Brewer Fanatic

No Wild Card For the Central?

I've been fascinated by Abreu since looking him up a few year ago: .399/.555/.822 in 89 games in 2009/2010. Hit .453/.597/.986 in 2010/2011 in 66 games. Those are MVP Baseball 2005 numbers!

But, I don't think he's cut and dry that much better than Hamilton. It's sort of like the old Cabrera vs. Trout debate; Abreu is head and shoulders above Hamilton at the plate, but Hamilton does hold his own. Hamilton is exceptional on the bases and very good in the field at a premium position, while Abreu is a mediocre defender and baserunner at 1B. Add in Abreu's injury, and I think it's pretty reasonable to argue that Hamilton has provided similar value to his ball club this season.

Back to the topic, I see three teams who've put themselves in striking range of the Brewers; odds are one of those three teams will put together a strong end of the season, and with the Braves/Nationals and Giants/Dodgers being the only two other wild-card threats, I'll be surprised if the NL Central doesn't capture at least one spot. Just looking at the playoff odds it looks like we should see a NL Central club in the play-in game.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jose Abreu of the White Sox is having a better rookie season.
He must be some player then! I see him on the highlights but otherwise I'm unfamiliar.

On the Reds: sure enough they gained ground on ALL seven NL post season contenders last night. Pretty scary. That's really hard to do. Surely the Cubs can get one tonight...........NOT! :rolleyes

Baseball-Reference.com is a great website & requires very little effort to view a ton of information. Check it out!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived