Brewer Fanatic

Trade partner - Tampa Bay Rays [Latest -- rumored ask for David Price: Nelson, Thornburg, & Coulter (post #94)]

I would trade Estrada and Kintzler for a good 1B man.

So would everyone. The problem is finding someone to trade us a good 1B for Estrada and Kintzler. I've been a big proponent of Estrada, but right now his trade value has to be around zero.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
StL is going to get Price, especially now with the Wacha/Kelly/Garcia injuries. If StL wants Price, there isn't a chance Milwaukee could make a better offer than StL. They just may up the ante trade Wong for Zobrist and improve their batting while they are at it. I really have this feeling that StL hates Milwaukee so much they will do anything to keep us from winning the division over them.

Actually the way I see it STL by the time a trade for Price will be made will be fighting for a WC spot and will be more that 8-9 games out of 1st. Just look at the 7 games they play prior to ALL start break. PIT has proven they can beat up on the Cards, and so have we.

Due to this I see the Cards looking more future this year than anything. They have to keep their farm system if they expect to be able to compete with us and the reds and Pitt in the many years ahead.

I would trade Nelson and the farm for Price. Look at it this way, we will have Hellweg still next season, and we just had a terrific draft that could make our farm way better than it is currently, all the positions in the line-up are filled for the long term with young players except 1B.

I'd trade the entire farm for price, and I would trade Estrada and Kintzler for a good 1B man. Have fires as the back up SP in Nashville and call up Jeffress, healthy Thornburg to the pen, then the Brewers would have just upgraded the Rotation with a true Ace, and the bullpen big time, and we can start thinking WS. That is if you haven't already.

Go all in for Price.

My reasoning that StL trades for Price is because A. They have the valuable prospects Tampa would at least ask for. B. since they are 6.5games back of Milw/at or near WC spot, adding Price would only secure a much more likely run the last 70games of the season or so to make the Playoffs.

C. StL will have Price next season (to go and win 110games)and then give him a QO which for how they draft means a top 100 Prospect after 1 year.

I really think Marco Gonzales is in St Louis' rotation right now as a showcase for Tampa to decide on for a Price trade. Thinking in lines that Trade A includes Martinez or Miller/Piscotty/Kaminsky Or trade B offers Taveras/Gonzales plus PTBNL C/B prospect depending on StL outcome for this season.

At the very least we will be upping STL offer big time with a bidding war of prospects. That will actually hurt there organization.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

At the half-way point, our Brewers have the best record in the NL. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying it. And I will enjoy the pennant chase the 2nd half of the year, regardless of what happens. For most of the last 30 years, a chance to make the playoffs was the exception, not the rule.

With that said, I can't help but look at other top teams, and without exception their rotation looks better- especially the 3 man playoff rotation. Nats, Braves, Cards, Cincy, Giants, Dodgers all fit that mold. Hate to be a downer, but just seems like it will be an uphill battle to win two series against those teams.

So, what would it take to get Price? Yo, Bradley, Morris, and pick a AA OF? Would that be enough do you think? I would do Yo and any combination of guys that aren't top level prospects. Heck, they can even have Roache.

In my opinion if you would need to offer 3 of Nelson, Coulter, Taylor, Arcia, and Williams and who here would really want to do that? The price is going to be way too high. Melvin can still improve the rotation but I think we need to set the bar a bit lower.

StL is going to get Price, especially now with the Wacha/Kelly/Garcia injuries. If StL wants Price, there isn't a chance Milwaukee could make a better offer than StL. They just may up the ante trade Wong for Zobrist and improve their batting while they are at it. I really have this feeling that StL hates Milwaukee so much they will do anything to keep us from winning the division over them.

Actually the way I see it STL by the time a trade for Price will be made will be fighting for a WC spot and will be more that 8-9 games out of 1st. Just look at the 7 games they play prior to ALL start break. PIT has proven they can beat up on the Cards, and so have we.

Due to this I see the Cards looking more future this year than anything. They have to keep their farm system if they expect to be able to compete with us and the reds and Pitt in the many years ahead.

