Brewer Fanatic

The "This Cost Us the Playoffs in 2014" thread

lcbj68c

Everyday there seems to be a new reason for "why we'll miss the playoffs". So I figured we'd start tracking it and at the end of the year we can take a massive vote without forgetting out on all the little reasons.

1) Wei Chung Wang makes opening day roster. Wang makes the 2nd day roster...Wang makes 3rd...et al

2) Ron Roenicke is a dummy and lets F. Rodriguez close on opening day, blowing Henderson's confidence for the entire season.

2) Aramis Ramirez hits the DL again, Lyle Overbay sees 100 plate appearances.

3) Brandon Kintzler repeatedly pitches in close games and lets inherited runners score like the Titanic took on water.

4) While allowing coaches to celebrate their children's high school graduation, Roenicke sends Maldonado down to warm up a 2nd pitcher and the wrong pitcher warms up and is not ready, leading to Kintzler's runner to score.

5) Gomez makes the 3rd out at 3rd base with the tying run short of scoring in the 7th inning of a 1 run ballgame.

6) Jeff Bianchi sees 58 plate appearances.

7) Segura can't throw out Casey McGahee on a routine ground ball.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh my, it is impossible to track, but there are probably 20 other examples that are not listed, maybe more...

Help me catch up. It is indeed impossible to remember the cry of the day. I guess I could go back and look through the IGT's.

Today's reason will be a "Roenice went with a Sunday lineup vs a soft tossing Randy Wolf"

I can see it now.

Wolf 7IP 0ER 2H 3BB 4K (W 1-0)

Nelson 5IP 5ER 9H 2BB 2K (L 0-1)

Seriously what is with the negativity?

Let's see-

1. Wang EARNED his spot in the roster with a great spring. Yes at some point you need to make a judgement on him as he hasn't been able to get outs. But to say he shouldn't have made the team is very short sighted.

2.A - RRR may have saved the season with NOT starting Hendo. His velocity was down and wasn't all that effective in the appearances before the DL stint.

2.B - I think we all knew Aram would hit DL. However, he had an awesome April and we need him for the stretch run with his typical 2nd half batting production.

2.C - A point we all agree on. Lyle should be gone.

3 - Kintzler had a 2.6 ERA in 71 games last year. Has a career 3.3 ERA, but isn't good enough for 7th inning duty? If your argument he is still hurt- fine. But he has been proven to be quite effective.

4- "Allowing" someone the "opportunity" to watch their kid graduate. Your wording is chosen poorly. Yes they screwed up a pretty easy switch but 0% of the blame is on our bullpen and pitching coach.

5 - GoGo plays a 0-60 game as a racecar on a race track. I agree his out was silly but getting him to not stretch bases is going against the grain of his value. For every "error" he commits on the bases he makes up with stretches where he pushes the envelop and is safe.

6- see #1 - Jeff earned his spot and was given a whopping 58 plate appearances. Wow.

7 - sure mark this down as the reason why the Brewers will miss the playoffs. Forget about the other 4,373 outs in a season. Jeez. Guys makes a bad through and you want to crucify him. How about the flip side and RRR putting him leadoff and him having back to back Multi hit games. But let's not talk about the positives made this season. Let's focus on the negativity.

Oh my, it is impossible to track, but there are probably 20 other examples that are not listed, maybe more...

Help me catch up. It is indeed impossible to remember the cry of the day. I guess I could go back and look through the IGT's.

Today's reason will be a "Roenice went with a Sunday lineup vs a soft tossing Randy Wolf"

I can see it now.

Wolf 7IP 0ER 2H 3BB 4K (W 1-0)

Nelson 5IP 5ER 9H 2BB 2K (L 0-1)

Honestly I like this lineup. I see no part that is a "Sunday" lineup unless maybe Braun, Gogo and Luc were not starting but they are. And I like Jimmy starting. Let's hope the brewers flip around those numbers on your prediction.

