Brewer Fanatic

Congrats UW- Whitewater!

FVBrewerFan
Just got back from the Championship game, what a dominant run they had in this year's tourney. On top of that, rather amazing this is historical now that they won the title in football, basketball, and baseball in the same year. Whtewater, WI- the new Titletown USA!

Its kind of crazy that a school in Whitewater where there is literally nothing to do ever has been able to build such a dominating sports culture. The facilities are amazing for Division 3 but it still has to take a hell of a recruiting effort to get kids to play in Whitewater.

Whitewater benefits significantly from the lack of Division 2 schools in WI. If kids aren't good enough for Division 1, don't want to go far away from home or can't afford out of state tuition you go to UWW. It is a great campus; that is the biggest thing they have going for them. The city kind of sucks.

I have also heard that the campus and city police in Whitewater are underage drinking Nazis; that school definitely has a reputation for having a very low tolerance for that. I probably would have gotten kicked out.

I have also heard that the campus and city police in Whitewater are underage drinking Nazis; that school definitely has a reputation for having a very low tolerance for that. I probably would have gotten kicked out.

Same thing as Oshkosh, Eau Claire, a lot of these state campuses. But the athletes are there to play, and whatever time is left....study. Don't need a whole lot going on beyond that. And again, not that different from most other schools in WI in terms of having lots of stuff going on.

They actually recruit atheltes, not sure how many other D III schools i nthe state or elsewhere do that. But any way you slice it, astronomical odds to win all 3 major sports the same year.

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment on the low tolerance....

I went to UWW (granted, I've been gone for 8 years now), but back then, the police more or less looked the other way on drinking. As stated, there is nothing to do there really, so the main focus, at least from my experience, was finding ways to drink. I went to several parties and then hosted several more in my last couple years there - never once encountering the police or anything. I think unless you are blatant about it or they get called by a neighbor, they more or less look the other way. But again, things could have changed, and obviously it's a bit different if you're an athlete.

It's really quite amazing what they've done. The three sport sweep, plus all the other titles that have been won in the last ten years, it's really quite impressive for a small school in the middle of nowhere. Division 3 or not, championships are hard to come by and they've dominated the D3 landscape for a decade now essentially.

Archived