I would trade Nelson and the farm for Price. Look at it this way, we will have Hellweg still next season, and we just had a terrific draft that could make our farm way better than it is currently, all the positions in the line-up are filled for the long term with young players except 1B.

I'd trade the entire farm for price, and I would trade Estrada and Kintzler for a good 1B man. Have fires as the back up SP in Nashville and call up Jeffress, healthy Thornburg to the pen, then the Brewers would have just upgraded the Rotation with a true Ace, and the bullpen big time, and we can start thinking WS. That is if you haven't already.

Go all in for Price.

We're 3-3 vs St Louis and we won two of those games in 11 and 12 innings. I don't think we've "proven," anything yet when it comes to them. And we haven't faced Wainwright yet. So I think we're a ways away from declaring we've proven anything regarding the defending NL Champs.

As for trading Nelson, I don't want to under almost any reasonable circumstance for a player that's not going to be here long term. And certainly not with the thought that having Johnny Hellweg coming back next year fills up a starters spot. Hellweg had almost a walk per inning in his brief time in the big leagues and it's pretty ugly in the minors as well. He's a guy you HOPE figures it out. If he becomes the type of guy we start counting on to figure it out we're going to be in trouble.

What's more, the players we drafted this year added with the probable signing of Lara should NOT be taken into account. The chances we get one All-Star caliber season out of them aren't great. Much less using them to "rebuild our farm system."

If you REALLY want the statement you made to be true, how St Louis needs to keep their farm system in tact in order to be able to compete with us in the future, we can't empty out our system now just as it's getting back on it's feet. Arcia, Coulter, Taylor, Williams and especially Nelson are keys to US being able to keep up and compete with STL, Cincy, Pitt and Chicago long term, all of whom could potentially be really good teams in the next 5 years.

I don't want to trade would could be a VERY good farm system at this time next year(or at least the core players in it) for the hope that David Price is going to get us into the playoffs. All it takes is one injury, one serious injury to a key position player(Aram, Braun, Segura, Gomez, Davis, Luc) and we're going to struggle.

Just keep building the way we are and then maybe we'll find ourselves in the Cardinals position of being a contender EVERY year. The Cards go to the playoffs every year and once in a while they're hot going in, and make a run like they did last year. But they sure don't count on pitchers with Johnny Hellweg's credentials to do it. They count on pitchers like Jimmy Nelson to develop, Devin Williams, Jorge Lopez, etc...etc..they count on players like Arcia, Coulter, Taylor to develop.

So yeah, I don't like the "go all in," idea this year. I like the Brewers team this year, but I don't want to keep sitting through sub .500 seasons to have a playoff season every now and then. I think most would prefer we remain competitive year in and year out, and guys like Jimmy Nelson and the 1.5 he'll cost his first 3 years help us do that. They allow us to sign guys like Ramirez.

This year is a really nice surprise season, but paying the money to guys like Lohse, Ramirez, Weeks..at their ages and health histories could have really led to an ugly year had we had health issues or our younger guys not performing. We can't afford to have so little margin for error(look at the injuries the Cards have dealt with this year and they're still contending).

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

They wouldn't want Yo. Why trade Price for a package headlined by a lesser pitcher with 1.5 years remaining? They'd want a package built around several Top 100 prospects, with at least one guy who's a "can't miss." The Brewers don't have that, and even if one were to argue that Nelson is "can't miss" and some other guys are working their way to "Top 100" status, I don't want to trade six years of Nelson away now that he's MLB ready.

I think our rotation upgrade will come when Nelson is past the Super 2 cutoff, and he replaces Estrada. Beyond that, barring injury, any trades will likely be to improve first base and/or the bench.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

At the half-way point, our Brewers have the best record in the NL. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying it. And I will enjoy the pennant chase the 2nd half of the year, regardless of what happens. For most of the last 30 years, a chance to make the playoffs was the exception, not the rule.

With that said, I can't help but look at other top teams, and without exception their rotation looks better- especially the 3 man playoff rotation. Nats, Braves, Cards, Cincy, Giants, Dodgers all fit that mold. Hate to be a downer, but just seems like it will be an uphill battle to win two series against those teams.

So, what would it take to get Price? Yo, Bradley, Morris, and pick a AA OF? Would that be enough do you think? I would do Yo and any combination of guys that aren't top level prospects. Heck, they can even have Roache.

FVB, that offer right there isn't enough talent (present or future) to hold Price's Jock Strap much less land Price. StL can say Oscar Tavares and he alone is a better offer than that proposal. Tampa works with a poor fan base(That's Florida for you all around) Their payroll typically reside with Milwaukee's when it's the 70-80mil. range. Expanding to 90+ just is too much for them to cover based on the lack of attendance they get. That's precisely why Tampa has shipped off their pitchers because they were getting too rich for them and Price is just that, too rich a salary for them to cover and field a team.

It's a shame Franchises like Tampa's/Milw even aren't capable to keep a Franchise player they drafted for their career, but at the same time, it does leave it interesting that Franchise Talent like Price/Shields are out there for the taking in trade. Vs. Looking at a Feldman/Hammel as your headline for trade rumors. It certainly keeps forums like this one with plenty to discuss and dream up.

that Franchise Talent like Price/Shields are out there for the taking in trade

Thanks for bringing up Shields. They got Wil Myers, Odorizzi + for him. At the time, Myers was a top five prospect, and he was MLB ready. Who is our Wil Myers that we could give them to bring back Price? Even if we put Nelson in the deal, it wouldn't be enough to get Price, and I don't want to add Nelson to any deal, as he will hopefully be an inexpensive mainstay in our rotation for the next six seasons.

In order for us to get Price, we'd have to dig into the MLB roster, and since we're not going to do that, we should probably stop dreaming of trading for Price, and set our sights on more attainable players at positions of need, like Morneau.

~Bill Walsh

Guys guys gusy, you know prospect rankings can change dramatically half way through a season, right? I can guarantee you that Nelson is views highly by any team looking to trade with the Brewers as a top can't miss prospect. Don't get so caught up with the prospect rankings. It's all about what the scout sees in the player when he gets sent to scout him for a trade.

Nelson could be traded to get price and as long as the other players are mid-level with good upside we can get price with that deal. The Brewers can without question trade for Price. I'll tell you the Brewers I suspect will be in on Price till the end, and that would make Estrada available to trade for a good 1B man, which will be an upgrade. then just call up Jeffress and get Thornburg back healthy, and we have a WS team. I full expect DM to be all in this season the way things are going and he won't sit back. Expect a big splash to go for the WS.

Also, DM said that Price is a lot like Sabathia, and we all know the Sabathia signing with the Yankees worked out very well for them the way it was structured. I'd bet the Brewers would be willing to do the same thing with an opt out clause. The Brewers also have way more money to play with, and lots of money coming off the books.

We can extend the key players on this team and extend Price suck up the raises, and be competitive for the next 5+ years like we are right now. Mark said he's go in the red for an extended time if we had the right team in place. Don't forget we have an extra 25 million right now to play with and 36 million after next season with Weeks gone. In 2016 Lohs's 11 million will be off the books, which covers Brauns raise to 19 million that year. Khris Davis trade value will likely be high by that time and we can trade him for a SP, and the draft we just had should drastically improve our system to keep trading for a good SP should we need one.

Price 25 million

Gomez - 3 million raise and 15 million a year for 5 years should get him. he wants to stay in MKE.

Lucroy - 7 million raise

gallardo - 13 million a year for 3 years plus option.

Peralta - long term deal buying out 2 years of FA when many players will be gone and off the books. Extra 3-5 million a year.

extend ramirez at current rate, and defer money again for a 3 year deal.

That's 35-40 million to keep this team in tact with Price extended long term.

A Staff of Price, Peralta, gallardo would be awesome to build around and would be the most formidable in the NL.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Well you can cross Price off the list unless you want to give up Arcia, Coulter, Nelson, and Taylor for him. The cost to get Price just went through the roof with what the A's gave up to get who they got.

