Brewer Fanatic

Trade partner - Tampa Bay Rays [Latest -- rumored ask for David Price: Nelson, Thornburg, & Coulter (post #94)]

Any trade for a pitcher of that caliber is going to require our #1, #2, and probably another top 10 player. There is no such thing as pulling Nelson & Taylor out of the equation for any big name player.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any trade for a pitcher of that caliber is going to require our #1, #2, and probably another top 10 player. There is no such thing as pulling Nelson & Taylor out of the equation for any big name player.

Yeah, Oxy was saying things kind of tongue-in-cheek, so I just followed up that our AAA roster is mostly "organizational soldiers" with a few second tier prospects. Even with Nelson, it probably wouldn't be enough to land 1.5 years of a top player like Price, but without him, there's no chance it would get much in trade.

I don't think that if Tampa made Price available, we would be able to put the highest bid together for him. Sure, if we used MLB guys, we could get him, but we wouldn't do that, so even the thought of landing Price is pretty far-fetched. However, even if a package of Nelson and two of our other top guys would get him, I still probably wouldn't want to do it. Our starting pitching has been a strength this season, so there's no need to give up six years of a good young pitcher in Nelson (plus the other guys) to get Price.

If we're going to be "buyers" this year, I'd much rather do a "Hairston-type" trade using one of our second tier guys (who probably would never see the big leagues in Milwaukee) in order to get a veteran on the last year of his contract from another team.

This thread is about Tampa, and all the guys discussed would be here for at least 1.5 years, so I think we'd have to give up too much to get them.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I could see the Brewers trading for James Loney, as an upgrade over Overbay

Personally, I'd love to see them trade for Zobrist, but I don't think that is going to happen

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I think Loney makes a lot of sense for the Brewers. He's a solid player, could platoon w/ Reynolds. Definitely a big upgrade over Overbay, and probably won't cost much.

As for Price, I'd be surprised to see the Brewers give up what it would take to get him. Although he would definitely make the Brewers an elite contender for this year and next year. A pitching staff of Price, Lohse, Garza, Gallardo, Peralta would be pretty special.

A guy the Rays might willingly part with is DeJesus. He would be significant upgrade offesively over Schafer as 4th OF and give coverage this year in case Davis slumps or Braun re-injures himself. He's never played 1B, but he might be worth a look there as he's a pretty good athlete.

Personally, I'd love to see them trade for Zobrist, but I don't think that is going to happen

Probably a fantasy but that would be great. Loney/Zobrist would be a significant upgrade over Overbay and Falu/Schafer

Probably a fantasy but that would be great. Loney/Zobrist would be a significant upgrade over Overbay and Falu/Schafer

You're probably right about fantasy but you are definitely right that it would be great. Moving Weeks would have to be a key in that deal, whether to them or someone else or even FA, because Zobrist would have to be slotted into 2B with Gennett and then Zobrist would fill in against righties at SS, LF, RF.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

You're probably right about fantasy but you are definitely right that it would be great. Moving Weeks would have to be a key in that deal, whether to them or someone else or even FA, because Zobrist would have to be slotted into 2B with Gennett and then Zobrist would fill in against righties at SS, LF, RF.

If we were to trade for Zobrist, I would have to think that Gennett would be headed to Tampa in the trade and Zobrist would be our everyday 2B. I don't think I'd do that deal, but I can't imagine that we would give up what it would take to get 1.5 years of one of the better 2B in the game for the past eight seasons and put him on the bench. Meanwhile, if Tampa's trading Zobrist, they're going to ask for young, controlled players in return. Weeks does not fit that bill, but Gennett does. They're certainly not going to give him away for our second tier minor leaguers.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

At the start of the year I never thought I'd be defending Overbay but I think he's been better than his numbers may indicate. His line drive percentage of 25% is 5 points higher than the league average yet his BABIP is considerably below average at .278. His strikeout rate is better than it was last year and his walk rate is better than league average. He's also driven in a career best 22% of the runners on base when he's batting. That's well above the league average of 15%.

Now I don't believe that means he can play more than 3-4 times per week, but I do think that at least up to now, he's been serviceable.

You also loved Travis Ishikawa, who looks like Babe Ruth compared to Overbay. A .626 OPS out of your 1st baseman is not serviceable, especially with a .688, .727, and .670 the past 3 years. Overbay has been done for awhile. I liked him 10 years ago and I'm sure he's a good dude but it was a mistake to replace Francisco with him. Even with all of Francisco's warts, he was obviously a superior player and actually had room to develop.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

You also loved Travis Ishikawa, who looks like Babe Ruth compared to Overbay. A .626 OPS out of your 1st baseman is not serviceable, especially with a .688, .727, and .670 the past 3 years. Overbay has been done for awhile. I liked him 10 years ago and I'm sure he's a good dude but it was a mistake to replace Francisco with him. Even with all of Francisco's warts, he was obviously a superior player and actually had room to develop.

Sorry but OPS isn't always the best indicator of production. Overbay has hit a lot of balls hard, has gotten key hits driving in runs in key situations, and has shown patience at the plate with 23 BB. Overbay's not a long term solution and if they can upgrade, great but as far as what he's done this season, it's been better than I expected.

I don't trust Francisco. When he's hot, he's hot, but when he's cold he's awful He's already started to tail off, hitting .185/.241/.444 in his last 20 games.

