Brewer Fanatic

Weeknight game times too late?

rickh150
If you watch football all day Sunday, you are going to work tired on Monday. If you watch Monday and Thursday night, you are going to work tired Tuesday and Friday. That's three compromised work days.

If you watch your favorite baseball team play Sunday afternoon you go to work fine on Monday. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday night games give you three compromised work days Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Thursday is normally a getaway day game and then you're back to the weekend so if you are a fan of both sports you're going into work tired essentially the same number of days.

That's only if you watch all the games. To follow your own team you don't have to stay up late more than a few times a year. Not the same with baseball.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

People leave early for Sunday games, they leave early on Friday and Saturday games.

The time the game starts has nothing to do with it.

If games took 2 hours, people would still leave early.

They all want to "beat the traffic"

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Community Moderator

Obviously some people will always leave early, but I find it hard to believe that 1/3-1/2 of the stadium is trying to beat traffic. There probably isn't any traffic at the end of the actual game because everyone is already gone!

We also wouldn't be having this discussion if there wasn't a recent uptick in the number of people leaving early.

I'm still convinced that more people are leaving early because the games are taking longer and there is less offense plus more pitching changes in the late innings.

We also wouldn't be having this discussion if there wasn't a recent uptick in the number of people leaving early.

I'm still convinced that more people are leaving early because the games are taking longer and there is less offense plus more pitching changes in the late innings.

I kind of agree with what you're saying, but I look at it somewhat more selfishly.

I'm already invested in the tickets and the experience of being at the game. So, If it's too hot, or if it's a blowout, or if it's a school night, or if that game is taking too long, or if I have something else going on, etc. then I'm going to leave when I want to leave, regardless of if it is in the 8th inning or the 5th inning, or the 3rd inning.

I'm okay with all of those, just like I'm okay with turning on a game on tv, and seeing that it's not that exciting, and then opting for something else.

People can choose to experience the games however they want to, if its staying until the very end, or donning a favorite player's jersey, or tailgating, or whatever.

When I was in my twenties and thirties, I would always stay until the end. Now that I'm older, it really doesn't matter to me. I'll give the Brewers a couple of hours a night, but other responsibilities come first. And if I'm not there to stand for the final out, then so be it.

I think the 7:10 start times are fine, if they started earlier it would be difficult for me to get to a game after work by the first pitch.

When at the game my GF and I usually leave our seats around the 7th to get a Long Island at Friday's, and meet up with friends at the game in other seats.

We usually end up watching the 9th inning from left field, so even though we aren't in our seats, we're still in the park.

Archived