Brewer Fanatic

Red Sox sign Stephen Drew

torts

Red Sox To Sign Stephen Drew

By Steve Adams [May 20, 2014 at 1:48pm CDT]

The Red Sox have reached an agreement with Stephen Drew, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (Twitter link). Jon Heyman of CBS Sports tweets that Drew is getting the pro-rated version of the qualifying offer ($14.1MM) on a one-year deal, meaning that Drew will be paid roughly $10.17MM. Drew is represented by Scott Boras.

Drew’s value this offseason was weighed down by a number of factors. He rejected a $14.1MM qualifying offer last November, meaning that any team (other than Boston) that wished to sign him would have to forfeit its top unprotected pick. Additionally, there were a lack of teams that were willing to spend and had a clear need for an upgrade at shortstop. The asking price of both Drew and Boras likely also weighed on interested parties.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

It has been heavily debated but I think this means after our first pick is made morales will be a brewer for roughly the same amount as drew.
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Good for the Red Sox.

Why do people always assume that we will get Morales?. Won't other teams possibly be interested in signing him too? I keep reading things from people that make it look like it's a done deal.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I don't know why he didn't just wait. Could probably have gotten a multi-year deal. Now he may have to go through the arbitration thing again next year unless it was written into this contract that he can't be offered arbitration.

I don't know why he didn't just wait. Could probably have gotten a multi-year deal. Now he may have to go through the arbitration thing again next year unless it was written into this contract that he can't be offered arbitration.

Next season's QO likely approaches 15mil. He'll just accept it knowing he's not valued a 1st rd pick plus 14mil so how can to phe be valued at 1st rd pick at 15mil?

Boston won't offer him the QO. Drew will have FA that all teams will bid on him so he's not losing anything by doing this today. I mean if he waited it would be what 1.6mil? it'd cost him on this year's pay to sign a multi year deal?

Anyway, the rich got to play this QO game for Draft Gain or just sign the guy anyway cornering the market. It'll be a great day when the QO system is scrapped or reworked.

Edit add: Just read, since Drew doesn't play for Boston for the full season he doesn't qualify to be offered a QO much like a player who's traded to a team loses that ability. So there's your answer. Make that 1.6mil today before the draft vs. attempting to get an added year/or two for a multi year deal

Good for the Red Sox.

Why do people always assume that we will get Morales?. Won't other teams possibly be interested in signing him too? I keep reading things from people that make it look like it's a done deal.

Morales would just be a typical melvin "we are in contention and he is a veteran " move. Overspending for more average, less power, and worse defense than morris could provide. I imagine mark/ doug giving morales whatever he wants. Not that I want it, just a feeling.

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Verified Member
Good for the Red Sox.

Morales would just be a typical melvin "we are in contention and he is a veteran " move. Overspending for more average, less power, and worse defense than morris could provide. I imagine mark/ doug giving morales whatever he wants. Not that I want it, just a feeling.

I have very little faith that Morris could maintain a mid-.700s OPS in the major leagues, but I see zero reason why he shouldn't be called up right now in place of Overbay to see if he can. Give Morris some MLB experience and evaluate whether he is a feasible starter. If he's not, then sign Morales a month from now.

I have very little faith that Morris could maintain a mid-.700s OPS in the major leagues, but I see zero reason why he shouldn't be called up right now in place of Overbay to see if he can. Give Morris some MLB experience and evaluate whether he is a feasible starter. If he's not, then sign Morales a month from now.

Overbay has an OPS of .677 since the start of the 2011 season. They took a flier hoping he could have a Gabe Kapler like impact as a veteran for us. He hasn't. Giving Morris some at bats, especially while Aram is out and dumping Overbay right now seems like the only logical move.

I also don't think he'll offer the same production that Morales can as Morales just hit 23 HR's in the AL West playing his home games in Seattle and has an OPS+ of 121 with a .457 SLG since the start of the 2012 season.

So I think Morales is clearly the best option, it makes no sense they wouldn't at least give Morris a chance in the meantime to prove them wrong.

I don't know that everyone is "always assuming," they'll get Morales, but it seems to be a foregone conclusion that they'll go after him given their 1st base production is 14th worst in the NL and they're currently in 1st place. I'm sure the prospect of playing for a team in contention, for a team that plays in a lot of hitters parks would appeal to him in an attempt to increase his value for next season.

There is also the fact that the Brewers seem to have a fairly good relationship with Boras. So the only thing I'm assuming is that we're going to be pretty aggressive going after him.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Because he was signed after opening day he can't be offered a QO this offseason.

Because he was signed after opening day he can't be offered a QO this offseason.

exactly, he wont have to worry about Boston stunting his FA opportunities with a QO this fall/winter.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

also, Hart is expected to miss 4-6 weeks on the DL, i'd be shocked if the M's dont resign Morales at this point

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

I'm with you

Regardless of if the team eventually tries to sign Morales, it bothers me that Morris hasn't at least been called up and given a chance to replace Overbay who just can't hit anymore. Morris very well may never end up being a long term option at firstbase, but for the present, it would be hard for him to be worse than Overbay.

Good for the Red Sox.

Huh? Morales was solid last season for Seattle in a big ballpark littered with scrubs like Ackley around him in the batting order. Not only that but he's been a decent WAR player all the way back to 2009 pre-injury. I'll take that .275 / .450 / .800 with 25 dongs line all day long thank you very much. He's only 30 and should finally be fully healed. Call him our Aramis replacement when that day finally comes, be it this year or next. We're in a deep hole with Rami (or Braun apparently) always being dinged up...Morales is good depth.

Archived