Brewer Fanatic

Baserunning Fiasco (May 24 @ MIA)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't know that I'd call Gomez the best baserunner on the team. He's certain the fastest and most aggressive, but he makes a ton of outs on the basepaths. 37 since the beginning of 2010. Being fast and aggressive doesn't mean he's a 'good' baserunner, it just means he's fast.

I'm not agreeing that he's a bad baserunner, but I think he makes more outs on the base paths than he ought to. We're still in May, and he's made 6 outs on the bases already this year. That's just too many.

Braun had no reason the sprint to home. He was going to score easily no matter what and with as fragile as he is I wouldn't mind if he coasted home and took it easy. Gomez was at fault for that particular play. Gomez certainly isn't the worst base runner on the team. He is the most aggressive so he gets thrown out more often then the other guys but the Crew reaps the benefits of him taking extra bases all the time

Braun was running pretty hard, too. It's not like he was just trotting in. The only thing he could've done differently is run through the plate like a close play at 1B, but iirc he got no indication from anyone that he should do so... the guy doesn't have eyes in the back of his head.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived