Brewer Fanatic

With Ben Revere apparently falling out of favor in Philadelphia, would he be a fit for LF in the event Davis continues to struggle over the next month or so? While Revere has absolutely zero power and doesn't have gap power as evidenced by his lack of XBH (47 in 1443 career ABs), he does sport a career AVG of .283 and OBP of .320 and has stolen 108 bases in 379 career games.

A change of scenery deal of Schafer for Revere comes to mind. I am not sure I would do it, but sticking a speedy LH with a good AVG and decent OBP guy may be intriguing.

I feel like that'd just mean Roenicke would bat this .320 OBP guy leadoff because he's fast. I'd also prefer the upgrade in LF to be more offense-oriented. I don't dislike the idea of Revere, but our need isn't in CF... if it were, I think I'd really like him as a target... dude can go get the baseball, holy cow.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

No interest at all. Especially for a corner outfield spot.

The previous two years he's hit ~.300/.335...albeit with little power.

Who cares if it's for a corner OF spot if it's for Logan Schafer as has been suggested? Would you feel better moving Gomez to LF and putting Revere in CF so their power numbers match up with their positions better? Revere can also steal a lot of bases. If he really could come cheap, I'd happily insert him into the #2 hole in our lineup.

The same argument came up in the Weeks to LF thread when someone said, "if Weeks won't move, why not move Gennett," and the argument was that Gennett shouldn't play LF because he doesn't hit for enough power. You can sacrifice power or the expected level of offense at the traditional offensive positions if you're getting it from CF, C or other places you normally don't get it from.

He's Scooter Gennett in outfield form, with some speed. Not worth it.

Not worth what? Logan Schafer? That's the only name that's been thrown around on here.

I feel like that'd just mean Roenicke would bat this .320 OBP guy leadoff because he's fast.

Revere's OBP in 2012 and 2013 was .335. That's higher than everyone but Lucroy(.395), Gomez(.374) and Braun(.333) from this years regulars. I think he would stick with Gomez hitting leadoff, but given our lineup, he'd be fine hitting 2nd.

I would also like a bigger bat out there in LF, but if Revere is cheap...he'd be a nice fit. He's the type of guy where I think people can overvalue OPS a bit. He hits for a pretty good average and he steals bases. And he'd be a very good defender in LF.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

The Kansas City Royals should be a prime example of why good batting averages, zero power, and a decent OBP (or worse) is not a way to succeed. I'm OK with putting in a singles-only hitter here and there if we have no choice, but it's not something I'd actively acquire.

If Schafer played every day he'd put up the same numbers that Revere puts up. Prolly better; Schafer put up better OPS numbers in the minors than Revere at every level. Schafer hit more HRs in Brevard County in 113 games in 2011 than Revere has hit in his entire career at every level combined.

If Schafer played every day he'd put up the same numbers that Revere puts up. Prolly better; Schafer put up better OPS numbers in the minors than Revere at every level. Schafer hit more HRs in Brevard County in 113 games in 2011 than Revere has hit in his entire career at every level combined.

Yeah, and Revere was better in almost ever aspect of his minor league career putting up a .326/.383 BA/OBP line in the minors. He also stole 160 bags in ~400 games. His big leaguer career also started at age 22, while Schafer had almost an identical OPS in the minors(while being much older) and a much lower BA/OBP.

If it's honestly Revere for Schafer, the only argument in Schafer's favor is he hit more HR's in the minor leagues. Not exactly a super strong argument to keep him. I like/liked Schafer, but he's going to be 28. So I'd sacrifice a little pop for someone who can hit for a decent average given this particular teams makeup.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

If you get revere, do you have Braun go back to LF? Ryan's been OK in right but certainly hasn't been great and revere is the better fielder. Davis has more power but revere would score more runs. Khris for Ben?

Lots of young players press, thinking they have to hit right away to stay in the lineup and not get sent back down. I think Davis is feeling more comfortable and more assured that the job is his, making him feel more comfortable at the plate. No one is saying Davis is a .900 OPS player, but he had a ~.375 OBP in AA & AAA combined, so he could realistically be a .335 OBP + .465 SLG = .800 OPS player.

Davis has picked it up considerably in the last week. No way they pull the plug on him now.

...And I am glad that he has even though I brought the Revere potential up. Davis is the best option as he is the internal option that doesn't cost us anything. If Davis can simply be a .260/.330/.450 hitter, he can be a starter in the OF for the next 4-5 seasons.

Davis appears to be a guy who's just plain streaky. I can live with that from the 6-7 hitter in the lineup if he slugs over .450 with 25 HR and 75 or so RBI out of the 6th or 7th spot. His production should mirror what Corey Hart gave them. I think defensively he's been better than advertised too. His arm is weak but it's not all that bad.

Archived