Brewer Fanatic

Wang. Overbay. Bianchi. Herrera.

The stache
As for Wang, the team record now isn't proof that they were right in keeping him.

Please tell me I'm not the only one seeing the incredible irony in this.

The Brewers have a .593 regular season winning percentage with Betancourt not just on the roster but the starting SS.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=29536&start=120

That right there is funny stuff.

I like this one.

Way too much is being made of very small samples.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As for Wang, the team record now isn't proof that they were right in keeping him.

The Brewers have a .593 regular season winning percentage with Betancourt not just on the roster but the starting SS.

I'm glad I saw this post because I almost hit quote as soon as I read what Briggs posted. The contradictions here may make one's head explode.

I would just like to add that Jeff Bianchi is freaking terrible. Priority #1 for Melvin has to be finding a competent backup infielder.

No need to be choosey; most incompetent backup infielders are better than Bianchi. :laughing

Bianchi just confuses me. I would have thought his peak should be THIS YEAR and NEXT YEAR. This magical age 27 season (as peak). Maybe that is for an average player. And a below average player peaks at 25-26. And a great player at 28-29. Just a thought and a guess and who knows.

Bianchi is a career AAAA guy. good enough everyday in AAA to get called up, but not good enough to stick in MLB.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I'm glad I saw this post because I almost hit quote as soon as I read what Briggs posted. The contradictions here may make one's head explode.

Betancourt actually contributed on the field that season. He drove in 68 runs, led the league in sacrifice flies, and posted an .826 OPS in the postseason with 6 RBI. Was he great? No. But he manned a key position and the team still won 96 games and offensively in the second half in particular, he helped them win.

What has Wang contributed to them winning at a .610 rate so far? Zip, zero, zilch.

Betancourt actually contributed on the field that season. He drove in 68 runs, led the league in sacrifice flies, and posted an .826 OPS in the postseason with 6 RBI. Was he great? No. But he manned a key position and the team still won 96 games and offensively in the second half in particular, he helped them win.

What has Wang contributed to them winning at a .610 rate so far? Zip, zero, zilch.

Many would argue, and probably be correct, that Yuni's "contributions" were a negative to the team. Driving in 68 runs, irrelevant. Led the league in sac fly's, big deal. "Manned" a key position, not really.

And to answer your question, What has Wang contributed to them losing at a .390 rate so far? Zip, zero, zilch.

I was bouncing around looking at splits while I was waiting for a backup to finish this morning and found this interesting:

Wei-Chung Wang

[pre]I Split W L W-L% ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF WHIP SO9 SO/W

Home 0 0 1.93 8 0 6 0 0 0 9.1 9 4 2 0 2 0 7 0 0 0 40 1.179 6.8 3.50

Away 0 0 22.95 4 0 2 0 0 0 6.2 20 17 17 5 5 1 5 1 0 1 46 3.750 6.8 1.00[/pre]

Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table

Generated 7/9/2014.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Wang last two apperance have not been bad and maybe he see some innings in July and August

When you factor in that he's a kid that should be in A ball, they've been outstanding. His change looked really-really good last night.

I'm not real encouraged by his FB velocity, but that very well could be the result of not pitching regularly and not really building up his arm strength (doubt it, but hopefully).

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Wang last two apperance have not been bad and maybe he see some innings in July and August

When you factor in that he's a kid that should be in A ball, they've been outstanding. His change looked really-really good last night.

I'm not real encouraged by his FB velocity, but that very well could be the result of not pitching regularly and not really building up his arm strength (doubt it, but hopefully).

Given that sometimes position players come into games and breeze through an inning, you can't put much stock in a clean inning here and there. Almost any arm in A ball could accomplish that on occasion. Still he passed a small hurdle in the first situation that actually had some meaning. Good for him. I still don't agree with the philosophy of rule 5 draft and stash and until it actually works and somebody taken in that situation goes on to have a decent major league career count me as a skeptic. I still watch Wang and see Matt Ford and Enrique Cruz.

