Brewer Fanatic

Trade partner - Tampa Bay Rays [Latest -- rumored ask for David Price: Nelson, Thornburg, & Coulter (post #94)]

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Nelson, Thornburg and Coulter would do it, but I'm not sure I would want to do it if I was the Brewers. I just don't know if it's worth it - it's a tough call.

I definitely wouldn't trade Khrush or Gennett. If they wanted one of them it would make the decision pretty easy, in my opinion.

I too would rather pick up Zobrist for a much lesser price.

The Crew can absolutely afford Price's monster arby salary next year but I would still be concerned about giving up Nelson. By the end of 2015 we would probably have to replace 3/5ths of our rotation and unless someone really starts developing in MILB no prospects to replace them with. I sure as hell wouldn't be interested in extending Gallardo or Lohse either. We would have less a chance of extending or resigning Price than we did with Sabathia.

I know a lot can change before we would need SP reinforcements in 2016; but the lack of upper tier SP in MILB would make ne nervous about trading Nelson. And unless they tank in 2015 which probably isn't likely its not like we are going to trade Price to improve that system either.

Cheap? I don't know about that. Nelson could be a really good one. He's young and might just be the work horse this team needs. Plus we control him for quite awhile. Then you throw in Thornburg who has shown he can be dominant and a big slugger. That's a steep price to pay for someone services of not even a year and a half. Plus we have to pay Price during that time.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

No way I give away 6 years of control of both James Nelson and Coulter. No way!! Unless M.A has a deal in place to pay Price and keep him hear for the foreseeable future, then stay away!!

Seconded...

Brewers have to think long term here. Nelson, Peralta & Garza look like a good start to a future rotation when Lohse and Yo are gone. What happens after 2015 when Price, Lohse and Yo are gone? Peralta and a 32 year old Garza is good but who fills out the rotation. If you could guarantee me Price, Peralta and Garza as the 1-2-3 for the next 3 years, I am in for dealing Nelson. Without that guarantee though, I am not sure this trade makes a ton of sense for the Brewers. I just don't like the idea of moving Nelson unless Price is re-signed to a long term deal immediately.

No way I give away 6 years of control of both James Nelson and Coulter. No way!! Unless M.A has a deal in place to pay Price and keep him hear for the foreseeable future, then stay away!!

Seconded....

Thirds! Count me out

I would rather keep Nelson myself as explained in the posts above BUT just as a counter argument we could have some very appealing trading chips in the 2015 offseason if Taylor and Arcia continue to progress. Those two as well as Segura, Khris Davis, even Gomez could be dangled for needed starting pitching. Melvin would also probably have a lot of salary flexibility to sign a SP as well if Gallardo, Lohse, Price, and Ramirez are all off the books by then.

If Nelson is mandatory I think Coulter is the guy I would want to trade out of the next tier (Coulter, Arcia, and Taylor) but everyone's opinion might be different on that. Coulter is definitely the power bat out of that group; but the other guys appear to possess more tools than Coulter.

Considering they could get about equal to that in the offseason. Its worth it.

That has not been how Melvin/Attanasio operate. I'm not into absolutes, but I'd say that if the Brewers trade for Price, there is absolutely no way they would trade him this offseason. Instead, they will exercise Gallardo and Ramirez's options, and possibly push the budget into the red in order to sign a mid-30's free agent 1B to a 3-4 year deal to go for it in 2015.

We would have less a chance of extending or resigning Price than we did with Sabathia.

Agreed. Love it or hate it, we would be playing for another "window" of the 2014 and 2015 seasons. This time, at the end of the window, we would lose Gallardo, Lohse, Ramirez, and Price. That might be a tough hole to fill. I've never been a big fan of this strategy, but I figure I either have to accept it or find another team to cheer for.

All that said, while I don't think I want to give up this rumored package, I still think it will be outbid by Seattle, St Louis or the Dodgers.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If Nelson is mandatory I think Coulter is the guy I would want to trade out of the next tier (Coulter, Arcia, and Taylor) but everyone's opinion might be different on that. Coulter is definitely the power bat out of that group; but the other guys appear to possess more tools than Coulter.

I'd probably pick Taylor just because we have other OF options. Coulter looks like either a catcher or 3B, and we could use depth at either of those positions. Ditto Arcia at SS.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think specific players being rumored so willfully off the Brewers has more to do with setting the bar that STL or Seattle needs to clear in order for the Rays to trade Price at all. It's kind of the generic "best MLB-ready pitching prospect, best young minor league power bat with some polish, and solid MLB arm that could easily start or excel in the bullpen".

The Rays hold all the cards right now, so they can and will demand a king's ransom for Price during the season. If they don't get what they want, they'll try to contend this season and then shop him this winter when all the big market teams that could offer Price a monster contract extension can get involved. A trade coupled with a contract extension in place would minimize the sting of dealing away young pitching/talent if they know they have a #1 starter locked up for 5-7 years anchoring their rotation.

