Brewer Fanatic

Darryl Hamilton in the radio booth

Invader3K

Like him a lot. He adds plenty.

He tells some pretty good stories and I think he has a much better rapport with Joe Block than Uecker does.

The thing is Uecker works play by play alone. Scully is the only other guy I know that works that way. So whoever is the secondary guy basically does too. Powell and Provus were very adept at it. Block is not. He clearly benefits from a color commentator who knows the inside of the game to converse with. The fans benefit too.

After the downer games on Monday and Tuesday, I was actually reluctant to tune in last night, but I chose the radio because I am much better at multi-tasking with radio than with TV. I liked Darryl in the booth, and particularly the Joe-Darryl interaction. I think it helps that they're closer in age.

I won't go so far as to say I'm looking forward to the post-Uecker era, but based on last night's sample, I'm OK with Block and Hamilton.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

you guys think Block will still be here when Uecker retires?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

you guys think Block will still be here when Uecker retires?

Hard to say. Uecker is probably going to be around until he either physically can't do it anymore, or he passes on to the big ballpark in the sky. The past few years have shown that his sidemen will take another opportunity if it comes along (and I don't blame them for that at all). Some other team could come calling on Block and offer to make him their number one guy, and he'll probably take it.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I think Uecker has another 5-ish years. I can't imagine someone stealing Block in that time. He just doesn't do anything spectacular enough like Hughes, Powell and Provus to warrant another team stealing him. Block is just a guy and most teams have those guys in their employ already. Why steal Block?

I think we have seen from Nelson last year and Hamilton this year that Block is much better when paired with somebody else. Hamilton and Nelson may not be great but it would be great if one of them was paired with Block all the time.

I think Hamilton gives great insight. for example he was talking about how Schafer needs to approach hitting. He mentioned with his speed Schafer needs to learn to stop elevating balls and that would determine whether he sticks in the majors or not. Shortly after Schafer popped up.

He knew what he was talking about and tactfully criticized him for his current approach. He was both accurate and diplomatic in his assessment. I learned something as a fan listening and never felt like he was dogging the player. Just mentioned what he needed to do and let the play determine the wisdom of it.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Verified Member

I like Hamilton on MLB Network. He's easy to listen to and understand. I should catch a radio broadcast sometime to see what he does there.

That being said, Joe Block bores me. I hope when Uecker moves on they pull in a guy like Lepay, Provus or Powell. Lepay would be tough given his Badgers schedule so September would need fill-ins. I don't know if they'd rob another team of Provus or Powell though. I know they had to enjoy their time here, but time will tell. I dread the day Bob is gone for good.

Posted this on the IGT (this is a better place for it, hadn't seen the topic)...looks like the view isn't as different as I had thought...

"I'm going to go a little contrarian here...

I actually like Hamilton and Block on the radio. It's a big difference from Ueck and nothing will ever really live up to him, but Hamilton makes a good sub. I've also never been a Block fan. He just can't carry the air on his own. He does however do a better job in the traditional PbP/Color team format versus the turns he takes with Bob. Makes me think Block is just a bad fit for the Brewers while Bob is still around, but he's probably a better announcer than I've given him credit for."

I heard Hamilton tonight for the first time and liked him a lot. I think his voice really sounds like it fits radio really well, and he offers some pretty interesting analysis. Hope that he continues to help out in the booth as needed.

Hamilton is going to be alternating with Craig Counsell in that role. I heard Joe and Craig doing a spring training game, and I thought they were good together.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I think Hamilton gives great insight. for example he was talking about how Schafer needs to approach hitting. He mentioned with his speed Schafer needs to learn to stop elevating balls and that would determine whether he sticks in the majors or not. Shortly after Schafer popped up.

"With your speed, you should be hitting the ball on the ground and be legging them out. Everytime I see you hit one in the air, you owe me 20 push-ups."

I really liked Hamilton. His voice sounds smooth on the radio and he gives great insights into the thinking of a baseball player. There were two instances that really stood out. He said there was no way the pitcher would throw Lucroy a fastball with two outs and a runner on 2nd. He said Lucroy should realize this and sit off-speed. The next pitch Lucroy hit the slider for an RBI single. Two nights later Uggla was pitch hitting and got to a full count. Hamilton said everyone in the place knew he was sitting dead red so the Brewer pitcher should throw anything off-speed. Uggla was able to get a hit from the fastball that came later.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I'm liking the Hamilton/Block tandem the more I listen. Block sounds so much more comfortable and natural when he has a second person to interact with throughout the game. Hamilton is doing a good job keeping the flow in the announce booth going. He tells good stories and I think relates to the players on the field, which brings a new dynamic to the radio broadcasts.

Would it be crazy for them to somehow keep Hamilton around and go with a three man team from now on? I know it probably can't happen this season because of Hamilton's MLB Network gig, but I hope it's something they maybe think about for the future.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived