Brewer Fanatic

Thoughts on Jon Singleton's contract

ewitkows
Players who flame out in their pre-arbitration years really get screwed

I'll stick up for the MLBPA a little bit here. One day of MLB service time gets you lifetime health coverage and this extends back retroactively to anyone who ever played. 43 days gets you a $34,000 annual pension. Compared to other pro sports they've done well giving marginal guys a safety net. When you look at the NFL that generates so much money and so much violence, I think it's downright disgraceful that they haven't found a way to give every retired player a health plan.

I would like to see MLBPA stick their necks out a bit more for minor leaguers and amateur's, but it's simply the nature of all organized labor that they reward seniority and don't want to spend their power on non-members. MLBPA is still head and shoulders above any other players union when it comes to bringing home the bacon.

advocates for the devil

No way is MLBPA any way concerned for minor leaguers. You gotta play 43 days to get your pension. And, like all future promises, hard economic times can void them. So would you rather 34,000 'maybe' guaranteed forever with the hope of a big later motsa. Or are you happy to take 10 mill NOW.

The MLB guys are only looking after their own pockets and other high end and future high end players. They care NOTHING about Singleton's pocket or future.

Jon Singleton details: $1.5M this year, $2M/year from 2015-18, $2.5M ($500K buyout) in 2019, $5M and $13M ($250K buyout each) in 2020, '21.

Seems like he's leaving a bit of money on the table and if he doesn't pan out after 4 years they can dump him for 250k

You go on the 500k/550k/600k/750k salary since he wasn't going to earn a year service this year so the estimate before he reaches arb. He instead will have 7.5mil in his pocket by the time he gets to his 1st year arb. Which let's just guess is at 4mil(vs. 2.5mil) Then 8mil(vs 5mil) and 13mil(vs. 13mil) his final arb year. I honestly don't see a huge savings by Houston. Why would the MLBPA complain on this deal?

Now, if Singleton took this deal to begin this season then there's complaints but he was just weeks away from the added year of team control/non-super 2. He pretty much secured himself money that he likely would get going through arb. The only difference is Houston saved a few mil on Arb years 1+2 to pay a little more this year.

Deal seems legit to me, Singleton got to come up right away and begin his career while earning 1mil more than he would otherwise.

Archived