Brewer Fanatic

Manny Machado Only Suspended 5 Games

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11061831/manny-machado-baltimore-orioles-suspended-5-games

Not happy about this. Way too easy on him given his repeated issues. If this guy were on the Brewers, I would want to get rid of him, and would classify him as a headcase. His actions in multiple games with the As are similar in my book to Delmon Young taking a baseball bat to the umpire. Thet the fact that he had an altercation in an earlier game, and then deliberately concussed a player (catcher) (i know he has a long swing, but his blatent disregard for a fellow player's well being would lead me and most people to believe he did it on purpose), and attempted grave injury to another (throwing his bat), shows that this kid needs to be dealt a harsh punishment.

I realize I'll be in the minority here, but I think 20-25 games would have been reasonable. I would have thought the happy medium would be a 10-15 game suspension (after it was reduced in appeal), with a strict warning that a repeat incident would result in 50 games, and two more incidents, a lifetime ban.

Having watched alot of baseball lately with my nephews, this isn't "Manny being Manny". This is a mediocre player who has been hyped beyond belief showing his immaturity. Causing severe (intentional) injury to another player needs to be taken alot more serious than it is by MLB, and no, hitting someone with a pitch isn't comparable to hitting someone in the head with a bat or deliberately throwing your bat in a violent manner at a defenseless player.

I realize he's only 21, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a mediocre career like Delmon Young, that is if he doesn't end up in jail at some point.

I agree. 5 games is a joke. They're treating him like something special, like a future hall of famer that has seniority or something. I think he's an absolute punk, don't like anything about his demeanor, his face, just all of it annoys me. I've been trying to find the amount they fined him, and the A's pitcher, but can't get that info anywhere. I think it's a joke they fined the pitcher, he didn't even hit him did he? Is it illegal to brush a guy back now? And before I end my rant, how is he going to apologize so deeply and say he's going to accept his consequences, then appeal the consequences and publicly ask for a reduction. I know every one always appeals every suspension/fine, but they should increase it on this douche. I'm really looking forward to when the Orioles go to Oakland in July, this guy's gonna get ripped a new one by the Raider/Athletic faithful.

I can't believe how over rated Machado is in the national scene and they go as far to mention him as a future MVP. His 2014 triple slash is .229/.283/.336 and he plays 3B. Sure he plays good defense but no one is riding 3B defense to the playoffs. Move to SS and we can talk. Being young doesn't mean he's going to automatically improve until he's 27 especially now that he's in the majors.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

I'm sure I'm in the miniority in that I DO NOT have a problem with Manny Machado's actions. Try to hit me repeatedly with a 90mph fastball, I'll try and hit you with a fling of my bat at 35mph, 60 feet away. Seems pretty fair. These pitchers think they are immune from retaliation. Maybe a few more bats flung at them will keep them from beaning batters.

If I were the opposing team of a pitcher in the NL who beaned my guy, I'd walk that pitcher his next at-bat and then throw over to first about 6 times, with my first baseman applying a tag to his face about as hard as he could. That pitcher would never purposefully bean another guy again.

I prefer the route of letting your bat and glove do the talking. Not sure what all this tit for tat retaliating accomplishes. If you want to throw at me after I hit a HR, fine...my HR still counts and now you just put me on base (or fell behind in the count).

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

A lot of pedestals in this thread. The number of games is right in line with every other MLB suspension. He threw a bat, which is pretty much the same as a pitcher throwing a ball at a batter, except a ball could kill someone while the bat probably couldn't. A pitcher would get 7 games at most for the same thing. I don't buy into him trying to hit the catcher in the head. He had no beef with the catcher and it would be pretty hard to try and hit the catcher on your follow through while actually still trying to make contact with the ball.

If it was an accident, don't you think he would have been surprised his follow through hit the catcher? That's my main question with it. No doubt it's difficult to just plan to hit the catcher like that, and you're potentially giving up two at bats, but you just never see a player hit a catcher (inadvertently) and not have a reaction of concern or surprise that it happened. Machado had neither - twice.

Verified Member
You have to balance the recklessness of what he did with the degree to which he was purposefully trying to hit somebody. It looked to me like, at worst, he got angry and let the bat fly. If it clearly looked like he had deliberately tried to throw it at Abad or another A's player, then yeah we're talking a longer suspension. But 5 games seems more than fair for this.

Verified Member
If it was an accident, don't you think he would have been surprised his follow through hit the catcher? That's my main question with it. No doubt it's difficult to just plan to hit the catcher like that, and you're potentially giving up two at bats, but you just never see a player hit a catcher (inadvertently) and not have a reaction of concern or surprise that it happened. Machado had neither - twice.

Didn't see those plays, but I think I read that Norris (A's catcher) got hit yet again tonight, against a totally different team. Maybe it's something the catcher is doing and not the opposing batter.