Well you can cross Price off the list unless you want to give up Arcia, Coulter, Nelson, and Taylor for him. The cost to get Price just went through the roof with what the A's gave up to get who they got.

I'd do it in a heart beat. That's fine with me.

The only rationale I can even fathom considering doing that deal is with the plan to trade Price in the Offseason and Replenish the top of the Farm you just destroyed. Otherwise, Milwaukee is commiting to a full on Win it all now approach for 2014/2015 and when 2016 hits? We don't win 65games for the next 4 seasons because we have zero Pitching after Peralta/Garza Gomez/ARam/Weeks are gone leaving us with Gennett,Braun,Lucroy,Davis lineup. and Segura in the 7/8 spot. Nobody's at 1b/3b/CF

Man talk about dark days. I hope Price lead us at least to a World Series Appearance much less a win....All it takes is one series that goes to Game 7 before the WS that Price is used to leave him from being Game 1 Starter come WS and a Game 3/4 Starter instead and his advantage youre buying in to is gone.

Nevermind how crapped the entire organization is if he goes down with injury. And then all you're left is a QO(if that even exists after 2015)

The only rationale I can even fathom considering doing that deal is with the plan to trade Price in the Offseason and Replenish the top of the Farm you just destroyed. Otherwise, Milwaukee is commiting to a full on Win it all now approach for 2014/2015 and when 2016 hits? We don't win 65games for the next 4 seasons because we have zero Pitching after Peralta/Garza Gomez/ARam/Weeks are gone leaving us with Gennett,Braun,Lucroy,Davis lineup. and Segura in the 7/8 spot. Nobody's at 1b/3b/CF

Man talk about dark days. I hope Price lead us at least to a World Series Appearance much less a win....All it takes is one series that goes to Game 7 before the WS that Price is used to leave him from being Game 1 Starter come WS and a Game 3/4 Starter instead and his advantage youre buying in to is gone.

Nevermind how crapped the entire organization is if he goes down with injury. And then all you're left is a QO(if that even exists after 2015)

All of those players are blocked for 3 years. The Brewers just had a ridiculous draft that you guys aren't even considering. The Brewers system is better than those players you mentioned. Like I said I'd do it in a heart beat. I'd give Price a 8/175 million deal, then just extend everybody. then the farm wont be needed for 5+ years.

You are ridiculous. Extend everybody! Because we totally have that kind of money. Please don't mention the national TV deal either because that is not nearly enough.

The national TV deal is enough to keep us competitive as long as we have guys like Arcia, Coulter, Taylor and ESPECIALLY Nelson coming up (the revenue sharing from big market deals like the Dodgers/Angels and others is actually more beneficial to the small market teams.)

But this idea that since we drafted 4 talented young players, not one of which I would put a single dollar on developing into an All Star or 4 WAR type player at this point given they've proven absolutely nothing at this point, that we can afford to give away a young defensive stud at SS who's starting to hit and is very young for his level, a big power bat who is also developing as a catcher, an elite defensive CF'er, and worst of all, a guy who MIGHT well end up being our best pitcher in a year or two is just baffling to me.

And we're going to be paying Price 20+ million dollars when he's in his mid to late 30's? Have the countless contracts that have blown up with pitchers said anything to you? CC Sabathia, Johan Santana, two guys who were better than Price who signed shorter deals that were awful in the last two years(luckily they were signed by New York teams who could absorb such hits).

And by the way, those three players(it's actually 4) are NOT blocked for the next 3 years. Nelson will likely be starting for the Brewers in a month and I think it's reasonable that the difference between Price and Nelson will be more than made up by the salary difference over the next 6 years. Arcia is a wizzard with the glove and could easily see big league action next season either due to injury or due to ineffectiveness. Coulter is blocked if he stays at catcher, but if he moves to 3rd, who knows how fast he'll move and Taylor should start the year in AA next year. And if you start the season in AA, you can get called up at any time.

Make a move like this, and in a couple years you're going to be a 65 win team with some massive contracts.

