Brewer Fanatic

Brett Lawrie starting to put it together?

The stache
I thought UZR had made a shift-adjustment by now; IIRC he posted some absurd defensive numbers (something of the magnitude of 2-3 dWAR) his first couple of years but now when I look it up, he only has a +6.2 UZR/150 in his career at 3B.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You'll never convince me that Marcum wasn't a huge reason we were so good in 2011. Yes he struggled in the playoffs but he was great for a huge part of that regular season. Maybe we make the playoffs without him; maybe without him we don't get Grienke and ended up going nowhere. I certainly lead towards the notion that getting Marcum set the table for Grienke and that coupled with his performance in the regular season led to one of the most successful seasons in Brewers history. I would do that trade all over again

If the Marcum trade doesn't happen when it did, Greinke probably never becomes a Brewer, and Fielder may get traded that offseason, too. Had the Brewers not filled multiple slots in their starting rotation, that team doesn't come close to the playoffs.

People forget that Greinke missed the first month of that season because he got injured playing basketball, IIRC. Marcum was essentially a 1.1 WHIP starting pitcher through August in 2011. As much as his late and postseason struggles were magnified, the Brewers don't win the division in 2011 without him - simple as that. the way the Cards had to grab the wild card on the last day of the season, there's no guarantee a Marcum-less Brewer team makes the playoffs at all.

In retrospect, the Lawrie/Marcum trade worked out well for the Brewers. Right now it's tough to argue otherwise.

If the Marcum trade doesn't happen when it did, Greinke probably never becomes a Brewer, and Fielder may get traded that offseason, too. Had the Brewers not filled multiple slots in their starting rotation, that team doesn't come close to the playoffs.

People forget that Greinke missed the first month of that season because he got injured playing basketball, IIRC. Marcum was essentially a 1.1 WHIP starting pitcher through August in 2011. As much as his late and postseason struggles were magnified, the Brewers don't win the division in 2011 without him - simple as that. the way the Cards had to grab the wild card on the last day of the season, there's no guarantee a Marcum-less Brewer team makes the playoffs at all.

In retrospect, the Lawrie/Marcum trade worked out well for the Brewers. Right now it's tough to argue otherwise.

I think it's a lot tougher to argue that Prince would have been traded without trading for Marcum, OR that Grienke never becomes a Brewer without Marcum than it is to argue that the Lawrie/Marcum trade was a good one.

The Nationals won 68 games in 2010. And we shopped Prince and tried to trade him. It was only after the underwhelming offers we got for him that we went after pitching. So I don't believe Prince would have been traded coming into that season either way. Daniel Hudson was the best "prospect," we were reportedly offered for Prince. Keeping Prince, trading for Greinke and even trading for Marcum are not my issues. Offering Lawrie to ONE team and targeting a guy like Marcum was my problem. And he was good. Not great in 2011 and he was hurt in 2012 and we got nothing for him.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• 2 weeks later...

Archived