is retaliating. They threw inside 2 times prior to hitti ng McCutchen and threw inside and missed the first time on Braun too. My thinking is you take your shot, you miss, you move on. You dont keep throwing til you hit the batter. That just seems like poor form to me
Formerly AirShuttle6104

Archived