Brewer Fanatic

2014-05-28 Orioles (Norris) at Brewers (Gallardo), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 8-3]

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It amazes me how often the Crew rip a pitcher early has him in the 65+pitch range at 3innings. And then the guy manages to complete 6innings. Meanwhile our starter is at 35-40 pitches through 3 innings and struggles to reach 6IP when he's in the 90s in pitch count....I'm talking about Garza/Gallardo/Estrada namely.

Edit: Norris at 50pitches through 2IP, 66 through 3, 79 through 4, 87 through 5.

Meanwhile Gallardo: 32 through 2, 42 through 3, 71 through 4, 81 through 5.

Just frustrating to watch our bullpen wind up getting used in the same inning as our opponents when our pitcher was 24 pitches ahead on count through 3 IP.

The problem is that just because a guy walks three batters in a row doesn't mean he's gassed. It means he's not pitching particularly well for those three batters, but other than that three batter stretch, he's been good tonight, now through 5.

And I don't think his ankle is bothering him. He even said last night that he wasn't even thinking about it when he was legging out that double.

Everyone always thinks that as soon as a guy has a rough patch after the third inning that he's gassed.

This was the first I'd seen Yo throw tonight, and it looked like he was laboring a little bit to me. I was wrong, and I'm happy to admit it. I'd much prefer him staying in there if at all possible.

I mean, there's a chance he was tired, but I wouldn't just assume it because he wasn't pitching well.

Inning ending DP's are common and as much a part of the fabric of the game as the chalked lines and bases themselves...

...America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again.

Well said, good sir.

All Star voting:

Lucroy fourth among catchers.

Braun third among outfielders..

Gomez sixth among outfielders.

Ramirez second among third basemen.

Segura fifth at shortstop.

Voting ends July 3rd.

Time for me to get the voting machine going. :devil

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

cruz does look very big.... that's not in blue.

I thought he just looked kinda chunky.

Big papi always has too.

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Ha -- Lohse impersonating Gomez's HR trot was excellent

My favorite Lohse moment was when he impersonated Tony LaRussa before a game.

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2011/06/06/cardinalscoverx-large.jpg

You would think the team would throw a bean ball to make Nelson Cruz uncomfortable in that box? Vs. a 1st pitch HR given up?

Gomez gets pegged weekly by teams, this game an example.

Norris was visibly upset that he hit Gomez. He didn't bean him, he tried to run a FB over the inside corner & it ran too far inside.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Ha -- Lohse impersonating Gomez's HR trot was excellent

My favorite Lohse moment was when he impersonated Tony LaRussa before a game.

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2011/06/06/cardinalscoverx-large.jpg

I'd forgotten that! Pretty awesome. Lohse really seems like one of the funniest dudes on the team.

You would think the team would throw a bean ball to make Nelson Cruz uncomfortable in that box? Vs. a 1st pitch HR given up?

Gomez gets pegged weekly by teams, this game an example.

Norris was visibly upset that he hit Gomez. He didn't bean him, he tried to run a FB over the inside corner & it ran too far inside.

But that's just it, run a FB inside to Cruz to back him off his batting stance. If you bean him, so what? One way or the other you make him think about that pitch coming inside again. I'd follow up the FB inside a couple pitches later with a Curveball see if he flinches at that while it bends in for strike two or three.

For all I know, Yo did try to run a FB inside to Cruz. I guess I could go back & watch if I really wanted to.

I hear you overall, but I just don't think the Brewers are actively avoiding pitching Cruz inside. It's one thing to have a gameplan & it's another to execute it. Rock was talking on the broadcast about how important it is to pitch Cruz in... I'm going to go out on a limb & say the Brewers know that too :)

He has Gallardo back out for the 7th. He already has 95 pitches. Is this wise??
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

He has Gallardo back out for the 7th. He already has 95 pitches. Is this wise??

Yeah my previous comment about the double switch figured Gallardo was done. This is playing out just like yesterday's game. Only so far Gallardo is getting the job done.

Archived