Brewer Fanatic

2014 All Stars [Announced 7/6: Ramirez and Gomez start, Lucroy and K-Rod reserves]

Bombers

Latest results have Braun in 3rd place in the OF. Gomez is in 6th place. Ramirez is in 2nd place for third base. I am actually pretty surprised to see Braun in 3rd place. That isn't just Brewers fans putting him there.

Currently getting snubbed: Lucroy. If he doesn't make it (and I understand Buster and Yadier's impact) it will be a shame. Hopefully the Brewers fans can get both Gomez and Lucroy on the team. They both deserve it.

It will also be interesting what pitchers make it, as arguments could be made for a number of them. (Lohse, Peralta, Rodriguez, Smith)

And for those with some free time, here is the ballot:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/all_star/y2014/ballot.jsp

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Curious if the Brewers just took Samardzija's spot yesterday with that game. Hard to keep him off the team when he is leading the league in ERA... But if he spills out of the top 10 with a 1-5 record? What other Cub could take his spot? Any?

Curious if the Brewers just took Samardzija's spot yesterday with that game. Hard to keep him off the team when he is leading the league in ERA... But if he spills out of the top 10 with a 1-5 record? What other Cub could take his spot? Any?

Hammel is 6-3 with a 2.78 ERA, WHIP of 0.869, and K/BB ratio of 4.13. Hitters are batting only .187/.243/.291 off him. He's actually been better than Samardzija, 2.3 WAR to 1.9. Samardzija gets the attention because of lack of wins oddly enough but Hammel is their All Star as the Brewers can attest.

It's sort of curious that Carlos Gomez is 6th in voting while Braun is 3rd. Gomez has been one of the ten or fifteen best position players in MLB this season. You could legitimately make the argument that Gomez is a top 3 NL outfielder (Stanton, Puig, Gomez) this season and Lucroy has been the best catcher in the NL.

I think the 2 Brewers most deserving of an All Star bid this year are Lucroy and Lohse. Braun and Gomez will both make it. Frankie has a chance I think.... But I will be hurt of those first two don't get there this year.

Gomez deserves to start in the NL with Puig and Stanton. Braun is deserving of a reserve spot. Lucroy deserves to start too, but he'll end up as a reserve. Lohse isn't a lock yet. There's lots of pitchers having great years. NL starter locks so far are Cueto, Hudson, Wainwright, Greinke and Teheran plus one of the Cubs. That's 6 for sure. How many other starters get selected?

A case could be made for Will Smith too.

I wish the NL and AL managers just selected the teams based on who is deserving instead of fan vote. Market size is too varied for it to be a fair vote. Or even better yet, if there was a panel of ex managers that did it and they managed the teams. So like LaRussa could do NL and Torre could do AL this year and then rotate in guys like that who are deserving. Maybe let the fans vote on that.

Gomez should start in CF, Braun (Puig) and Lucroy (Molina) should be reserves. Sergura with a hot month, could be a reserve as well.

As far as pitchers, Lohse should be there. Krod and Smitt are also deserving.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don't disagree Gomez should start... I should have qualified that better. I thought Gomez was going to be an MVP candidate again this year, he should be an all star the next few seasons. With Lucroy and Lohse it is a bit more murky, so I really hope they get the call this year, as their opportunities may be more limited. When I said who "should be all stars" .. That is more what I meant.

Lucroy is going to make the team along with Posey as backups to Yadi. The only screaming about that will be from Atlanta fans who overrate Gattis because he hits HR. What Lucroy is doing may be lost on the voting public but it's not lost around baseball. I often listen to opponents telecasts, and he's raved about routinely.

I think it is kind of funny how many votes Braun is getting. Reading the op ed pieces if he gets elected by the fans one year after being suspended will be entertaining. Jeff Passan might just decide to quit.

I am not sure if the media would be more upset if fans voted Braun in, if the manager picked him, or if the players picked him.

Gomez has to be a lock at this point and Lucroy, Braun, Lohse, and Krod all have a chance. Peralta has been pretty good but probably doesn't have enough wins. Smith has been great but you can probably count the number of non closing relievers selected to recent all star games on one hand.

I am already puking about the Jeter love fest that the All Star Game will surely be.

I wish the NL and AL managers just selected the teams based on who is deserving instead of fan vote. Market size is too varied for it to be a fair vote. Or even better yet, if there was a panel of ex managers that did it and they managed the teams. So like LaRussa could do NL and Torre could do AL this year and then rotate in guys like that who are deserving. Maybe let the fans vote on that.

I think they should still have the fans vote, but have the fan vote count for 50% and have a player vote that counts for the other 50% (ie. proportionally to the fan vote). Managers would still pick the starting pitcher and fill out the rest of the roster, etc. Players wouldn't be able to vote for guys on their own team to make it really fair.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Braun is quietly having a better year than most people think. If he had more at bats he would be in the top ten in batting average and a few other categories. I guess because he has been on the DL people think he hasn't produced.

I think it is kind of funny how many votes Braun is getting. Reading the op ed pieces if he gets elected by the fans one year after being suspended will be entertaining. Jeff Passan might just decide to quit.

Just goes to show that the silent majority doesn't really care about steroids.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Braun is quietly having a better year than most people think. If he had more at bats he would be in the top ten in batting average and a few other categories. I guess because he has been on the DL people think he hasn't produced.

Sure if he had more AB's he'd be in contention as a starter. But he doesn't. It's not that Braun hasn't been fine or worthy of a spot on the All Star bench, it's that other guys, most notably Puig, Stanton and Gomez, have all been on the field more and producing fantastic numbers. All things being equal, the guys who've played in more games are more deserving.

All-star voting came up during an IGT. I figured I would post my comment here as well:

Saw an article on a Giants board that talked about their fans using mailinator addresses a ton. I used it this year to see and it does work. You can put anything at all in front of @mailinator.com and it's an automatic email address. I put one@mailinator.com, voted, change the "one" to "two", vote again and so on. Mlb site even keeps your picks so you don't even reselect players. You can change a couple letters and go.

The article talked about like 4 Giants players finishing higher than they should have.

Edit: found the link here it is.

http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/the-mlb-all-star-game-needs-to-go-back-to-its-roots/

Archived