Brewer Fanatic

Would You Consider....

trading away Braun for an elite SP? It seems like Gomez is for real. I think he's better than Braun right now. He's always been a better baserunner than Braun. Defense isn't even a contest. There are few players in baseball that are better defensively than Gomez. I think Gomez has closed the gap on Braun when it comes to hitting. He may not have Braun's power, but right now Gomez is making better contact with the ball than Braun. A lot of those base hits by Braun that went past the fielder's glove in the past are now being caught. He's not a scrub or anything, but he's not playing at the level he used to play at. What if his hand issues prevent him from returning to his elite level of play? Is it better to take a risk and make a move now? Do you play it safe and hope he goes back to being Braun?

I'd give this some serious thought if I was Melvin. Having an elite lineup with solid pitchers won't win you a championship. However, elite pitching can carry a mediocre lineup to a championship. Just look at the Giants. Baseball is the only game where defense is going to win the battle most of the time. Even the best hitter is still going to lose the battle more than half of the time. What did Cabrera hit last year? .320 something? Not to take it to an extreme, but most of the time the pitcher is going to beat Cabrera. I'd rather have a decent lineup and an elite pitching staff than a great lineup but decent pitchers. Milwaukee's elite lineup couldn't save them in 2011. The starters let them down big time. This year's team is tied for the best record in baseball because their pitching has been great, despite a weak lineup. Braun is having injury problems. The lineup is playing decently, but not showing any signs that they are going to blow up. Meanwhile the rotation and bullpen have been filthy good. A guy like Price would push them over the top and give this team the counter needed against a Wainwright, Wacha, Kershaw, Verlander, Scherzer, etc.

Would you consider making Gomez the face of the franchise and trading Braun away for someone like David Price?

trading away Braun for an elite SP? It seems like Gomez is for real. I think he's better than Braun right now. He's always been a better baserunner than Braun. Defense isn't even a contest. There are few players in baseball that are better defensively than Gomez. I think Gomez has closed the gap on Braun when it comes to hitting. He may not have Braun's power, but right now Gomez is making better contact with the ball than Braun. A lot of those base hits by Braun that went past the fielder's glove in the past are now being caught. He's not a scrub or anything, but he's not playing at the level he used to play at. What if his hand issues prevent him from returning to his elite level of play? Is it better to take a risk and make a move now? Do you play it safe and hope he goes back to being Braun?

I'd give this some serious thought if I was Melvin. Having an elite lineup with solid pitchers won't win you a championship. However, elite pitching can carry a mediocre lineup to a championship. Just look at the Giants. Baseball is the only game where defense is going to win the battle most of the time. Even the best hitter is still going to lose the battle more than half of the time. What did Cabrera hit last year? .320 something? Not to take it to an extreme, but most of the time the pitcher is going to beat Cabrera. I'd rather have a decent lineup and an elite pitching staff than a great lineup but decent pitchers. Milwaukee's elite lineup couldn't save them in 2011. The starters let them down big time. This year's team is tied for the best record in baseball because their pitching has been great, despite a weak lineup. Braun is having injury problems. The lineup is playing decently, but not showing any signs that they are going to blow up. Meanwhile the rotation and bullpen have been filthy good. A guy like Price would push them over the top and give this team the counter needed against a Wainwright, Wacha, Kershaw, Verlander, Scherzer, etc.

Would you consider making Gomez the face of the franchise and trading Braun away for someone like David Price?

I'd trade him for an above average 3B and 1B prospect. 2 top 20 prospects We are set with pitching.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I'd trade him for an above average 3B and 1B prospect. 2 top 20 prospects We are set with pitching.

You wouldn't go after any MLB players? Which prospects would you target?

I would if it was the Marlins we were dealing with then I'd ask for Stanton, Jose Fernandez on the condition that we extend Stanton long term like we did with Braun. We have holes to fill many holes in 2 years from now. I'd even throw in Estrada, Jimmy Nelson, Fiers,Tyrone Taylor, and Schafer if it's not enough, and to get Christian Yelich added to it.

So here's the break down - Brewers send Miami - Braun, Estrada, Nelson, Fiers, Tyrone Taylor, Schafer Brewers get Stanton, Christian Yelich, Jose Fernandez.

Miami needs an additional OF and this would give them one in Schafer who can immediately fill in in RF for them, and a future one that is doing very well in AA in Tyrone Taylor who plays good defense also. This would allow the Brewers to put Stanton to 1B, Yelic to RF, and Jose immediately to the rotation. I'd do it this trade this mid season actually. There's no guarantee the Marlin can extend Stanton or that he clearly wants to stay. However, the Brewers are a contender and I'm sure he'd sign with us if we offered him Braun salary over 9 years and gave him a raise in his last year of Arby. Just defer some of the money like we did with Braun, and we hvae our new franchise player and the Brewers with the additional TV revenue can afford it. Then immediate work out deals for Peralta and Jose.

Then if I was the Brewers GM I'd trade Gallardo and Ramirez plus Cash in the off-season for a top mlb pitching prospect and a top 3B prospect and a high ceiling minor league pitching prospect. That will solidify the rotation and we'd have depth in the minors, and Thornburg who can step in and take over.

This would make us miles better than anybody in our own division and make us a contender for at least another 5 years.

This would save the Brewers 29 million next season, FYI.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I think you're overreacting when it comes to Braun. I disagree completely that Braun isn't making better contact with the ball than Gomez. Gomez has absolutely improved, & clearly his stats don't lie. But he also still looks clueless at the plate at times, which is something you almost literally never see from Braun. Ryan's swing is just so methodical, easy/repeatable, & accurate. As for the hits "that went past the fielder's glove in the past are now being caught," I don't see it, & it's certainly not reflected in his AVG so far. His production, even in the limited time he's had so far (something that would disrupt & throw off a lot of other hitters) is right in line with his career norms.

Naturally, there's no argument to be made against Gomez's defensive value. But Braun, like him or not anymore, is the kind of hitting talent that just doesn't come around very often. This is a legitimate Hall of Fame caliber talent.

Then, on Price... I appreciate that what you're doing is targeting elite SP talent. But Price is only under contract through 2015. It'd be a bad idea to give the basically the rest of Braun's career for 1.5 seasons of Price.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The only time Braun's value has been lower was last off season. His numbers are good but he is constantly having nagging injuries and his thumb is probably going to affect him for the rest of his career. I can't see any team giving up a haul worth trading him for unless that team was really desperate.

The only time Braun's value has been lower was last off season. His numbers are good but he is constantly having nagging injuries and his thumb is probably going to affect him for the rest of his career. I can't see any team giving up a haul worth trading him for unless that team was really desperate.

Despite Braun injury's which is nothing new he will continue to put up MVP type numbers or pretty close to it. Teams would be lining up for him.

Why would the Brewers trade Braun to go after a pitcher in Price they couldn't control past his last year of arbitration in 2015? Who are the Brewers going to outbid for his services in 2016?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Despite Braun injury's which is nothing new he will continue to put up MVP type numbers or pretty close to it. Teams would be lining up for him.

Sure, all 29 other teams would want Braun. But who is really going to give up a really nice, franchise altering package of players for a guy who is guaranteed at least 1 DL trip and a week or two where he's only available to be a decoy in the on deck circle?

Nagging injuries and thumb are lesser concerns than the likely scenario of an elite pitching prospect having TJ surgery in the near term. Besides Gomez is only signed through 2016. They need to may hay while the sun shines and they need Braun to do it. Pitching staff may lack sizzle but they run out a competent starter every game.

Why would the Brewers trade Braun to go after a pitcher in Price they couldn't control past his last year of arbitration in 2015? Who are the Brewers going to outbid for his services in 2016?

It doesn't have to be Price. He's just the 1st name I thought of. You can think of other players. That's the point of thread. The Brewers could easily afford Price if they get rid of the Braun contract.

I think you're overreacting when it comes to Braun. I disagree completely that Braun isn't making better contact with the ball than Gomez. Gomez has absolutely improved, & clearly his stats don't lie. But he also still looks clueless at the plate at times, which is something you almost literally never see from Braun. Ryan's swing is just so methodical, easy/repeatable, & accurate. As for the hits "that went past the fielder's glove in the past are now being caught," I don't see it, & it's certainly not reflected in his AVG so far. His production, even in the limited time he's had so far (something that would disrupt & throw off a lot of other hitters) is right in line with his career norms.