We've finally got some valuable assets, assets we desperately need as we can't afford to fill multiple positions by giving guys like Ramirez 16 million a year.

And if those 4 players we acquired this year are successful, you're going to want to trade all 4 of them in a years time for....whoever the top pitcher on the market is. The thing is....if we keep these current prospects and the next 4 develop, and we get our farm system built back up....we might actually be able to make one of those CC type moves in the future. But that comes from having patience and developing young players. Not selling them the second they start to ascend and have any value.

a young defensive stud at SS who's starting to hit and is very young for his level

Arcia should be on the Brewers' "untouchable" list. Segura is still very young, and I'm not sure what we have in him, but people are able to dismiss his complete lack of offensive production for the time being because most of our other players are hitting well, he's extremely cheap, and he plays good defense at a premium position. If his hitting woes continue, it'll be a problem, especially when he hits arby and starts getting more expensive. I'm very happy to have someone in the minors who should be MLB ready around the time that happens. If Segura finds his bat and returns to All Star form while we have a MLB-ready Arcia... well, that's a good problem to have.

Our "excess" pieces I wouldn't mind seeing traded would be in the OF, or a SP not named Nelson. We have a few decent OF prospects, one of which could be packaged with one of our near-MLB-ready SP to make a deal for someone like Morneau, who plays the position that really needs to get upgraded ASAP.

~Bill Walsh

You are ridiculous. Extend everybody! Because we totally have that kind of money. Please don't mention the national TV deal either because that is not nearly enough.

Yup. We do have the money. 25 extra million

a young defensive stud at SS who's starting to hit and is very young for his level

Arcia should be on the Brewers' "untouchable" list. Segura is still very young, and I'm not sure what we have in him, but people are able to dismiss his complete lack of offensive production for the time being because most of our other players are hitting well, he's extremely cheap, and he plays good defense at a premium position. If his hitting woes continue, it'll be a problem, especially when he hits arby and starts getting more expensive. I'm very happy to have someone in the minors who should be MLB ready around the time that happens. If Segura finds his bat and returns to All Star form while we have a MLB-ready Arcia... well, that's a good problem to have.

Our "excess" pieces I wouldn't mind seeing traded would be in the OF, or a SP not named Nelson. We have a few decent OF prospects, one of which could be packaged with one of our near-MLB-ready SP to make a deal for someone like Morneau, who plays the position that really needs to get upgraded ASAP.

I say this with the caveat that I have only seen Arcia play a handful of times, but he strikes me as the type of guy who's going to add 10-12 pounds and could actually hit for pretty good power. And as far as his defense goes, in the couple games I did go up to Applteon to watch last year, he didn't really stand out defensively because everything was so smooth. Ball hit up the middle, he just seemed to glide over there. Segura is really good defensively, but he runs like a RB. He's quick, strong arm, but Arcia just looks like he's taking BP. And of course his defense is pretty renowned.

I would agree. He should be just about untouchable. I would place him, Coulter and Nelson in the virtually untouchable class.

As for him taking Segura's job, he could certainly do that in a year. But I am one who would still extend Segura and my opinion of him hasn't changed. I like his swing...I just think he's going to be a good starter for 8-10 years. But how valuable is a right handed guy like Arcia who is a defensive wizzard who can play 2nd, SS and I'm sure could play 3rd without much preparation. You'd have Gennett's platoon partner, a potential replacement for Segura, a potential future 3rd basemen as we currently don't have anyone.

If he puts on 10-15 pounds, at 6' 180 I could see him hitting 12-15 HR's a year, with his speed, he could create some problems, and could easily put up a slash line of .285/.335/.400.

Yup. We do have the money. 25 extra million

We do huh? I've been following the TV deals and the progressive revenue sharing for a while. I've believed we could raise our payroll to 100-110 million. So I've been far more...optomistic about our finances than many over the past few years. Look at Tort....it's still in his signature (though I believe I've been proven right).

But how exactly do you propose we add ANOTHER 25 million dollars?

Our ACTUAL payroll is probably about ~108 right now. You have a lot of things added into payroll than just adding up the 25 man rosters salaries. At least based on how MLB figures it for the luxury tax. Insurance payments count, defferred money, a lot of things.

Lets just go with 105 for a nice round number. How do you honestly believe the Brewers can maintain a payroll of 130 million dollars?

And mind you, you're not only spending 130 million this year, but you're not giving up a pitcher with the legitimate potential to be an ace. 6 years of team control for close to what you want to pay for one year of David Price. 6 years of a GG caliber SS who's bat is really coming around in Arcia. A guy with star potential in Coulter, and Tyrone Taylor.

This is just about the most illogical way to run a franchise like the Brewers. The Brewers do have some money. They can push their way into the top half of the league in terms of payroll. They're not getting into the top 10. They're not going to be able to spend 130-140 anytime soon.

So I'm curious, what do you think a Brewers team looks like with a 35 year old Ryan Braun, a guy who's already starting to wear down from injuries, a 33 year old David Price who IF he stays healthy(and I can almost guarantee that he won't over this 8 year contract) he's likely to be a MUCH less impactful pitcher, much like Sabathia who is 33 years old right now, or Santana's huge contract worked out terribly as the best pitcher in baseball was done by the age of 31 years old. Barry Zito was worth 28 WAR through his age 28 season whereas Price has been worth less than 22 WAR. This list goes on and on.

So we find ourselves in 3-4 years with about a third of our payroll tied up into two players who are either on the downside of their career or who may be completely infective. And forget about being able to carry those huge salaries with young talented players who are still making 500K a year like Arcia, Coulter, Nelson and Taylor because we traded them away for the right to be stuck in purgatory. And good luck counting on Gatewood, Harrison, Mereiros and Lara developing and all hitting their ceilings perfectly.

OR, like we've said, the Brewers could continue to develop their farm system, take the money that is being spread around MLB right now and spend is wisely so they can afford to pay for a guy like Lohse, Garza, Aram or guys like Lucroy, Peralta, and Gomez and then work our young studs into the lineup and rotation without blowing up our farm system and our payroll for a guy who history tells us will likely be a shell of his former self half-way through your proposed 8 year mega deal.

These players could be traded 3-5 years from now for prospects. It's a 360 all the way around as long as the money is there, which it is. I fail to see your point.

These players could be traded 3-5 years from now for prospects. It's a 360 all the way around as long as the money is there, which it is. I fail to see your point.

Let's see the Yankees try to trade Sabathia right now. How about the Cubs success at trading Soriano. After one season, Detroit was able to get out of the Fielder deal by obtaining a lesser player and paying millions of Fielder's contract. Texas had to pay most of A-Rod's salary in order to get the free-spending Yankees to make a trade for him. It's not easy to unload a monster deal, and even moreso if the player is not playing like a star.

Even with the HGH scandal, I still love Braun, but I could see him turning into our "Soriano" as he gets paid more as he regresses. Soriano was still a decent player for the Cubs, but he was paid more than he was worth, and his salary ate up a large portion of the budgeted payroll. If Braun is his old .900+ OPS self, he'll be worth the $19MM he'll be paid. If his injuries and age turn him into an .800 OPS guy, he'll still be above average, but won't be worth nearly the $19MM/year he'll be paid. Add another under-performing $20MM player combined with draining the farm, and we'll be hard-pressed to win anything.

I'd rather stick with our current guys, and roll the dice on Nelson, who appears MLB ready than trade away the farm (including Nelson) for Price. If we made the trade and don't extend him, we gave up a lot of future for 1.5 years. If we could extend him, there is tremendous risk that the contract would sink us if Price didn't continue to be one of the best pitchers in the game.

I'm wary of any monster contract for the Brewers, but if they are going to do one, I hope it will be one that takes the player to their mid-30s, not their late 30's/early 40's.

~Bill Walsh

• 2 weeks later...

