Brewer Fanatic

Jimmy Nelson to Start on Sunday [Corresponding roster move: Bianchi outrighted to AAA]

Bombers

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I bet they send down Wooten, who's been pitching really well since his recall. Otherwise, Kintzler's the only other option of the relievers (assuming Wang is untouchable).

No matter what, you deplete the bullpen even further. Perhaps they'll DL Gallardo.

I bet they send down Wooten, who's been pitching really well since his recall. Otherwise, Kintzler's the only other option of the relievers (assuming Wang is untouchable).

No matter what, you deplete the bullpen even further. Perhaps they'll DL Gallardo.

I'm guessing it'll be a position player if it's just for a start. Herrera and they can bring up..well anyone really, Heredia, Gindl, though hopefully Morris.

But putting Yo on the DL would be my move. Why not just push him back a little bit further, give Nelson two starts and let Yo's arm get a little extra rest.

I have a good feeling about Nelson's start by the way. 7 IP 2-3 ER's vs a very good offensive team.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I think putting Gallardo on the DL is the right move then you don't deplete the bullpen or the bench. Gallardo would then only lose one more start and the Brewers could bring up an extra reliever or bench help after Nelson's second start as well for a few days.

Was also thinking there was a good chance this would be the move. But if Nelson is optioned right after the start they could possibly activate Henderson, so the bullpen would only be short for a day, though Henderson for Wooten seems like a poor exchange for bullpen strength at the moment.

A number of possibilities are out there to be considered. Braun could be DL'd again. Of course Gallardo could end up on DL but that doesn't guaranty Nelson stays beyond the one start. Gorzelanny is close to being activated too and he could just replace Nelson and they could give Thornburg the 2nd start. I don't think they will DFA Overbay until Ramirez comes off the DL and more likely when it's clear whether or not they sign Morales. If no Morales, then it's Morris time. Problem with sending down Herrera is that both Gomez with his back and Braun are basically day to day. If they can get by (it was mentioned Gennett was taking some practice in the OF) then I suspect Herrera will be sent out. There's one logical pitching move that could be made of course, but no sense opening that discussion here.

Was also thinking there was a good chance this would be the move. But if Nelson is optioned right after the start they could possibly activate Henderson, so the bullpen would only be short for a day, though Henderson for Wooten seems like a poor exchange for bullpen strength at the moment.

Gorzellany?

For the sake of conversation, if Nelson ends up with 2 starts and straight DEALS, do we have a dilemma on our hands? Is there anyway he forces his way into the rotation at this point?

Estrada would probably become a long man in the bullpen, I'd guess.

No as I don't believe the Brewers would keep Nelson up as he would reach super 2 status if he stays on the team all year.

Welcome to the big club, Jimmy. Too bad Nashville scores more runs for you than the Brewers will.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

They should just leave Nelson up and go with a six-man rotation until the Brewers sign Morales in the second week of June.

Morales? They can find a better 1B man than that with the farm system they have. Agree about keeping Nelson up. Release Weeks and trade for a good 2B/SS backup player. Start Gennett full time. The more he sees LHP the better he will get. Weeks is hurting his development. It's time to improve the bench and Melvin needs to wake up an do it and realize he doesn't have good backup options in the Brewers system.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

They should just leave Nelson up and go with a six-man rotation until the Brewers sign Morales in the second week of June.

Morales? They can find a better 1B man than that with the farm system they have. Agree about keeping Nelson up. Release Weeks and trade for a good 2B/SS backup player. Start Gennett full time. The more he sees LHP the better he will get. Weeks is hurting his development. It's time to improve the bench and Melvin needs to wake up an do it and realize he doesn't have good backup options in the Brewers system.

Morales is a proven, professional, MLB switch hitter with power. You can't say that about anyone in their system. He'll be available for no compensation in 2 weeks. Opportunities for playoffs don't come around every year for the Brewers. It behooves them to try and get him.

I don't think its good to obsess about only 1 option to improve first base. It is also instructive to look around at the stats of first basemen for other non contenders (and many contenders for that matter). Getting a platoon partner that can reliably post a .750 or greater OPS this year is a challenge. My thought experiment would be how fast can the Brewers sign Morales? I'm curious about the possibility of what amounts to a pre-draft deal that is announced after the 1st pick has been made?

Archived