Giants......39-21

Brewers...35-25

Braves.....31-27

Marlins.....31-28

Cardinals..31-29

Dodgers....31-30

Nationals..29-28

Rockies.....28-30

The Cards are barely holding on to a spot now and the Giants are even stronger than last week.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

St. Louis radio call-in shows, internet blogs and forums are exploding. At the store I saw an old lady cussing out the butcher over the issue. It is not a good time to visit Dago Hill, home of Berra and Garagiola

"What's wrong with the Cardinals?" 2-8 in their last 10 and things are getting hot for manager Matheny. Basically the same team fielded last year sans the good hitting and pitching. So what's the problem?

I have a theory, but it's full of holes.

St. Louis radio call-in shows, internet blogs and forums are exploding. At the store I saw an old lady cussing out the butcher over the issue. It is not a good time to visit Dago Hill, home of Berra and Garagiola

"What's wrong with the Cardinals?" 2-8 in their last 10 and things are getting hot for manager Matheny. Basically the same team fielded last year sans the good hitting and pitching. So what's the problem?

Possibilities are:

1) They played better than they actually were last year (could be said about just about any WS team, e.g. Boston) and are regressing to their mean.

2) They and Matheny aren't dealing well with a WS hangover.

3) Nothing. They are a veteran team with plenty of talent, over .500, just 5 games out, and it is still early June. Don't bet against them.

4) Nothing part b - Cardinal fans have been spoiled for so long they get whiny when they are not up by 10 games on June 1st.

My take is that it is mostly 3 and 4, with a smidge of 1. My hope is that it is mostly 1 and 2 (with 4 a bit of a given).

Taveras is a nice player and all but he would be a 4th OF on the Brewers.

That's laughable, he has twice the ceiling of Davis. How about we let a player get settled in before declaring what he is or isn't?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Possibilities are:

1) They played better than they actually were last year (could be said about just about any WS team, e.g. Boston) and are regressing to their mean.

3) Nothing. They are a veteran team with plenty of talent, over .500, just 5 games out, and it is still early June. Don't bet against them.

4) Nothing part b - Cardinal fans have been spoiled for so long they get whiny when they are not up by 10 games on June 1st.

My take is that it is mostly 3 and 4, with a smidge of 1. My hope is that it is mostly 1 and 2 (with 4 a bit of a given).

I think there's a lot of 1 in it. The Cards blew away the record for hitting with RISP last year that's not repeatable.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/30/risp-cardinals-shattered-the-all-time-clutch-hitting-record/

Taveras is a nice player and all but he would be a 4th OF on the Brewers.

What exactly makes you believe that Taveras is just a "nice player," and wouldn't be as good as Khris Davis when the consensus among scouts is that he projects to be a #3 hitter who can hit .300 and hit 25-30 HR's while having the ability to play CF before ultimately moving over to RF because of his arm strengh.

How does Khris Davis, as nice a player as he's been, match up favorably to him?

I would take Taveras over Davis in a heartbeat as I believe would virtually every single major league exec, including Melvin.

At the VERY-VERY least he'd be a platoon player with Davis this year as a big left handed power bat who can hit for average. Taveras is a blue chip prospect with the ability to be an elite big leaguer. Davis is a nice player who might hit for some power, but he's not on the same level.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Possibilities are:

For what it's worth, I agree with your analysis Mad.

After NY, Boston, Anaheim, and LA, ESPN pays the most attention to the Cardinals.

I really, really don't care about teams other than the Brewers. The Brewers had a rags-to-riches story recently and nobody cared.

The coverage, or lack thereof, the Brewers get from ESPN is ridiculous. The only time they talk about us is when something bad happens or we lose. When we win a game and you go to the MLB page on ESPN's website you won't find a thing about the game unless a starter gets hurt. You have to click on Scores near the top of the page and look there for anything about the game. I'm surprised they have us in the top 5 in their power rankings, frankly.

Pugger I have no idea how the power rankings are figured. But you are correct that the Brews seem to have dropped out of sight on ESPN and CBS Sports, and less mention on MLBTV.