Naturally, there's no argument to be made against Gomez's defensive value. But Braun, like him or not anymore, is the kind of hitting talent that just doesn't come around very often. This is a legitimate Hall of Fame caliber talent.

Then, on Price... I appreciate that what you're doing is targeting elite SP talent. But Price is only under contract through 2015. It'd be a bad idea to give the basically the rest of Braun's career for 1.5 seasons of Price.

I wouldn't say that Gomez looks clueless at the plate. He's still aggressive, but he's toned it down a lot. Braun still swings at a lot of bad pitches. I've seen him swing at junk sliders low and away even during his MVP years. Maybe I'm overreacting and the injury problems are the reason for his mediocre start. He's a once in a lifetime talent for sure. I can't deny that he's looked bad this year though. With the exception of the Pirates and Phillies series, Braun's been mediocre. A lot of weak groundouts and stuff. I don't know maybe he'll go back to being Braun. I'd prefer to keep him long term. Trading him is a possibility that should be considered.

I would if it was the Marlins we were dealing with then I'd ask for Stanton, Jose Fernandez on the condition that we extend Stanton long term like we did with Braun. We have holes to fill many holes in 2 years from now. I'd even throw in Estrada, Jimmy Nelson, Fiers,Tyrone Taylor, and Schafer if it's not enough, and to get Christian Yelich added to it.

So here's the break down - Brewers send Miami - Braun, Estrada, Nelson, Fiers, Tyrone Taylor, Schafer Brewers get Stanton, Christian Yelich, Jose Fernandez.

Miami needs an additional OF and this would give them one in Schafer who can immediately fill in in RF for them, and a future one that is doing very well in AA in Tyrone Taylor who plays good defense also. This would allow the Brewers to put Stanton to 1B, Yelic to RF, and Jose immediately to the rotation. I'd do it this trade this mid season actually. There's no guarantee the Marlin can extend Stanton or that he clearly wants to stay. However, the Brewers are a contender and I'm sure he'd sign with us if we offered him Braun salary over 9 years and gave him a raise in his last year of Arby. Just defer some of the money like we did with Braun, and we hvae our new franchise player and the Brewers with the additional TV revenue can afford it. Then immediate work out deals for Peralta and Jose.

Then if I was the Brewers GM I'd trade Gallardo and Ramirez plus Cash in the off-season for a top mlb pitching prospect and a top 3B prospect and a high ceiling minor league pitching prospect. That will solidify the rotation and we'd have depth in the minors, and Thornburg who can step in and take over.

This would make us miles better than anybody in our own division and make us a contender for at least another 5 years.

This would save the Brewers 29 million next season, FYI.

Wow if that could be done then I'm all for it. The Brewers would have an elite hitter for the next 10 years and an elite SP as well. I hear Yelich has a lot of hype as well. I think Miami would tell the Brewers to get stuffed when it comes to Fernandez. I think that's the one guy that the Marlins will try to keep.

Vegas,

In regards to fernandez it would depend on if the Marlins really think they can re-sign Stanton. If not then Staton is a 1 year player, and way to small of a return for 5.5 years of Braun.

The Marlins trade goes against absolutely everything their franchise does. They're not going to add a big priced player who's 30 years old, has an injury that by all accounts may never be fixed.

And they certainly aren't going to give up a guy who's arguably the best young pitcher in baseball, EVEN if he's having TJ surgery this year. And on top of that, another top prospect. All for the right to take on all the risk associated with Braun and to start paying him in his more expensive years, and get back one prospect who's rated among the top 100?

I am a little concerned about how Braun has looked at the plate this year. I still believe he can hit .300 and be a great player, but the issue as it appears to me is that with that thumb, he's not able to check his swing at all. So he has to decide earlier if he's going to swing and I think that's going to drop his walk rate. I also think that even if he still hits for power, I don't think he's going to slug quite as well as he has.

