Brewer Fanatic

Trade Partner - Anaheim Angels

(Their stadium is in Anaheim, not Los Angeles, and Anaheim is nowhere near Los Angeles. So I'm calling them Anaheim.)

The Angels currently do not have any LHP in their bullpen. The Brewers have four. My guess is that some team out there - quite possibly the Angels - wants to see Gorzelanny pitch in the majors once or twice before trading for him. It would take a lot to pry Smith from the Brewers, and Wang doesn't really have value to the Angels, so my guess is Duke or Gorzelanny would be most likely to go.

Not sure what the Angels would send back. Doubt the Brewers could get Cron for either of them, and the Angels farm system might be more barren than the Brewers. Maybe there's a three-way trade in the works to get a LH 1B/3B (Angels are no strangers to 3-way trades), maybe the Brewers throw in a prospect to get Cron or Hunter Green, but the Angels would love to get their hands on one of the Brewers LH bullpen arms.

To say the Brewers have 4 lefties isn't really accurate. Wang being a lefty has no effect on how or when he's used. I think the plan all along was that when Gorzelanny was back they'd go with 8 arms in the pen, 4 RH, 3 LH and Wang for strictly moping up. This is a team playing with a 24 man roster. They think Wang is worth it. I don't.

Smith isn't a LOOGY so there really only are two. Neither of those guys is going to bring back much. I'd just hold on to them.

I don't disagree that the return won't be eye opening ... but what kind of prospect do we need to be offered to listen? At what point is having 2 LOOGY pitchers out of the pen a tradeable strength when you do have Smith as well?

I don't know if trading them 1 for 1 is a good idea as the return is a fringe prospect at best and their contribution to a playoff run is more valuable than a non contribution in a few years from a AA prospect, but I would attach either of them (ZD, TG) to Weeks. Estrada, Garza, etc and see what conversation could take place.

Their bullpen is in total shambles. I would bet sending them duke and Henderson (what's the status on his arm?) Would get a decent return. They'd get a lefty and some closer experience. Would just depend on Henderson's health though.

Gorzelanny is more than a LOOGY. Last year his OPS-A vs. RHB was .741 (includes both as a starter and reliever), not terrible by any stretch, and as a reliever he had 33 appearances and pitched 36 innings. So is Duke - he has faced more RHB this year (62 PAs) than LHB (42), and (small sample alert) has a lower OPS-A vs. RHB (.479) than LHB (.612). Both have started in the past so they are adequate vs. RHB.

Archived