I'm on the fence regarding the trade. I would be willing to jump off onto the go for it side if I knew the Brewers were upgrading the 1B spot also before the deadline. It seems to me if we are going for it, then truly go for it. We wouldn't need to help the bullpen as much if RR allows Price to pitch 8 innings with a 115-120 pitch count like the Rays have been doing.

Verified Member
Not that Nelson isn't valuable, but isn't his realistic ceiling basically a workhorse #3/4? I'd love to have 6 years of that kind of pitcher, but we're not trading a future ace here, and we would be getting 1.5 years of a legit ace. Honestly, we traded a much higher-upside prospect (at the time) in Brett Lawrie and that was just for boring Shaun Marcum. Coulter looks promising too but setting aside his impressive 2014, remember that he wasn't even deemed worthy of the BA Top 10 coming into this season. No brainer trade to me.

Not that Nelson isn't valuable, but isn't his realistic ceiling basically a workhorse #3/4? I'd love to have 6 years of that kind of pitcher, but we're not trading a future ace here, and we would be getting 1.5 years of a legit ace. Honestly, we traded a much higher-upside prospect (at the time) in Brett Lawrie and that was just for boring Shaun Marcum. Coulter looks promising too but setting aside his impressive 2014, remember that he wasn't even deemed worthy of the BA Top 10 coming into this season. No brainer trade to me.

Nelson was hitting 97 on occasion yesterday and working consistently at 94-95. His ceiling is pretty similar to Peralta's, at least a #2 with an outside shot at #1. Nelson's upside is quite high.

I'm on the fence regarding the trade. I would be willing to jump off onto the go for it side if I knew the Brewers were upgrading the 1B spot also before the deadline. It seems to me if we are going for it, then truly go for it. We wouldn't need to help the bullpen as much if RR allows Price to pitch 8 innings with a 115-120 pitch count like the Rays have been doing.

Teams can ask for anything they want, but we'll simply make a counter offer. If this is the asking price, I think we might get something done. I thought they'd ask for more. They seem serious about moving Price.

Would getting Carp and Price work for you?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Nelson isn't a future ace, and Thornburg isn't either--both are likely in the number three range. Coulter may be very good but not for quite a while yet. This is a great deal for the Brewers and I'd be shocked if no team topped it.

Nelson was hitting 97 on occasion yesterday and working consistently at 94-95. His ceiling is pretty similar to Peralta's, at least a #2 with an outside shot at #1. Nelson's upside is quite high.

Nelson is 25. He's very close to his ceiling already. I highly doubt he ever have the command to be an ace, he just isn't naturally coordinated. I like him, but he is what he is, which is likely Aaron Harang. That's impressive, but it's not David Price.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Its basically Tampa Bay' MO to trade guys and get something for them before they hit FA. They could get more for him know then they could in the offseason just because there will be 3 or 4 teams that think Price is going to win them the pennant. I definitely think he gets traded.

Melvin has done this 3 times before (Grienke, Sabathia, and Marcum) so it would be dumb to discount this rumor; but at least as of right now we are competing with teams that have more trading chips to work with. If we had a stud pitching prospect to look forward to in 2016 it might be different but as or right now we really don't unless Williams or Lopez really take a step forward soon. Lopez is getting there I think. That's the main reason I want to hang on to Nelson. If we could Jorge Lopez instead and make it a Lopez, Thornburg, and Coulter package (Plus maybe another guy in our 10-20 range) I would definitely do it

At this point, I'd think "#3/4 workhorse" is more Nelson's expected minimum, with the possibility of being a "low-end 1 / high-end 2." The guy has an upper 90's fastball with some decent secondary pitches. Not ace caliber, but still a top-of-the rotation potential. And, his first three years will cost around what David Price will make in about two starts next year.

Price is an ace, which is why he's going to demand a lot in return. The question is whether the marginal increase this year (the Brewers are in first place without him) plus next year (minus any correlating moves, such as possibly not being able to sign a first baseman or exercise Gallardo's option) is worth giving up six years of the prospects involved in the trade.

GMs often have a shorter-term perspective, because if the fans turn on them, they may not be around long-term. Therefore, GMs are often willing to trade away prospects in order to try to win now. From a pure value perspective, I think that Price is worth Nelson, Coulter and Thornburg. I just don't know that I want the Brewers to trade away that much in order to get him.

~Bill Walsh

Verified Member
The original rumor was that the players they are discussing are Nelson/Coulter/Thornburg, but I actually wonder if Milwaukee wouldn't be throwing in the competitive balance pick too. Otherwise seems like a low return giving the number of teams interested in Price.

This one is tough. It's about the only way to get Price. But Price, Garza, Lohse, Yo and #5 is pretty tough. Coulter is probably the one that makes me the most hesitant. Sure, if he sticks at catcher, he's blocked by Luc, and probably doesn't hit MLB for 2-3 years. And we've seen what happened with LaPorta, the hot hitting prospect that didn't have a position. I just don't know if the upside is worth it.

Archived