If we were to trade Braun, I'd be alright with trading him for maybe Tavares and Carlos Martinez from the Cards. Or a package like that. A position prospect who could be very good and a young power arm who could be very good. It'd obviously be guys who are unproven because...if they're already proven why would the team trade them away?

And the Cards are a team that could really use Braun right now. You look at the best prospects in the game and almost all of them are on teams like the Twins, Astros, teams who'd have little interest in adding a guy like Braun right now because they're not built to win right now.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I wouldn't say that Gomez looks clueless at the plate. He's still aggressive, but he's toned it down a lot. Braun still swings at a lot of bad pitches. I've seen him swing at junk sliders low and away even during his MVP years. Maybe I'm overreacting and the injury problems are the reason for his mediocre start. He's a once in a lifetime talent for sure. I can't deny that he's looked bad this year though. With the exception of the Pirates and Phillies series, Braun's been mediocre. A lot of weak groundouts and stuff. I don't know maybe he'll go back to being Braun. I'd prefer to keep him long term. Trading him is a possibility that should be considered.

I don't think Gomez looks clueless overall, & he's certainly learned to harness himself better. But imo he's just nowhere near Braun's contact ability (nor do I really think he ever will be)... because like you said, Braun is a once-in-a-[insert time here] hitter. I guess I just haven't seen nearly as much to be concerned about from Braun this season as you -- imo it's mostly down to injury.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The Marlins trade goes against absolutely everything their franchise does. They're not going to add a big priced player who's 30 years old, has an injury that by all accounts may never be fixed.

And they certainly aren't going to give up a guy who's arguably the best young pitcher in baseball, EVEN if he's having TJ surgery this year. And on top of that, another top prospect. All for the right to take on all the risk associated with Braun and to start paying him in his more expensive years, and get back one prospect who's rated among the top 100?

I am a little concerned about how Braun has looked at the plate this year. I still believe he can hit .300 and be a great player, but the issue as it appears to me is that with that thumb, he's not able to check his swing at all. So he has to decide earlier if he's going to swing and I think that's going to drop his walk rate. I also think that even if he still hits for power, I don't think he's going to slug quite as well as he has.

If we were to trade Braun, I'd be alright with trading him for maybe Tavares and Carlos Martinez from the Cards. Or a package like that. A position prospect who could be very good and a young power arm who could be very good. It'd obviously be guys who are unproven because...if they're already proven why would the team trade them away?

And the Cards are a team that could really use Braun right now. You look at the best prospects in the game and almost all of them are on teams like the Twins, Astros, teams who'd have little interest in adding a guy like Braun right now because they're not built to win right now.

The best young SP in baseball and 1 year of Stanton whom they can't re-sign for Braun is a fair asking price. Throwing in the 2 hottest MiLB Sp's one of which is the Brewers top prospect in Nelson, and Fiers, and the OF help that they need for Their LF'er, is more than a fair price.

AFAIK veteran players still can demand a trade or become a FA if they are traded in the middle of a long term contract (seldom happens because of when players are traded). This means trading Braun would be really difficult because the receiving team may lose him right away.

Verified Member

I would never trade Braun, not even for pre-TJ Fernandez. Pitchers and unreliable and flame out all the time, whereas Braun is a HoF-caliber offensive performer signed (by today's standards) to a reasonable contract for the length of his career. I'm not saying he's the best player in baseball by any means, but I don't think there's anyone I would trade him for. Even Mike Trout you're only getting him for a few years, because he would never sign the extension Braun is on to stay in Milwaukee.

(Maybe I would trade him if it was something ludicrous like Braun+ for Stanton/Fernandez as suggested above, but that kind of trade is just fanciful and would never happen).

I would never trade Braun, not even for pre-TJ Fernandez. Pitchers and unreliable and flame out all the time, whereas Braun is a HoF-caliber offensive performer signed (by today's standards) to a reasonable contract for the length of his career. I'm not saying he's the best player in baseball by any means, but I don't think there's anyone I would trade him for. Even Mike Trout you're only getting him for a few years, because he would never sign the extension Braun is on to stay in Milwaukee.

(Maybe I would trade him if it was something ludicrous like Braun+ for Stanton/Fernandez as suggested above, but that kind of trade is just fanciful and would never happen).