Per MLBtraderumors.com:

Mariners, Rays Discussing David Price, Ben Zobrist

By Jeff Todd [July 17, 2014 at 2:10pm CDT]

Though no deal is imminent, the Mariners have been engaged in ongoing discussions with the Rays regarding lefty David Price and utilityman Ben Zobrist, reports Jon Morosi of FOX Sports (Twitter links). Meanwhile, talks have stalled with the Phillies regarding Marlon Byrd.

Needless to say, Price and Zobrist both represent potential impact to contenders. Either player could presumably add value to just about every roster in baseball. That holds particularly true for Seattle, which could not only pair Price with current ace Felix Hernandez but would be able to play Zobrist at shortstop, outfield, or even first base.

Of course, the return for either — and, especially, both — would figure to be substantial. (It is not clear from Morosi’s report whether the two would be joined in any potential deal, or indeed whether the sides have progressed that far.) Tampa is said to be interested in beating the return that the Cubs received for Jeff Samardzija, if it deals Price at all. Certainly, a hypothetical pairing of Price and Zobrist (both under control for next season) would require a bigger return on paper than was commanded by Samardzija and Jason Hammel.

Meanwhile, the news on Byrd makes sense in light of last night’s report from ESPN.com’s Jim Bowden, which indicated that Byrd would ask the Mariners to guarantee his $8MM option for 2016 in order to waive his no-trade clause. Seattle is one of just four teams on Byrd’s no-trade list.

I'd guess this is the point where Taijuan Walker becomes a Ray, as they use their down year to stock up and continue to provide a road map to show how a small-market team can continually be competitive in even the biggest-market division.

~Bill Walsh

Can add this to that Mariners-Rays rumor...from my ESPN fantasy note on Walker:

Walker's recent start for Triple-A Tacoma provoked a harsh response from manager Lloyd McClendon, who was displeased that Walker could only muster five innings, the Seattle Times reports.

Spin:

Walker, who was sent down just to get a start during the All-Star break, allowed one run on four hits and a walk in five innings with one strikeout. "Well, I guess I see things differently than most people," McClendon said. "I don't see that as a good outing: five innings, 83 pitches and one strikeout, that's not a good outing for me. And I'm not trying to bash the kid, but how we go about our business and our level of expectations from the minor leagues all the way up to the big leagues, it's got to change. Five innings, 83 pitches and one strikeout - that's not a good outing, I'm sorry. Not for me. And you can write it. I don't give a (expletive). I'm sure his agent will be calling mad at me, but we got to do better." Walker is expected to start the fifth game after the All-Star break, though the Mariners have not recalled him yet. His name has come up in trade talks, as well.

I know Mclendon isn't the one who has say for trading away Walker, and in fact to me should actually put him on somewhat a hot seat for this rant on the Team's #1 prospect.

But who knows? This could end with Walker's agent pushing the issue to trade Walker away?

I don't know how Seattle could do the trade due to supposedly being near their max in payroll. Another thing is they're 8games back of Oakland, 6.5 back of Anaheim. Acquiring Price just to get a wildcard and then watch Felix pitch the Wildcard game, only to lose and get zero use from Price in the Playoffs? How could Jack Z, maintain his job as GM after that fiasco?

How about Seattle having two desirable SS/2b prospects to sign Cano and then seeing both prospects Miller/Franklin struggle? So you have a need for Zobrist at SS? Or are you acquiring Zobrist to play OF/1b? I just think Seattle could dangle one of their SS(Franklin) And acquire a more impactful bat than to lose Walker,Franklin plus for Price. and still have huge problems offensively after Cano/Seager.

As for Milwaukee and TB, if Zobrist would play 1b, then he's a great bat to target. He bats from both sides. The problem is, we have to package prospects to get him or part with Nelson(if Tampa even has use for him)

Zobrist is going to net Tampa a heckuva prospect. I don't believe Milwaukee can beat the multiple number of team offers that are going to be out there for him. Just based on the fact that after Nelson, we don't have a prospect that ranks as above Avg future ML. And if that's the case, if you're Tampa you're getting more bust potential from Milw than a Prospect that figures to make a ML roster and be useful and/or impactful.

Archived