Brewer Fanatic

Tony Gwynn passes away at 54

Man I was super bummed when I heard this. He was a player from my youth that I always enjoyed. Everyone always said how great of a person he was. Always smiling, always loving the game. Sorry to see him go so young.

"hit over .300 in each of his last 19 seasons"

"career .338 hitter"

"8 batting titles"

I'm not sure any of those will ever be touched again.

I love how we gloss over the fact that he DIDNT hit .300 in his first season and just willy-nilly elected him to the hall of fame

I didnt even know he was sick. Gosh darn it. Reminds me of my youth in the 80s, there was always this one player who played for that funny team out west who was always really good but you never actually saw him play. That guy was incredible. a really sad day for baseball.

Sad day for baseball and a very sad day for San Diego. I can't remember anything negative written about him.

On the flip side, I can't think of anything positive about tobacco. Time to get it out of baseball, now.

Yeah, saddest part is he did it to himself.

RIP Tony. This is really, really sad news. I remember getting his autograph back in the day. I honestly had thought that surgery had corrected the damage done by his tobacco use. It's a tragedy that he is gone at such a relatively young age.

I was very sad to hear this, as he was always one of my favorite non Brewers. I went to a Brewers/Padres game at County Stadium after the league switch just so I could say that I saw him play in person.

One interesting thing that I heard today is that he only struck out three times in a game once in his career. The opposing pitcher that day? Bob Welch, who also passed away a week or so ago.

RIP. One of the All Time Greats.

I have to comment on the Cancer that Tony Gwynn had. Tony Gwynn had parotid cancer, which is a cancer of the saliva gland. I had a tumor in my parotid gland removed 2 years ago, so I know a bit about the anatomy and procedure and specifically Tony's story. The thing about it is that you don't get parotid cancer from tobacco use. I remember reading a article that quoted Tony Gwynn's doctor as saying that his cancer most likely did not come from his tobacco use. But still, Gwynn went around telling everyone that was the cause of his cancer. Maybe it was just easier for him to believe that the tobacco was to blame. Its hard to think that sometimes people just get cancer. It's certainly easier for the media to just say yup another case of tobacco killing someone.

Risk Factors

Previously receiving radiation therapy increases the risk of developing salivary gland cancers. People who are exposed to mustard gas, isopropyl oils, volatile hydrocarbons, or metals like nickel and chromium (which occurs most commonly in the leather tanning, nickel mining and carpentry industries) also have an increased risk of developing salivary gland cancer. Unlike most head and neck cancers, tobacco use is not believed to be a major contributor to the development of salivary gland cancer.

"Two three the count with nobody on, he hit a high fly into the stands. Rounding third he was heading for home, it was a brown eyed handsome man. That won the game, he was a brown eyed handsome man."

RIP Tony. This is really, really sad news. I remember getting his autograph back in the day. I honestly had thought that surgery had corrected the damage done by his tobacco use. It's a tragedy that he is gone at such a relatively young age.

I remember writing letters and mailing them to players with baseball cards and a SASE asking the cards to be signed. Tony Gwynn was one of the few star players I sent one to... and he signed it and returned it. Class act.

I would like for MLB to declare June 16th Tony Gwynn Remembrance day, and ban all tobacco products on that day.

Makes it tough to watch tonight's game and still see the wads in players lips, whether it's directly responsible for his death or not. It has no place in today's game with the amount of televised games and amount of camera close ups. Feel free to kill yourself on your own time, not so much in front of kids.

Sad that tobacco takes over part of the story. RIP Tony, one of the best hitters to ever play the game.

Man, I loved watching Gwynn hit. And as great as he was on the field, he was a better man off of it.

Watch the Ted Williams documentary that HBO did. Tony Gwynn talks about the 1999 All Star Game at Fenway. Gwynn remembers when Williams leaned into Mark McGwire and asked if he ever smelled burnt wood when he fouled the ball off. Gwynn is just laughing like a kid. I loved it. The guy was so full of life.

Cancer just sucks. I'm still sad today.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Profoundly sad about this. He died much too young.

I loved to hear him talk about hitting. The stuff with him and Ted Williams was a fantastic mix of old and young. And he coached and mentored Strasburg, so that generational connection continues. I also liked that a guy with a fat body could have athletic success.

Since the news came out about his death, there have been so many heartfelt condolences. The way he lived his life touched a lot of people.

He seemed like a really great guy.

Archived