Brewer Fanatic

Trade partner - Tampa Bay Rays [Latest -- rumored ask for David Price: Nelson, Thornburg, & Coulter (post #94)]

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Again. Can Price put up 4-5 runs a night? Pitching isnt the issue.

The difference between Prince and Nelson is huge. That would be a huge upgrade getting a bonafied ace. Our offense is fine, though a half year rental 1B would be helpful. Looking into the playoffs and past this season having price will be huge.

Guys Nelson alone is only half of what we need in the starting rotation. Lohse and Gallardo could both be leaving within th next 1.5 years basically very soon. Trading price would net us 2 Nelsons in the off-season if we trade him to a big market club, because I can guarantee you with all the money in baseball, team who controls a player like Price can blow him away with a FA offer prior to FA. Players aren't going to reach FA like they used to.

That would be a very smart move on DM's part; especially with Hellweg not living up to expectations and blowing up in the majors. Who do we have left? No one solid, and we got to fix that and Price could be a BIG trade chip this off-season, and we'd have the leverage since teams know we are a WS contender with him, so the "have to" trade him part isn't there for other teams to use. So many reasons to get price it's laughible.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Trading price would net us 2 Nelsons in the off-season if we trade him to a big market club, because I can guarantee you with all the money in baseball, team who controls a player like Price can blow him away with a FA offer prior to FA. Players aren't going to reach FA like they used to.

So many reasons to get price it's laughible.

Umm, why wouldn't the Rays just hold on to Price and compete the rest of the season. Then trade him for what you think will be a better return in the offseason?

The rays are 7 games back and are competing with 3 teams for the division who are all ahead of them. Just the fact that the Brewers have been mentioned with price and some players names have been thrown around tells me TB will trade Price. They are pretty serious about it. Very different rays than last off-season.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Trading price would net us 2 Nelsons in the off-season if we trade him to a big market club, because I can guarantee you with all the money in baseball, team who controls a player like Price can blow him away with a FA offer prior to FA. Players aren't going to reach FA like they used to.

So many reasons to get price it's laughible.

Umm, why wouldn't the Rays just hold on to Price and compete the rest of the season. Then trade him for what you think will be a better return in the offseason?

they would look desperate, because they aren't contenders when you compare them to the 3 teams above them. They won't have the leverage the Brewers will have.

The Rays made the playoffs last year. Moore and Myers should be healthy next year. To say they're not contenders next year is premature.

I find the argument that the Brewers this offseason will somehow be able to get a better package of prospects for Price than the Rays would trading him in the offseason laughAble.

I don't understand what the big deal is with Jimmy Nelson. He's a nice prospect, but that's it. He doesn't project to be an ace. At best he's a #3 pitcher. Those can be replaced easily. It's not like the Brewers would be giving up the next Kershaw or Scherzer. Nelson isn't going to win a World Series for the Brewers. David Price and Jon Lester on the other hand can win a World Series for the Brewers. Nelson is 25 and has control issues. He spent several years in minors and still hasn't been able to master his control at a level efficient enough to make me think he could be an ace. Anyways with the exception of Gallardo and Sheets, when was the last time a Brewers pitching prospect panned out? Melvin hasn't been very good with pitchers. What if Nelson ends up being a flop and the Brewers missed out on Price or Lester just because they held on to Nelson?

I'm not worried about what the team will look like in 3 or 4 years. For all we know a plague could strike the clubhouse and wipe out the entire team. The team needs to worry about right now. Right now they are in 1st place and they have a good shot at making the playoffs and making a deep run. Do what is necessary to push this team over the edge whether it means trading for an ace or a good hitter like Napoli. The Nelsons, Thornburgs, and Coulters of the world can be replaced. David Prices and Jon Lesters don't grow on trees.

The Rays made the playoffs last year. Moore and Myers should be healthy next year. To say they're not contenders next year is premature.

I find the argument that the Brewers this offseason will somehow be able to get a better package of prospects for Price than the Rays would trading him in the offseason laughAble.

You know if you combine coulters value and Thornburg's vale together you get 2 top SP prospects when added with Nelson, right? Which btw is exactly what the Brewers need.