The Cubbies are making a move to overtake Cincy for 4th. Votto's return did not help them last night. The 1st 4 teams in the NLC are all 5-5 in the last 10. Chicago is 7-3. I'm pulling hard for them to move up. (just not too far)

The highly touted Polanco got a sharp hit in his 2nd AB for the Bucs last night but it wasn't enough. And Liriano was placed on the 15 day DL

After sinking to .500 the Cardinal pitching has had 3 straight shutouts on the road. They were out-pitched last night, and out-hit 8-3 but a solo HR was all they needed. The Rays have not scored a run for 30+ innings. Wacha, who has not been stellar will try to add to that tonight.

I must admit that my respect for the Reds and Pirates is starting to wane. I can't see either doing better than 3rd at this point.

This just in: Elbow stiffness prompted an MRI today on Wainwright.

This just in: Elbow stiffness prompted an MRI today on Wainwright.

Yikes

Hope it's nothing serious. The way thing are going this year you'd think there's a virus out there that attacks elbow tendons.

Well, the medical report said no structural damage. The GM is calling it tennis elbow. Card fans know that you can't rely on the Med staff. They surely must have all graduated from the Haiti school of Medicinal Voodoo.

It's pretty certain that Waino will miss a start or two. It's anybody's guess who will replace him.

On Taveras: with the return of Matt Adams on Friday Oscar is toast and will return to memphis. Jon Jay has been hitting like a madman since OT came up. ( Tavares is at .197)

Hope it's nothing serious. The way thing are going this year you'd think there's a virus out there that attacks elbow tendons.

Well, the medical report said no structural damage. The GM is calling it tennis elbow. Card fans know that you can't rely on the Med staff. They surely must have all graduated from the Haiti school of Medicinal Voodoo.

So the Card's staff is that way too. Thornburg was just diagnosed with common wrist flexor irritation. I think that is code for amputation in 3 weeks.

So the Card's staff is that way too. Thornburg was just diagnosed with common wrist flexor irritation. I think that is code for amputation in 3 weeks.

:laughing :laughing :laughing

But I would pit our crummy Med Staff against your crummy Med staff any day of the week! The condition pictured here was originally diagnosed as "Excessive lying to the press-winking-eye"

Atlanta.. 35 31 .530 -

Nats...... 35 31 .530 -

Cards.... 35 32 .522 -

Dodgers 36 33 .522 -

Miami.... 34 32 .515 ½

Pirates.... 33 34 .493 2

Cincinnati 32 34 .485 2½

Colorado. 32 35 .478 3

Surprising to see Miami still in the thick of things. It looks like the Reds are making a run at it...won 3 straight and Votto, Latos are back, Chapman returning to form.

Oscar Taveras' 2 week cup of coffee is over. Adams back, OT down to Memphis.

• 3 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Since April 29th (a span of almost 2 months), 4 of the 6 best records in the NL are from teams in the central.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/standings.cgi?date=2014-04-29

Check out the "standings from this date" and look at the NL Overall. Even the Cubs are a 'not bad' 26 - 29 since that date. The NL Central is playing some REALLY good ball.

The way the Giants have been playing, the central might be looking at 2 wild cards again, not 0.

Since April 29th (a span of almost 2 months), 4 of the 6 best records in the NL are from teams in the central.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/standings.cgi?date=2014-04-29

Check out the "standings from this date" and look at the NL Overall. Even the Cubs are a 'not bad' 26 - 29 since that date. The NL Central is playing some REALLY good ball.

The way the Giants have been playing, the central might be looking at 2 wild cards again, not 0.

It IS a bit more encouraging now. We're better than the Braves and Nats (who are losing to the Cubs as I type) but I don't believe there's even a China-man's chance we send THREE again. SF will feast on the Rockies and stay in it all the way I think.

SF Giants. 47 38 -

Natinals... 46 38 -

St. Louis.. 46 40 1

Pittsburgh 44 41 2½

Cincinnati 43 41 3

Miami...... 41 44 5½

San Diego 38 47 8½

CUBS*.... 37 46 8½

N.Y. Mets. 37 48 9½

*Looks like they will pass SD and the Fish soon. ;)

So much for the Cubs passing anyone now. I feel sorry for them. They were on the way up. But Colorado has went from the winningest team in the NL to being completely out of even the WC picture.