I don't think Machado is overhyped at all. The kid hit .283, had 51 doubles, 14 home runs and 71 RBI, and won a Gold Glove at age 20. Three years ago, before Mike Trout came along, we'd be absolutely falling over one another talking about how great this kid is. As he matures a little more, some of those doubles are going to become home runs. He'll hit 20-25 bombs a season, and play Gold Glove defense at third. We'd trade pretty much any prospect we have in the system to get Machado in Milwaukee.

And I can't believe people are knocking his slash line this season. He's only played 35 games this year because he's still trying to come back from the leg injury he suffered at the end of last season. He ruptured the medial patellofemoral ligament in his left leg right at the end of the season. That's not as bad as tearing the MCL, or ACL, but it takes a good long while to heal.

As far as his behavior goes, watch him going forward. I hope he'll mature, just like I hope Harper will mature. What he did was wrong, and the suspension should have been longer. But it's done now.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I don't think Machado is overhyped at all. The kid hit .283, had 51 doubles, 14 home runs and 71 RBI, and won a Gold Glove at age 20. Three years ago, before Mike Trout came along, we'd be absolutely falling over one another talking about how great this kid is. As he matures a little more, some of those doubles are going to become home runs. He'll hit 20-25 bombs a season, and play Gold Glove defense at third. We'd trade pretty much any prospect we have in the system to get Machado in Milwaukee.

And I can't believe people are knocking his slash line this season. He's only played 35 games this year because he's still trying to come back from the leg injury he suffered at the end of last season. He ruptured the medial patellofemoral ligament in his left leg right at the end of the season. That's not as bad as tearing the MCL, or ACL, but it takes a good long while to heal.

As far as his behavior goes, watch him going forward. I hope he'll mature, just like I hope Harper will mature. What he did was wrong, and the suspension should have been longer. But it's done now.

I think what the kid did was pretty immature. I agree with those on "pedestals," on this thread. I don't agree with those who are taking the position that Machado is some unproven young kid. He's a budding superstar. He's an incredible 3rd basemen and he'd be and will likely be a great SS once Hardy is gone. He also hit exceptionally well for a 20 year old in the AL East.

That type of defensive ability with the potential to be a .300 hitter with 30 HR power? What's not to like? Other than the whole whining because someone tagged him too hard and throwing his bat at someone.

Hopefully these are isolated incidents. Who knows what's going on in his personal life and he is just 21. I'll give him a pass(after his suspension which I agree should have been at least 10 games and then maybe-MAYBE dropped to 7 or 8) if he doesn't turn into someone who regularly does this. Similar to Robbie Alomar and the spitting at the ump thing. That doesn't define him in my eyes and Machado can change my opinion in the same way.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

If you want to throw at me after I hit a HR, fine...my HR still counts and now you just put me on base (or fell behind in the count).

Tell that to Mickey Cochrane.

I don't remember all the facts (or many of the facts at all!). I think it was when Macha was coaching (or Yost?)? However, the Brewers retaliated by trying to hit someone and basically lost the game because of it. I'm sure someone on this thread will remember the game I'm talking about.

I guess I just don't get all the chest thumping. A Mickey Cochrane situation is rare and the "eye for eye" mentality does nothing to help avoid situations like that. I don't agree with the thought of "If I react this way they will think twice next time about throwing at me". No they won't. In fact, it just increases tensions and increases the likelihood of some sort of ill tempered reaction (which increases the chances of some unfortunate injury). The ultimate revenge is winning the game.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

If you want to throw at me after I hit a HR, fine...my HR still counts and now you just put me on base (or fell behind in the count).

Tell that to Mickey Cochrane.

I don't remember all the facts (or many of the facts at all!). I think it was when Macha was coaching (or Yost?)? However, the Brewers retaliated by trying to hit someone and basically lost the game because of it. I'm sure someone on this thread will remember the game I'm talking about.

It was Yost & it came against the Cards. I don't remember the specific year or date.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

September 2007, trying to catch the Cubs for the division in the final week:

On Tuesday night, La Russa saw purpose in a pitch that the former Cardinal Jeff Suppan threw up and in for ball four to Pujols in the eighth inning of another one-sided game. (The Brewers won, 9-1.) La Russa yelled at Yost and the bench coach Dale Sveum, who responded with obscenities.

So when Brad Thompson hit the Brewers first baseman and the most valuable player candidate Prince Fielder in the second inning Wednesday night with two on and first base open, the appearance of retaliation was so obvious that the umpire Tom Hallion warned both benches. That was why Yost and McClung were ejected in the eighth, when McClung hit Pujols in the back with the Cardinals leading, 2-1.

Although McClung insisted it was accidental, Yost, by not using Derrick Turnbow, his regular right-handed setup man, suggested that something was going on. The Cardinals rallied for four runs off Turnbow to win, 7-3, and the Brewers missed a chance to pick up a game on the Cubs.

