Brewer Fanatic

What could we get for Brad Mills?

With Brad Mills pitching lights out in AAA and his 6/15 opt out date approaching, what could we realistically get for him in a trade?

I can't imagine he won't opt out given his success and the Brewers basically have no room for him anywhere on the MLB roster. I'd imagine a team that wants him would part with something to ensure they get him, once he opts out, he'd be free to sign anywhere he wants.

I wouldn't expect much, but if we do trade him, what type of prospect could we get in return?

I'd be happy with International Bonus Pool space.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Well the obvious question is what would the Pirates want if anything in addition to Mills to surrender their Rule 5 rights to Wang and allow the Brewers to open up a bullpen spot for Gorzelanny. The only leverage the Brewers have is if multiple teams are eying him.

I'd have to imagine that given his numbers in AAA this year, along with the number of really bad starting pitchers in baseball that a lot of teams would be willing to take a shot with him on the MLB level - just a matter of who. And if they feel they could sign him or feel compelled to trade for him. I don't have any suggestions or anything, but I'd have to imagine Doug is checking it out. We simply have no real room for him on the Brewers and with his great numbers, it wouldn't make any sense for him to not exercise the opt-out clause.

Fiers doesn't have the same opt out as Mills but he is also a guy other teams could have considerable interest in. Melvin COULD choose to trade both Mills and Fiers since Nelson is Starter #6 and you also have Jungmann at AAA who could step in as well. Thornburg could also help out as well.

I wouldn't expect to get a ton for Mills; really anything would be great since he was a scrap heap pick up. Maybe you could get a guy rated in the 15-20 range on a respective team. I think you could probably get more for Fiers than you could for Mills but I don't think we could get an upper tier prospect in either case. Maybe a low level kid that has some upside. Maybe we could get an MLB reliever if we took on some salary.

He probably has minimal value elsewhere given that somebody else would be have to feel the same way we do (bullish on his renaissance this year).

I am under the assumption that he's just one of those 29 year old guys that is polished enough at this point to be a good AAA player but a poor MLB one.

That said, I am saying this without watching him or hearing a scouting report, but could he be a guy that we found an adjustment with or something? He looks like he was a reasonable prospect coming up with a good K/9 and good K/BB ratio. He got mauled by the PCL and eventually the Al East in his short stint up. Does anyone know if there is something we found in him or is this just a lucky streak where he is beating inferior competition?

The idea of trading him to Pittsburgh for Wang is good one, though we would obviously need to add a bit (maybe quite a bit) more to the pot.

I'm guessing that the Brewers find a way to keep him. They could re-do his contract to pay him more to stay in AAA for the time being, and maybe extend his opt-out date.

Nothing. He's a 29 year old with a mediocre minor league track record and an awful major league track record.

This is the correct answer.

If someone is starting Randy Wolf, how can a min.wage guy like Mills not get a shot? For Nashville, he is averaging more than a strikeout per inning and doesn't have much of a lefty/righty split. You have to question how many innings he has in the tank as a starter this year, its been since 2011 since he pitched a lot.

It sure would be nice to have Mills as an insurance policy, if we end up packaging Fiers in a deal to someone - then you have more than Nelson in reserve.

It sure would be nice to have Mills as an insurance policy

It might but even if it was, nobody's going to give up anything of value to get him. Every other major league team knows his track record. They're not going to be fooled by 60 innings in AAA.

Nothing. He's a 29 year old with a mediocre minor league track record and an awful major league track record.

This is the correct answer.

If someone is starting Randy Wolf, how can a min.wage guy like Mills not get a shot? For Nashville, he is averaging more than a strikeout per inning and doesn't have much of a lefty/righty split. You have to question how many innings he has in the tank as a starter this year, its been since 2011 since he pitched a lot.

It sure would be nice to have Mills as an insurance policy, if we end up packaging Fiers in a deal to someone - then you have more than Nelson in reserve.

