Brewer Fanatic

2014-05-16 Brewers (Lohse) at Cubs (Samardzija), 1:20 PM CDT [Brewers win, 4-3]

hawing
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With regards to Braun not playing - he's just coming off the DL from injuring his oblique without a rehab assignment. An oblique requires rest to heal, so he's probably a bit out of game shape, and playing on a horrible weather day isn't going to help it, and likely could cause it to flare up if it isn't loose/warm. It's about 45 degress at the start of this game, with rainy conditions. It was actually sleeting/flurrying on my way into the office by O'hare earlier today.

If RR wants to give Braun the day off from playing RF in miserable conditions that could increase the chances of tweaking that oblique, fine by me.

On the radio Ueck says Barney always hits the Brewers but when I look it up he is hitting .186 in 156 AB vs the Brewers. Even last year, he only hit .133 in 52 AB's. Maybe he is thinking of someone else?

With regards to Braun not playing - he's just coming off the DL from injuring his oblique without a rehab assignment. An oblique requires rest to heal, so he's probably a bit out of game shape, and playing on a horrible weather day isn't going to help it, and likely could cause it to flare up if it isn't loose/warm. It's about 45 degress at the start of this game, with rainy conditions. It was actually sleeting/flurrying on my way into the office by O'hare earlier today.

If RR wants to give Braun the day off from playing RF in miserable conditions that could increase the chances of tweaking that oblique, fine by me.

Again though to me it's not about the day off today. I do get that. It's about the bigger picture of the pattern of becoming a part-time player who really lacks durability in the last 2 years.

You really have to reach to find a compliment for Overbay when you gush for 2 minutes about how great that double play was and how most 1st baseman would have stepped on 1st, etc. etc.

The Brewers lead the league with 16 CS in 44 chances. 36% CS isn't good. The only two teams worse than the Brewers are Boston who has 11 stolen bases and has been caught 11 times. (Ouch) and Seattle (11 CS and 16 SB for a 41% ratio on being thrown out) ...

The Crew needs a little practice on the art of swipping bags or change their steal sign as I think even the scoreboard operator knows it.

Verified Member
It's May, and seven of nine players in the lineup tonight have an OBP below .300...

When are Melvin & Co. going to do something about 1B/LF???

Maybe they're waiting until after the draft to sign Morales so they don't have to give up a pick.

I hope so! I wish they were taking these serious offensive deficiencies more serious even now though. Somebody like Kyle Blanks would have been a solid add. This team has a chance to contend and if Melvin doesn't make some substantial moves over the summer I think it will be a fireable offense.

This team has a chance to contend and if Melvin doesn't make some substantial moves over the summer I think it will be a fireable offense.

so since summer doesn't start for another month, why are we so crazy about this right now with a 5 game lead on the division? the can't do anything in LF right now because their star RF can't stay on the field and their star CF's serving a suspension with a balky back...both currently taking up 25 man roster spots. They can't do anything significant at 1B right now because Ramirez's injury is forcing Reynolds to play every day at 3B, and it's frankly too early to start dealing pitching depth with hopes of acquiring a 1B capable of significantly improving offensive production over there.

Let summer get here before jumping off a ledge. And let's hope the 3 best hitters on the team (Braun, Gomez, and Ramirez) get back in the lineup every day. If they don't, none of this 1B/LF crap matters because the team's going to struggle offensively.

Verified Member
This team has a chance to contend and if Melvin doesn't make some substantial moves over the summer I think it will be a fireable offense.

so since summer doesn't start for another month, why are we so crazy about this right now with a 5 game lead on the division? the can't do anything in LF right now because their star RF can't stay on the field and their star CF's serving a suspension with a balky back...both currently taking up 25 man roster spots. They can't do anything significant at 1B right now because Ramirez's injury is forcing Reynolds to play every day at 3B, and it's frankly too early to start dealing pitching depth with hopes of acquiring a 1B capable of significantly improving offensive production over there.

Let summer get here before jumping off a ledge. And let's hope the 3 best hitters on the team (Braun, Gomez, and Ramirez) get back in the lineup every day. If they don't, none of this 1B/LF crap matters because the team's going to struggle offensively.

That's exactly the bad mentality that I'm sure Melvin has. The fact that we keep winning one-run games does not excuse having the offensive holes and useless bench that we currently do. I know nobody is going to make major trades this earlier in the season, and it doesn't make sense to sign Morales until after the draft, but there are a lot of little things that he can and should be doing.

Our starting LF has a .253 OBP, we have zero competent bench OF, and our starting 1B has an OPS approaching .500. Is it really that hard to find a 1B/OF closer to replacement level, at least? Kyle Blanks is just one recent example of that type of guy traded for very little.

Archived