Here's the game thread, which doubled in size after this went down:

viewtopic.php?f=81&t=8363&start=260

Back on topic about Machado, I think 5 games is okay, though I hope he doesn't get anything reduced in his appeal. 20-25 games is obscene for this IMO. He looked ridiculous, pretty much all the media is saying so, and I'm sure the veterans on his team told him so. Give him his suspension and move on. If he does something like that again, then I wouldn't be opposed to something more severe like a 15 game suspension.

I'm sure I'm in the miniority in that I DO NOT have a problem with Manny Machado's actions. Try to hit me repeatedly with a 90mph fastball, I'll try and hit you with a fling of my bat at 35mph, 60 feet away. Seems pretty fair. These pitchers think they are immune from retaliation. Maybe a few more bats flung at them will keep them from beaning batters.

If I were the opposing team of a pitcher in the NL who beaned my guy, I'd walk that pitcher his next at-bat and then throw over to first about 6 times, with my first baseman applying a tag to his face about as hard as he could. That pitcher would never purposefully bean another guy again.

Have you seen all his incidents from this weekend? He basically got tagged in the chest on a relatively normal play at third base. He promptly flipped out, spiked his helmet into the ground and got right in the face of the third basemen. That's not an over-reaction at all to you? Watch the play, Machado didn't even fall down, if the guy hit him hard (doesn't appear so), it's because he was lunging at him as Machado tried to avoid the tag)...this happens on tag plays pretty often and nobody goes nuts about it.

Sunday then, yes, the first pitch was up and in (pitchers are allowed to throw there, we don't know it was there on purpose or not). The next pitch, which was a strike that he swung at, his bat goes flying towards the third basemen - basically on purpose.

I fail to see how these are reasonable responses. The A's didn't throw it him all weekend. He wasn't beaned like 3 times or anything. So a pitch was throw inside, big deal. So he got tagged in the chest, big deal. He needs to grow up and stop acting like a baby.

Relief pitchers are somewhat immune (though the guy can always charge the mound), but starting pitchers have to bat these days with interleague play and if teams really want to retaliate by hitting them, eventually they will get the chance to do so.

Relief pitchers are somewhat immune (though the guy can always charge the mound), but starting pitchers have to bat these days with interleague play and if teams really want to retaliate by hitting them, eventually they will get the chance to do so.

Even better. Drill him in the kneecap and then throw over to first 6 times with a slap tag on his face every time. Love it!

I think last night's Brewer game was a classic example of how to handle being thrown at.

First of all, I really respected the way Braun just took off his shin guard and trotted down to first without any emotion after clearly getting plunked on purpose. Second, Lucroy's follow up grand slam was the exact way to take "revenge" for getting thrown at.

I know that there are a lot of jokes about St. Louis and being "classy" on this board. However, all joking aside, I think the way the Brewers handled that whole situation last night was a complete class act. No emptying of the dugouts, no retaliatory actions...just winning the game. AZ will probably end up with some fines and suspensions. All the Brewers get is a W.

Second, Lucroy's follow up grand slam was the exact way to take "revenge" for getting thrown at.

Lucroy could have just as easily grounded into a double play to end the inning and the D-Backs win the game. Ya, it was great that it happened but most of the time it won't. I doubt the Brewers would have handled it with as much "class" as they did had Lucroy not won the game on the next pitch. If AZ wins the game the Brewers probably come off looking more like the crybabies to everyone outside of Wisconsin.

Second, Lucroy's follow up grand slam was the exact way to take "revenge" for getting thrown at.

Lucroy could have just as easily grounded into a double play to end the inning and the D-Backs win the game. Ya, it was great that it happened but most of the time it won't. I doubt the Brewers would have handled it with as much "class" as they did had Lucroy not won the game on the next pitch. If AZ wins the game the Brewers probably come off looking more like the crybabies to everyone outside of Wisconsin.

I completely agree. The context of the game is what made Lucroy's "conduct" a no-doubter. Is Lucroy going to throw his bat at the pitcher when it's a 1 run game in the 7th inning and the bases loaded? Of course not. I don't hold Lucroy in any higher esteem because he "exacted revenge" the "right way". Lucroy had no other choice but to swing the bat and try and win the game.

Bringing it back to Machado, he didn't have any such context of the game to worry about. IIRC, it was an 8 run game or something close to that at the time. He tried to exact revenge in the physical sense and I personally don't have a problem with how he went about it. Eventually you get tired of being thrown at and after being the nice guy for a while, one can only say, "please, please, please stop doing that and "I'll ignore it and take my base with my head down" so many times.

I guess we will never know if the Brewers would have responded "in kind" if Lucroy had not hit the grand slam. I can't see any situation where Lucroy throws his bat at another player, regardless of the situation. He doesn't appear to be that kind of player (most MLB players are not that kind of player). My hope is that they would have taken a higher ground and not stoop to the childish "well he hit me first" level. You'll never convince me that that type of retaliation lowers the percentage of hitters that are thrown at.

Archived