Brewer Fanatic

At what point does Nelson replace Estrada?

phnxcrew
Back on topic, if Nelson can help the team, he should be brought up regardless of Super Two.

In hindsight, yes. However, now that we've waited half a season and are down to something like one more start for Estrada before Nelson can avoid Super Two, then I don't think it would be a good idea to call him up before the team is sure to avoid Super Two.

Estrada got blown up in June, but his last three starts have been 6.1 IP/2 ER, 6.0 IP/2 ER, 5.0 IP/3ER. Not great, but I don't think giving him one more start will kill us. I just hope that the Brewers are actually planning on bringing Nelson up, and aren't content with the "proven" Estrada being an "okay 5th starter that has settled down after a rough start."

Not to mention Estrada's next start, or Nelson's first start would be vs the Cards and Wainwright. I don't want to sound like a defeatist, but we're probably not winning that start anyway.

But for the love of God, at least sit Nelson down for a while so he doesn't keep pitching 7 inning every time out(even at 85 or so pitches).

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Estrada still has value for the Brewers and it would be foolish to just dump him for nothing this year. Much more likely to see him included in an offseason trade after his arbitration # is determined, or potentially as rotation filler in a deadline trade this year.

Estrada still has value for the Brewers and it would be foolish to just dump him for nothing this year. Much more likely to see him included in an offseason trade after his arbitration # is determined, or potentially as rotation filler in a deadline trade this year.

I don't agree. I don't think he's going to have any value after going to arbitration this off-season. After 500 innings in the big league, he's been worth 4.1 WAR, 3.1 of which came in one season. I don't think there is much of a chance the team even offers him arbitration. He's a clear non-tender candidate. Maybe it'd be better to hold onto him the rest of this year as our long reliever, though I do prefer Fiers, but I don't think teams are going to want to pay him 5-6 million next year, much less trade us anything for the right to do so.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think at this point you wait until after the all star break. That's one more start for Estrada. Coming out of the break, you immediately move Estrada to the bullpen. You can then wait until the fifth game after the all star break - July 22 - to call up Nelson and put him into the rotation.

This delays Nelson's arby clock for a couple of more weeks, and allows the team to have an extra arm in the bullpen for the first four games after the break.

Assuming there are no injuries, you send down one of Kintzler or Wooten.

I think at this point you wait until after the all star break. That's one more start for Estrada....

This delays Nelson's arby clock for a couple of more weeks, and allows the team to have an extra arm in the bullpen for the first four games after the break.

That makes sense to play the roster and Nelson's arby clock that way, since they've waited this long. But based on the Haudricourt tweet, it looks like with the Brewers' current free fall could accelerate the call up.

Calling up Nelson for SAT against STL is a move that indicates the series is a "must win". Management could be worried about what reaction losing the division lead at the All Star Break may cause.

I would rather have Nelson pitch against the Cardinals for the first time ever than Estrada pitch against the Cardinals ever again

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I would rather have Nelson pitch against the Cardinals for the first time ever than Estrada pitch against the Cardinals ever again

Especially when Wainwright is starting for the Cardinals.

That's what makes it more insignificant to me. Wainwright is probably the toughest pitcher in the league for the Brewers to face right now beating out Kershaw because of our ability RH'ed dominated lineup.

This whole staff could really use the extra days off from the ASB save for perhaps Garza who's dealing right now, but has a history of injury issues the last few years.

But if they bring Nelson up now, I'm certainly not going to complain at this point!

assuming that they're planning on jettisoning estrada, why wait? dfa him now, recall a position player such as gindl or herrera (think pinch runner for braun), and on saturday, option the position player and recall nelson. the offense needs all the help it can get right now!

Yeah, but what is the cost of a Super Two status? I don't remember if it has been estimated in another thread. Let's assume Super Two would cost a million bucks, is one start worth that?

Obviously it is not my money, so if MA wants to spend it that is fine with me. But if you were willing to spend a million on a fractional win, then it seems to me we can find better more bang for our buck elsewhere to improve on the win total.

And it isn't going to matter if the Brewers don't start hitting.

assuming that they're planning on jettisoning estrada, why wait? dfa him now, recall a position player such as gindl or herrera (think pinch runner for braun), and on saturday, option the position player and recall nelson. the offense needs all the help it can get right now!

Pretty sure they aren't going to just DFA Estrada. They'll probably send down Wooten or Kintzler, and try to trade Estrada.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Pretty sure they aren't going to just DFA Estrada. They'll probably send down Wooten or Kintzler, and try to trade Estrada.

I don't know what they will do, but I know I'd rather see them just let Estrada move on. Wooten has been alright(for the 6th guy in the pen) and Kintzler I still think is a guy we NEED to come through for us and perform closer to how he did last year.

Maybe a month in AAA will get Kintzler really back on track and he will be able to get that 93-94 MPH sinker back and be able to locate it better.

Yeah, but what is the cost of a Super Two status? I don't remember if it has been estimated in another thread. Let's assume Super Two would cost a million bucks, is one start worth that?

Obviously it is not my money, so if MA wants to spend it that is fine with me. But if you were willing to spend a million on a fractional win, then it seems to me we can find better more bang for our buck elsewhere to improve on the win total.

And it isn't going to matter if the Brewers don't start hitting.

they can call him up, start the game, send him down the next day until july 22nd/23rd and not have to worry about super 2.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

they can call him up, start the game, send him down the next day until july 22nd/23rd and not have to worry about super 2.

Works for me. And since they would only need 4 starters, they could bring Jeffress up or maybe even give Hermedia a shot. A big left handed bat who is having a nice season for the Sounds.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
At what point does Nelson replace the offense and the bullpen?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

At what point does Nelson replace the offense and the bullpen?

Those haven't been prolonged issues, they've been issues at times and overwhelming strengths at times. As such, you can only hope they collectively right the ship so to speak. And we don't have the option of calling up a top 40 prospect who's arguably the most MLB ready player in the minors at his position to fix either.

We do have that option at pitcher. Little things can lift a team. The last series before the ASB vs the team that is chasing you in the standings who just suffered a huge loss and you bring up your top young arm. MAYBE that will do it.

I'd still like to see Jeffress and Hermedia brought up. A big left handed bat who can play LF and RF and a power arm for the BP could help right now.

Archived