I took the original post as tounge-in-cheek

Yeah, it was. I hoping to see how more ridiculous it could get. Rather than every post starting with, "this will cost us the playoffs", we now have a dedicated thread! #Winning

That said, there is only 1 out in the top of the 1st inning with 3 runs in but I change my analysis for the day.

The architect and builder for the Marlins new stadium could cost us the playoffs. If they don't put a roof on that place, yesterday gets rained out and we would have won both games today.

Honestly I like this lineup. I see no part that is a "Sunday" lineup unless maybe Braun, Gogo and Luc were not starting but they are. And I like Jimmy starting. Let's hope the brewers flip around those numbers on your prediction.

Love the lineup as well. Hope we win 20-0.

I took the original post as tounge-in-cheek

Yeah, it was. I hoping to see how more ridiculous it could get. Rather than every post starting with, "this will cost us the playoffs", we now have a dedicated thread! #Winning

That said, there is only 1 out in the top of the 1st inning with 3 runs in but I change my analysis for the day.

The architect and builder for the Marlins new stadium could cost us the playoffs. If they don't put a roof on that place, yesterday gets rained out and we would have won both games today.

Ok - well I feel a little ridiculous. This thread really got under my skin. Sorry about that. Go Brewers!!

Ok - well I feel a little ridiculous. This thread really got under my skin. Sorry about that. Go Brewers!!

Eh. It was meant in fun. And to poke the bellies of posts that start, "Playoff teams don't do XYZ" or "This could make us miss the playoffs..." That's the crux of jumping out to a 13 over .500 pace. Suddenly everyone is hanging on every pitch, every decision, every roster move, etc because the playoffs are in focus on May 15th.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I realize I had one of the "this could cost us the playoffs" posts.....but to be fair, it was in direct response to a post that said "it's not like this loss will cost us a shot at the playoffs...." so there is that to consider.

Every win counts. Every loss counts.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Well, if it helps at all. One of the radio announcers mentioned that when a team is leading their division on Memorial Day (which the Brewers will be tomorrow), they make the playoffs 62% of the time.

Love the idea behind the thread. Nicely played Ic. (may I call you Ic)

Not signing Casey McGehee to play third when Ramirez goes down has got to be a main driver in our losing road trip IMHO. That is two or three losses right there.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I understand the tongue-in-cheek point of this thread, but I think it's a little silly to imply that blowing a couple games on a complete managerial brain fart and poor fundamental baserunning over the course of a week is not that big of a deal.

So within the span of 1 week:

- Our manager "assumes" that someone is warming in the bullpen and is forced to put in a cold reliever. We go on to give up 3 runs and lose the game.

- Our aggressive style comes back to bite as we essentially forfeit a run when Gomez tries to go from 1st to 3rd with 2 outs and nullifies Braun's run. We go on to lose 2-1.

- We have a runner on 3rd with 1 out in a walkout situation. We send in a AAAA pinch runner on 3rd for one of our best players. He sprints for the plate on a looping line drive out to SS. We lose in extras.

Is it really a wonder why most experts believe our fast start was just that and we're now headed back to the pack? We're giving games away left and right. We're not losing games, we're giving them away. The tongue-in-cheek theme of this thread is ironic.

These games right here are what cost you. We had ample chances to score in the 8th and 9th inning and can't hit a simple sac fly (and horrible base running in the 9th by Herrera doesn't help). Then we fail to play no doubles in two situations and both times it costs us - plus Davis missing that Hardy drive by about an inch it seems. I'm so infuriated right now.

RRR says "we run on contact with runners on 2nd and 3rd. He just did what he was told."

Quite possibly biting the bullet for one of his players.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

RRR says "we run on contact with runners on 2nd and 3rd. He just did what he was told."

Quite possibly biting the bullet for one of his players.

Definitely biting the bullet for Herrera's mistake. If he actually instructs his players to run on contact on 2nd and 3rd - no matter how many outs - I seriously have to question why he would have a job.

Archived