Mills getting a "shot," with another major league team and Mills providing something valuable in a trade are two entirely different things. I wouldn't be surprised if he does get a shot given his early season production.

I also think just dismissing what he's done thus far(ie, teams aren't going to be "fooled," by 60 innings) discounts how good he's been and the fact that not every player develops on our timetable. Especially left handers. He's not 35. He just turned 29 years old. These are his prime years.

So I wouldn't be surprised to see him on a 25 man roster this year and to pitch reasonably well. But I doubt you're getting anybody who's more than a fringe type prospect.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I'd be happy with International Bonus Pool space.

I think some extra Bonus Pool space would be awesome but I am not familiar enough with the value of those slot picks and the corresponding cash to know what Mills could bring back from say, the Marlins. Is Mills worth the slot money at 32? 62? 92?

Is anyone familiar with the value of that money? I guess just as a reference, can you put Brewer players into perspective for me? The Astros hold the #1 slot at $3.3 mil .. the Brewers would have to trade which player to get that slot? Who to trade to pick up slot 60 and the $326,000? Slot 120 and $137,000? I realize it isn't that simple ... but if anyone has any background on it .. I'd appreciate the explanation.

Well the obvious question is what would the Pirates want if anything in addition to Mills to surrender their Rule 5 rights to Wang and allow the Brewers to open up a bullpen spot for Gorzelanny. The only leverage the Brewers have is if multiple teams are eying him.

The Brewers would have to waive Wang first, then him go unclaimed, to include him in any deal in which the Pirates surrender their rights to him.

I think some extra Bonus Pool space would be awesome but I am not familiar enough with the value of those slot picks and the corresponding cash to know what Mills could bring back from say, the Marlins. Is Mills worth the slot money at 32? 62? 92?

Is anyone familiar with the value of that money? I guess just as a reference, can you put Brewer players into perspective for me? The Astros hold the #1 slot at $3.3 mil .. the Brewers would have to trade which player to get that slot? Who to trade to pick up slot 60 and the $326,000? Slot 120 and $137,000? I realize it isn't that simple ... but if anyone has any background on it .. I'd appreciate the explanation.

Here is BA's article on it from last year.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Here is BA's article on it from last year.

Thanks, that helps.

I'm curious as to the value of said slots though. I know each team will value them differently, but is Brad Mills (for the sake of this thread) worth an extra 300K in bonus pool money? Worth an extra 100K? I don't know the values of those pieces...

There haven't been many trades for bonus pool space yet so it's tough to say.

From this BA article I linked earlier in last year's international signing thread:

On July 2, the Cubs gave second baseman Ronald Torreyes to the Astros in exchange for their No. 2 and 3 slot values ($784,700). But acquiring more pool space proved more challenging than they had anticipated.

Dominican outfielder Eloy Jimenez had an agreement to sign with the Cubs on July 2 but agreed to wait to sign his contract. Once the Cubs couldn’t acquire any more pool space and became more enthusiastic about a top prospect from Taiwan, the Cubs blew past their pool space, with Jimenez getting a $2.8 million bonus (the biggest of the year for an international amateur by far) on Aug. 1, the day after the major league trade deadline.

- Plato

- Plato

• 2 weeks later...

LoL Come on! $1? He's being inserted in to the A's Starting Rotation immediately...the A's owners of the Best record in the AL! Brad Mills is quality enough to put in that rotation, but worth $1 in trade? I get we didn't have any bargaining chips with his opt-out ability but $1? :facepalm:

It's okay honestly, I'm reading a scouting report from 2012: FB 86 Curve 71 Change 78 Cutter 82 Are these really velocity numbers that you would want being added to Milw's rotation? Now, maybe he found a little extra but it's doubtful he's working in the 90+ range with his FB.

My guess is the whole reason to have Mills was insurance for a Starting Rotation injury bug like 2013. We've been healthy thus far and he's no longer needed. At least we got $1 right?

Lame, I wanted my international bonus space, even $100,000 would have been awesome.

- Plato

- Plato

Archived