I don't understand what the big deal is with Jimmy Nelson. He's a nice prospect, but that's it. He doesn't project to be an ace. At best he's a #3 pitcher. Those can be replaced easily. It's not like the Brewers would be giving up the next Kershaw or Scherzer. Nelson isn't going to win a World Series for the Brewers. David Price and Jon Lester on the other hand can win a World Series for the Brewers. Nelson is 25 and has control issues. He spent several years in minors and still hasn't been able to master his control at a level efficient enough to make me think he could be an ace. Anyways with the exception of Gallardo and Sheets, when was the last time a Brewers pitching prospect panned out? Melvin hasn't been very good with pitchers. What if Nelson ends up being a flop and the Brewers missed out on Price or Lester just because they held on to Nelson?

I'm not worried about what the team will look like in 3 or 4 years. For all we know a plague could strike the clubhouse and wipe out the entire team. The team needs to worry about right now. Right now they are in 1st place and they have a good shot at making the playoffs and making a deep run. Do what is necessary to push this team over the edge whether it means trading for an ace or a good hitter like Napoli. The Nelsons, Thornburgs, and Coulters of the world can be replaced. David Prices and Jon Lesters don't grow on trees.

Exactly. Have you noticed that many of these prospects we have traded for Sabathia, Greinke, Marcum were pretty overhyped by many here and about half didn't turn out to be what they expected them to be, or developed very late?

You know if you combine coulters value and Thornburg's vale together you get 2 top SP prospects when added with Nelson, right? Which btw is exactly what the Brewers need.

So an injured reliever and an A ball catcher with a good looking bat, but questionable defense, will net you 2 top SP prospects?

AZ BREW IS CORRECT WE NEED BATS MORE THAN STARTING PITCHING.

The problem is the only position where an upgrade makes sense is 1B and the available names there aren't any better than what they have. Unless they were to suddenly move Braun to 1B and pick up a Byrd or a Rios, all they hope to do is find an upgrade to Schafer as bench bat and 4th OF.

The lineup is capable enough, it just needs to start taking better approaches.

We are making this an easy decision for the Rays by letting them continue their winning ways.

They have no motivation to trade Price unless they get blown away. Nelson, Coulter, and Thornburg doesn't blow them away. Nor should it.

The rays are 7 games back and are competing with 3 teams for the division who are all ahead of them. Just the fact that the Brewers have been mentioned with price and some players names have been thrown around tells me TB will trade Price. They are pretty serious about it. Very different rays than last off-season.

That first line doesn't nearly tell the whole story. They play in a division that is currently a lot weaker than ours and have stormed back in it by going 21-5 in July. If we were on that kind of run right now to get back in it, would you be aadvocating a fire sale? I'm guessing definitely not.

You can certainly tell not only by the way the teams have played over the last month or so, but by comparing the teams head-to-head in this series why the Rays should feel they have no chance while the Brewers should trade away the future for this season.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Exactly. Have you noticed that many of these prospects we have traded for Sabathia, Greinke, Marcum were pretty overhyped by many here and about half didn't turn out to be what they expected them to be, or developed very late?

The Brewers didn't trade any top major league ready starting pitching prospects to get Sabathia, or Marcum. Zach Jackson, Rob Bryson were throw-ins in the Sabathia deal. Jeffress had issues, and Odorizzi was still in A ball, and they were replaced by Pena and Hellweg a year later anyway. Nelson has stuff very similar to Peralta and he dominated AAA like no other starter at that level in baseball this season. Those guys do not come along often especially in Milwaukee. It's one thing to deal Nelson for two seasons of Price, the second of which you can deal him. Its another to deal him for a two month playoff run that they could still lose anyway, for a guy who won't even bring them a compensation pick when he leaves (unlike Sabathia).

After taking a few days to think about it, I am out on Price. Whether or not the Brewers make the playoffs is completely independent of acquiring the ace that Price is. The rotation as of today is better depth wise than most in the National League and should match up with anyone, save the ace of each of the Dodgers, Cardinals, Reds and Giants. After the ace though, I will take my chances with each of their #2s (Greinke, Lynn, Latos & Hudson) versus our #2 be it Peralta or Garza or Gallardo. Trading Nelson plus whatever other Brewer top end prospect to get Price will unlikely have a dramatic effect on our ability to reach the postseason if our offense continues to flounder.