The Giants are floundering as well. (2-8 in the last 10) Now I'm not saying that they won't make the post season. Every team has it's down times. It's the Reds that are kind of scary. Hamilton has had a real impact on that team.

I know Lucroy is a tremendous hitter, but how's his arm? Can he control Hamilton?

So much for the Cubs passing anyone now. I feel sorry for them. They were on the way up. But Colorado has went from the winningest team in the NL to being completely out of even the WC picture.

The Giants are floundering as well. (2-8 in the last 10) Now I'm not saying that they won't make the post season. Every team has it's down times. It's the Reds that are kind of scary. Hamilton has had a real impact on that team.

I know Lucroy is a tremendous hitter, but how's his arm? Can he control Hamilton?

It's not Lucroy's arm that's the problem at controlling Hamilton, it's Milw's Pitchers that don't hold base runners all to well from getting good jumps. The best defense against Hamilton's havoc on the basepath potential? Just keep him off the basepaths and get him out at the plate.

As far as topic goes, I believe there's a wild card for the Central. I don't believe in the Giants, the Dodgers are likely going to beat up on them, as well as Milwaukee when we face them. And Atl/Wash one will beat up the other. Offensively, both teams just don't have it to really go on a stretch of long winning streaks.(of Course as I write Atl is on a 9game winning streak and I wouldn't be surprised if it went nearly to 20games based on the opponents they are facing in this stretch!)

I just feel Milw+St Louis or Cincy>than Atl/Wash or LA/SF Don't forget the Cubs just sold out their two best pitchers and that likely results in a .800 win pct for all the NL Central teams vs. the Cubs the rest of the way. Cake-Walk wins.

I just feel Milw+St Louis or Cincy>than Atl/Wash or LA/SF Don't forget the Cubs just sold out their two best pitchers and that likely results in a .800 win pct for all the NL Central teams vs. the Cubs the rest of the way. Cake-Walk wins.

Afraid so. Cincy will likely be the 1st to abuse them today AND tonite.

As discussed yesterday by Brewcrewdue80, the Reds were indeed to first to profit from the Cubs by sweeping the double header, coming from behind dramatically in game 2. That Hamilton kid trumps Polanco, Wong or any other rookie you can name in either league.

http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/30/32/01/6398051/3/628x471.jpg

Jose Abreu of the White Sox is having a better rookie season.
He must be some player then! I see him on the highlights but otherwise I'm unfamiliar.

On the Reds: sure enough they gained ground on ALL seven NL post season contenders last night. Pretty scary. That's really hard to do. Surely the Cubs can get one tonight...........NOT! :rolleyes

As discussed yesterday by Brewcrewdue80, the Reds were indeed to first to profit from the Cubs by sweeping the double header, coming from behind dramatically in game 2. That Hamilton kid trumps Polanco, Wong or any other rookie you can name in either league.

http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/30/32/01/6398051/3/628x471.jpg

He's exciting, but there are quite a few guys I'd take over him. Tanaka and Abreu being the obvious choices. I certainly would rather have Polanco for the next 6 years, though this year Hamilton might...MIGHT have a bigger impact. Springer and Ventura from KC have also been pretty impressive as has Owings from AZ.

If Hamilton can keep getting on base though, he really creates all kinda of problems. I think he might pop a bit more because of how incredible his speed is. I don't know how good of a SS he was, but with his speed, even if he was a plus defender at SS, his speed plays so well in CF that he's one of those rare guys who's defense might be even more valuable in CF than at SS.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Jose Abreu of the White Sox is having a better rookie season.
He must be some player then! I see him on the highlights but otherwise I'm unfamiliar.

On the Reds: sure enough they gained ground on ALL seven NL post season contenders last night. Pretty scary. That's really hard to do. Surely the Cubs can get one tonight...........NOT! :rolleyes

Abreu has 26 hrs as a rookie

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Archived