Brewer Fanatic

2014-05-23 Brewers (Estrada) at Marlins (Koehler) 6:10 PM CDT [Brewers win homerfest, 9-5]

I won't blame Marco for that last one. No reason for a guy to be able to reach down and hit that out.

I suppose if I wanted to get lenient, giving up a couple to Stanton isn't anything to be markedly ashamed of.

Rumor has it RR mistakenly had the team fly back to Milwaukee last night, he didn't realize this was an away series. The players thought it didn't make sense but nobody said anything.

Just read comment in the last IGT about bullpen initiative, and that is why I am commenting here. How was the bullpen supposed to pick up the phone and ask RR what was going on when he was out on the mound getting Kintzler?

There would be no need for a single one of those guys to be calling the dugout. Their entire careers they wait in the bullpen until they get a call from the dugout and then follow that direction. Nothing would make me expect them to do something different.

First off, yes this is on RR and it is a little unclear what exactly happened. One thing they did mention was Maldy going down to warm up a second pitcher, then no one warmed up since they didn't make the call. If they were confused at that time, you would have thought someone would have picked up the phone and asked. Maybe the pitchers, maybe Maldy, maybe Hanel.. Who knows. Then again, maybe no one had any reason to think anyone would be warming up until RR went out to the mound. It's not clear, but you'd think if there was any question someone would have shown some initiative and asked what was going on. Maybe I'm asking the question or speculating rather than accusing anyone. It's still not clear to me what the complete chain of events were.

When you're up by 7 runs you throw strikes and make them hit their way back into the game - you don't dink around trying to hit the corners and walk guys on base. Despite the HRs, still up by four runs. As this game has shown, solo HRs don't hurt you. It's when you walk guys and give up 2/3-run HRs that hurt you.

It was tough part of the order, but I can't justify using Smith in this game. Why not Duke and hope he can go both innings. Worst case you go Duke to KRod if Duke gives up a run. Best case he throws both innings, either way you don't tack on an inning to Smiths work load.

I don't mind RR as much as some (except last nights debacle), but my one gripe is the amount of pitchers he burns through in situations where he doesn't need to.

(Can interchange Duke/Wooten in this post. I think either one could have pitched both innings without giving up 4 runs)

I don't see the point of trading him. He's a good starting pitcher. I guess if we could get a younger pitcher of equal quality.

...or if only we already had a more talented pitcher just waiting for a chance...

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Let's just hope whoever Roenicke calls to come in is actually in the ballpark.

We watched the Marlin broadcast team - BTW, IMO these guys are the best - and they said it is almost impossible to see what is going on in the visitor's bullpen in Atlanta. Even they in the broadcast booth can't see! I wonder if we mistakenly had Duke warming up when RR wanted Smith instead. Nobody could see who was warming up and our bullpen coach wasn't there so RR assumed it was Smith and not Duke. What a crazy situation. The team showed me something by bouncing back against Miami after that embarrassment.

I won't blame Marco for that last one. No reason for a guy to be able to reach down and hit that out.

I suppose if I wanted to get lenient, giving up a couple to Stanton isn't anything to be markedly ashamed of.

We see all of the Marlin games here in southwest FL and that Stanton guy is a beast. He can launch HRs off of everybody.

Here's something novel: Gomez admired a non-homer and the other team didn't say anything!

Tommy Sutton - who is the color guy for the Marlins - made me giggle when he said "somewhere Cole is screaming" when Gomez admired that hit. :laughing

I don't see the point of trading him. He's a good starting pitcher. I guess if we could get a younger pitcher of equal quality.

...or if only we already had a more talented pitcher just waiting for a chance...

True, true, but I don't see a need to trade Estrada when we'd probably get "just a guy" for him and reduce our depth at starting pitcher.

Archived