Sorry but OPS isn't always the best indicator of production. Overbay has hit a lot of balls hard, has gotten key hits driving in runs in key situations, and has shown patience at the plate with 23 BB. Overbay's not a long term solution and if they can upgrade, great but as far as what he's done this season, it's been better than I expected.

I don't trust Francisco. When he's hot, he's hot, but when he's cold he's awful He's already started to tail off, hitting .185/.241/.444 in his last 20 games.

Yep, with his 38 PA's with RISP, Overbay has been all world. Can you tell me why he doesn't try that hard when no one is on base? Why he only decides to get hits when men are on? Why he doesn't think being good at hitting with no one on base is important?

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Overbay only has 17 BB on the season as of today. Francisco has a higher OBP (by .002) but a higher slugging by .199. I know OPS isn't everything but it is a pretty good measure. Even taking Francisco out of the equation, it should have been obvious that Overbay was finished just by looking at his past 3 years. But maybe they were just signing him for his Vanilla Ice looks?

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Actually we have the talent to get Price, it's just that the FO won't make that deal. San Diego has a few guys we might be able to buy low on other wise we might as well stay pat.

If you mean gut the farm system then yes the Brewers have the talent to get Price.

I don't know that we have the talent on the farm to get Price. Now, if we want to look into trading guys like Gomez, Braun, Segura, and Lucroy, then we could trade for anyone, but since those guys aren't going to be traded, I don't think we could put together the best deal for Price. Nelson's having a great year, and we are starting to get some "upside" in the lower levels, but we still have a deficit of star power in the minors, and if Tampa trades Price, they will be looking for multiple prospects with star potential.

~Bill Walsh

StL is going to get Price, especially now with the Wacha/Kelly/Garcia injuries. If StL wants Price, there isn't a chance Milwaukee could make a better offer than StL. They just may up the ante trade Wong for Zobrist and improve their batting while they are at it. I really have this feeling that StL hates Milwaukee so much they will do anything to keep us from winning the division over them.

Agree that St Louis could make a bid for them, but I think they'd be more interested in winning the division so that they win the division moreso than winning the division so that the Brewers don't :-)

~Bill Walsh

I'd be interested in trading for either Zobrist (switch hitter who can practically play anywhere) or Matt Joyce (LH hitter who would be a solid 4th OF option) from the Rays. Give Overbay's or one of the weak-hitting backup IF's roster spots to either of the two and the Brewer's MLB position player roster gets better and more flexible.

StL is going to get Price, especially now with the Wacha/Kelly/Garcia injuries. If StL wants Price, there isn't a chance Milwaukee could make a better offer than StL. They just may up the ante trade Wong for Zobrist and improve their batting while they are at it. I really have this feeling that StL hates Milwaukee so much they will do anything to keep us from winning the division over them.

Actually the way I see it STL by the time a trade for Price will be made will be fighting for a WC spot and will be more that 8-9 games out of 1st. Just look at the 7 games they play prior to ALL start break. PIT has proven they can beat up on the Cards, and so have we.

Due to this I see the Cards looking more future this year than anything. They have to keep their farm system if they expect to be able to compete with us and the reds and Pitt in the many years ahead.

I would trade Nelson and the farm for Price. Look at it this way, we will have Hellweg still next season, and we just had a terrific draft that could make our farm way better than it is currently, all the positions in the line-up are filled for the long term with young players except 1B.

I'd trade the entire farm for price, and I would trade Estrada and Kintzler for a good 1B man. Have fires as the back up SP in Nashville and call up Jeffress, healthy Thornburg to the pen, then the Brewers would have just upgraded the Rotation with a true Ace, and the bullpen big time, and we can start thinking WS. That is if you haven't already.

Go all in for Price.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Actually the way I see it STL by the time a trade for Price will be made will be fighting for a WC spot and will be more that 8-9 games out of 1st. Just look at the 7 games they play prior to ALL start break. PIT has proven they can beat up on the Cards, and so have we.

Due to this I see the Cards looking more future this year than anything. They have to keep their farm system if they expect to be able to compete with us and the reds and Pitt in the many years ahead.

I would trade Nelson and the farm for Price. Look at it this way, we will have Hellweg still next season, and we just had a terrific draft that could make our farm way better than it is currently, all the positions in the line-up are filled for the long term with young players except 1B.

I'd trade the entire farm for price, and I would trade Estrada and Kintzler for a good 1B man. Have fires as the back up SP in Nashville and call up Jeffress, healthy Thornburg to the pen, then the Brewers would have just upgraded the Rotation with a true Ace, and the bullpen big time, and we can start thinking WS. That is if you haven't already.

Go all in for Price.

My reasoning that StL trades for Price is because A. They have the valuable prospects Tampa would at least ask for. B. since they are 6.5games back of Milw/at or near WC spot, adding Price would only secure a much more likely run the last 70games of the season or so to make the Playoffs.

C. StL will have Price next season (to go and win 110games)and then give him a QO which for how they draft means a top 100 Prospect after 1 year.

I really think Marco Gonzales is in St Louis' rotation right now as a showcase for Tampa to decide on for a Price trade. Thinking in lines that Trade A includes Martinez or Miller/Piscotty/Kaminsky Or trade B offers Taveras/Gonzales plus PTBNL C/B prospect depending on StL outcome for this season.

Archived