The only caveat remains if one of the aforementioned teams acquires Price to be their #2 and then the Brewers would be in real trouble making the postseason let alone winning a series. Having said that, any realistic package the Brewers put together for Price could easily be topped by the Dodgers (Pederson & Seager) or the Cardinals (Taveras & Miller) so I won't be too upset when/if they acquire them.

At best he's a #3 pitcher. Those can be replaced easily.

1. I think he can be better than a 3.

2. Can he be easily replaced by someone else making the league minimum for 3 years?

After taking a few days to think about it, I am out on Price. Whether or not the Brewers make the playoffs is completely independent of acquiring the ace that Price is. The rotation as of today is better depth wise than most in the National League and should match up with anyone, save the ace of each of the Dodgers, Cardinals, Reds and Giants. After the ace though, I will take my chances with each of their #2s (Greinke, Lynn, Latos & Hudson) versus our #2 be it Peralta or Garza or Gallardo. Trading Nelson plus whatever other Brewer top end prospect to get Price will unlikely have a dramatic effect on our ability to reach the postseason if our offense continues to flounder.

The only caveat remains if one of the aforementioned teams acquires Price to be their #2 and then the Brewers would be in real trouble making the postseason let alone winning a series. Having said that, any realistic package the Brewers put together for Price could easily be topped by the Dodgers (Pederson & Seager) or the Cardinals (Taveras & Miller) so I won't be too upset when/if they acquire them.

Agreed, I like Lohse in any game against anyone. Sure he doesn't have dominant stuff, but i cant remember a game he was pitching where i didn't like the brewers chances regardless of the opposing pitcher. On top of that, I like our offenses history against the front line type guys. Roy Halladay and Cliff Lee are not fond of pitching to the brewers, its your journeyman guys that tend to give the brewers a hard time like brett meyers and jake westbrook.

The trade that I still think would have by far the greatest impact for this teams chances would be Justin Morneau. I know that it isnt the most popular idea, but he would be worth the reasonable prospect package it would take to get him for this team. Just one more regular capable left handed bat (with power to boot) would do wonders for the consistency of the offense. Mark Reynolds then slides into a far better role for his skill set.

How about Khris Davis, thornburg, Fiers, nuehaus, Pena, and Coulter for Morneau and Cargo?

Hmmm... we're beating David Price today. I thought that if we faced another team's ace we were automatically defeated. Seems like it might be possible to win game one of a playoff series after all.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Hmmm... we're beating David Price today. I thought that if we faced another team's ace we were automatically defeated. Seems like it might be possible to win game one of a playoff series after all.

^^This^^

Trading Nelson now would be the equivalent of the Brewers having traded Gallardo in July 2007. Both were 2nd round picks. Yes Nelson is 4 years older now than Gallardo was, but he was a pick out of college and needed some development time. True also that the rest of the rotation is better now than it was in 2007, but the team back then could have used a true ace too and ultimately the Cubs overtook them. Still having Gallardo from 08 until now has been a plus and he's been a key contributor on 2 playoff teams.

At best he's a #3 pitcher. Those can be replaced easily.

1. I think he can be better than a 3.

2. Can he be easily replaced by someone else making the league minimum for 3 years?

At this point he's a 5. There are hundreds of guys in baseball that are making league minimum for several years. Nelson has the potential to be a #3, but he hasn't reached it yet. For me that's not good enough. If the Brewers have a chance to pick up an elite and proven SP than do it. This is the important part of the year. The team's rivals are on the verge of improving big time. Brew Crew can't get left behind...

AZ BREW IS CORRECT WE NEED BATS MORE THAN STARTING PITCHING.

The problem is the only position where an upgrade makes sense is 1B and the available names there aren't any better than what they have. Unless they were to suddenly move Braun to 1B and pick up a Byrd or a Rios, all they hope to do is find an upgrade to Schafer as bench bat and 4th OF.

The lineup is capable enough, it just needs to start taking better approaches.

Carp is better than Overbay by a fair margin. That's who I'd like to see. He makes perfect sense for the Brewers.

On topic, I don't see the Rays trading Price and I definitely don't think he's coming here. We don't have the goods.

Archived