Brewer Fanatic

2014 Closer

Should we start a pool on the date Will Smith is named the closer? I'm not advocating removing KRod yet, and I'm sure the Brewers aren't anywhere near ready to make that move. I just believe at some point this year, KRod will not be the closer any longer- at least not full time closer.

Henderson may not be back this year, and even if he is you can't count on him. KRod started out lights out, obviously he couldn't keep that up. Were his last few outings a blip or a trend?

Ideally, I wouldn't want a named closer. Let the game dictate who closes (tough righties or lefties coming up in the 9th), who is rested, who is throwing really well, etc. But since I know they feel the need to have a named closer, it almost has to be Thornburg or Smith if KRod falters, and if there has to be a closer Smith is probably the choice.

I could see them making a move to bring in a reliable arm in the bullpen for the stretch run, something I would have never thought they needed a month ago.

Archived