I still don't agree with the philosophy of rule 5 draft and stash and until it actually works and somebody taken in that situation goes on to have a decent major league career...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/how-to-make-the-rule-5-draft-matter-again/

Johan Santana, Josh Hamilton, Dan Uggla, Joakim Soria, and Everth Cabrera were all Rule 5 "success stories."

Most teams don't want to "waste" a roster spot on a guy who probably isn't MLB ready, so few players make it through a full season after being selected. I don't really like the rule, as I don't think it helps the player from a development standpoint, but it can be successful. I don't put much into how Wang does this year, as he's not pitching much, and he has to feel overwhelmed in his current situation. Not only is he thrown into the majors too soon, but he's not even playing in his home country, or even a country in which most people speak his language.

If the Brewers see enough in him to keep him on the roster, then he has to have something going for him.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I don't really like the rule, as I don't think it helps the player from a development standpoint, but it can be successful.

I thought the article you posted was on target with some of their suggestions. I like the idea of it but not how it is currently set up. I think if done right it helps good prospects advance their careers and helps teams who are rebuilding get rebuilt faster. Much like the pre-free agency era allowed teams to hoard players, the way rule 5 is set up now helps the deep farms hoard too many prospects. (though I reserve the right to change my mind when the Brewers have that problem again) :laughing

The major problem I have with it now is I think it penalizes the player to much. What makes it worse is that they are the only ones who didn't have a choice in the matter.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

It was setup to keep teams from hoarding players. Guys who had 4+ years in the minors but were not good enough to make a big league team. I think the problem is when you run into goofy problems like what happened with Wang. There should still be pre40 man roster years even if a player has his contract voided. I don't think the Rule V draft is the problem.

I blame Wang.

Given that sometimes position players come into games and breeze through an inning, you can't put much stock in a clean inning here and there. Almost any arm in A ball could accomplish that on occasion. Still he passed a small hurdle in the first situation that actually had some meaning. Good for him. I still don't agree with the philosophy of rule 5 draft and stash and until it actually works and somebody taken in that situation goes on to have a decent major league career count me as a skeptic. I still watch Wang and see Matt Ford and Enrique Cruz.

Where did I say I was putting a lot of stock into the fact that he had a clean inning last night? I said his fastball looked very good for a younger player. And position players seldom come into a close game and they almost never "breeze," through innings. He's given up 15 ER's in 3.2 IP this year and 4 ER's in the other 12 1/3 IP. So I think it's pretty disingenuous to try and compare that to Lyle Overbay coming in and pitching a third of an inning.

All this though is entirely beside the point since my comment had to do with how his pitches looked, not the box score, an assumption you apparently made. His change up looked really good last night at times and his FB velocity was less than I would hope for, although he placed it well.

Another assumption is that you will remain skeptical until a rule 5 draftee actually has a successful career.

Johan Santana-5 straight years in the top 5 in Cy Young voting, a 2.90 ERA over roughly 1800 innings from ages 23 to 31 would seem to be a success.

Josh Hamilton was a League MVP. I'd call that a win. Roberto Clemente? Bobby Bonilla? Jose Bautista? George Bell? I'd say there are examples of rule 5 picks working out just fine.

Of course I'm not sure how any of those players or Cruz or Ford relate to Wang who is his own individual case. But dismissing the rule 5 draft entirely is like saying we might as well not draft anyone past the 5th round because very few of them work out.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

It was setup to keep teams from hoarding players. Guys who had 4+ years in the minors but were not good enough to make a big league team. I think the problem is when you run into goofy problems like what happened with Wang. There should still be pre40 man roster years even if a player has his contract voided. I don't think the Rule V draft is the problem.

It is a flaw is the system for sure. Which is probably why Melvin took advantage of it. If you can get a guy in the system for what it cost the Brewers so far I think it's pretty much a no brainer. That said they should address that flaw.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

It is a flaw is the system for sure. Which is probably why Melvin took advantage of it. If you can get a guy in the system for what it cost the Brewers so far I think it's pretty much a no brainer. That said they should address that flaw.

There is a minor league part of the draft as well. I think practically every team would have taken Wang if he got that far. Bottom line is they should probably make a change to how voided minor league contracts are handled.

I blame Wang.

Archived