Brewer Fanatic

Darryl Hamilton in the radio booth

Invader3K
Who, on the other hand, is the stiff I heard tonight, solo play-by-play guy, sounds like maybe an older white dude? Actually what he sounds is nearly catatonic. I don't think I've ever heard an announcer call plays on quaaludes before, but I really hope for his sake that's what was happening here.

I really liked Hamilton. His voice sounds smooth on the radio and he gives great insights into the thinking of a baseball player. There were two instances that really stood out. He said there was no way the pitcher would throw Lucroy a fastball with two outs and a runner on 2nd. He said Lucroy should realize this and sit off-speed. The next pitch Lucroy hit the slider for an RBI single. Two nights later Uggla was pitch hitting and got to a full count. Hamilton said everyone in the place knew he was sitting dead red so the Brewer pitcher should throw anything off-speed. Uggla was able to get a hit from the fastball that came later.

I don't recall any particular instances like you have here, but just in general he really does a good job of articulating his baseball knowledge.

And he might have started out a little rough, but I think he's been pretty good. And he's kinda funny.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Verified Member
I've been reading the love fest and have been trying to get on board but I find the tandem awful. I listen to a lot of games on the radio because I work evenings. Hamilton was interesting at first but he's starting to be a broken record with his insight. Same stories night after night (and he's not on often). I just find Block to be insufferably boring. I can't stand this duo. I might tape them and play it back when I can't sleep.

I've listened to the last three games on the radio and I'm sort of mixed on Hamilton. He's sort of like a "Rock" for the radio booth only less gushy about Wisconsin and the Brewers and slightly more analytical. He's an older school baseball guy, which is I think brings good and bad.

I like when he talks straight from his baseball experience and when he brings out the stories from his past. I like that he can talk OG Brewers baseball. I like that he brings the hitters/fielders mindset when he analyzes any particular play. I like that he has on occasion forced Joe to have an actual personality instead of just being a monotone play-by-play guy.

What I didn't like is that he seems very fresh in the booth. I don't know what his radio experience is previously, but he comes off as not being entirely comfortable with radio. He's stumbled over some reads, blocked the occasional play-by-play call, and given off a "what does this button do" vibe. The other thing I don't like about Darryl is that he can be a little too old school, specifically about certain stats. I really wish I could remember specific examples, but there were a few times I looked at my radio and thought "did he just say that"?

I love Rock, so there is definitely hope for me warming up to Darryl. The biggest take-away I got from the last 3 games I listened to was that I just NEED to have Uecker. I was listening to Joe Block do a live read for some product, and I sat there and considered how great Uecker's live reads are. Uecker shills a lot of products over the radio for WTMJ, and I've never once doubted the greatness of those products.

I like Hamilton and I think Block is better when he actually has someone to work with doing the game. I've caught 4 games now Hamilton in the booth and he hasn't turned me off.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Now that I'm back in GB I can hear the radio broadcasts and I was wondering who that was at first on the broadcasts. I take it Uecker only does home games now? How old is Uecker and how much longer will he call games?

That being said, Joe Block bores me.

I suggest you have a listen to Block and Hamilton together in the booth, as I previously had exactly the same opinion of Block. I still don't think he's really special or anything, but I find him 100x more enjoyable with Hamilton to banter with. He has more personality, less dry, funnier, just feels much more comfortable than when he has to run a solo show. I hope the day that Ueck is no longer on the call is a long ways away, but for the first time since Block took over I feel we perhaps have a worthy heir (or two) apparent.

I am not Shea Vucinich

A bit off topic, but did anybody else here the half inning with Seth Meyers on Friday night? It seemed like they could have handled it a bit better and I also wonder if Meyers was hoping to meet Ueck. It really didn't seem like he was pimping anything and I don't think his show needs a half inning on the Crew Network.

But I do agree with some that Block sounds much more relaxed and more "animated" with DH.

Archived