For that trade I'd throw in Fiers to make it very realistic. Feel free to adjust my proposal guys to more realistic levels. The Brewers have the prospects and if you include a player like Braun anything is possible. If you are worried about giving up too much don't even think twice. There's also Gallardo and Ramirez that you can trade in the off-season for prospect and that 3B man we need. Stanton can be re-signed the Brewers have the money to pull a yankees and pay market value for him.

I would love Braun to get past the recent past AND not have the niggly injuries. But what I see is a guy of questionable character who's past body of work is discounted. And who's future is likely a 'pretty good' player who plays 120 games a year. And I see his price tag rising to the 20 mill mark. I actually think none of the other teams would give fair value for him.

So I think he will be here forever. And I hope he ends up being the player that gets up over the top and he is embraced, eventually, as our broken, not perfect, but 'family' player.

I would obviously trade him for a good package in return. Not even great. But I do not think any other GM will have a lot of interest. I hope I am wrong on all counts. That he becomes MVPish again. And everyone wants him because he is so good. But my head says the last two sentences are unlikely.

Yes, pitchers are more prone to injuries. However as we're seeing, Braun is also prone to injuries.

The difference is, when you're a competitive team, a pitcher makes a much bigger difference in the playoffs than a pitcher. Especially if we're talking about arguably the best pitcher in the game(pre TJ Fernandez).

And if we were offered Trout for Braun, I would do that in a heartbeat. We'd have 6 years of Mike Trout. He may very well put up a higher WAR in those 6 years than Braun will for the rest of his career. Trout is a once in a lifetime type talent.

For that trade I'd throw in Fiers to make it very realistic. Feel free to adjust my proposal guys to more realistic levels. The Brewers have the prospects and if you include a player like Braun anything is possible. If you are worried about giving up too much don't even think twice. There's also Gallardo and Ramirez that you can trade in the off-season for prospect and that 3B man we need. Stanton can be re-signed the Brewers have the money to pull a yankees and pay market value for him.

Again, what part of the Marlins history would suggest they'd trade young cheap player for a 30 year old player who's going to be earning 20 million dollars a year? Even if Braun was as valuable as Stanton and Fernandez(with Fiers) why on earth would they part with those players as opposed to multiple 20 year old can't miss top 20 prospects?

And Ramirez is a FA after this year, so the Brewers can't trade him in the off-season.

Finally, while I've argued for years that the Brewers would be able to be more competitive financially with the biggest markets, they'll never be equal to them. The Yankees make as much as 400 million a year from the YES network. Sure, a big chunk of that (34%) goes to revenue sharing, they still keep a ton. So we're likely never going to be able to sign a player like Stanton in free agency, nor should we.

Any trade with the Marlins will likely consist of young players going TO the Marlins and older/more expensive players coming to the Brewers. Nothing they've done over the last 15 years save for a one year spending spree which they immediately sold off suggests they'll do otherwise.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Yes, pitchers are more prone to injuries. However as we're seeing, Braun is also prone to injuries.

The difference is, when you're a competitive team, a pitcher makes a much bigger difference in the playoffs than a pitcher. Especially if we're talking about arguably the best pitcher in the game(pre TJ Fernandez).

And if we were offered Trout for Braun, I would do that in a heartbeat. We'd have 6 years of Mike Trout. He may very well put up a higher WAR in those 6 years than Braun will for the rest of his career. Trout is a once in a lifetime type talent.

Again, what part of the Marlins history would suggest they'd trade young cheap player for a 30 year old player who's going to be earning 20 million dollars a year? Even if Braun was as valuable as Stanton and Fernandez(with Fiers) why on earth would they part with those players as opposed to multiple 20 year old can't miss top 20 prospects?

And Ramirez is a FA after this year, so the Brewers can't trade him in the off-season.

Finally, while I've argued for years that the Brewers would be able to be more competitive financially with the biggest markets, they'll never be equal to them. The Yankees make as much as 400 million a year from the YES network. Sure, a big chunk of that (34%) goes to revenue sharing, they still keep a ton. So we're likely never going to be able to sign a player like Stanton in free agency, nor should we.

Any trade with the Marlins will likely consist of young players going TO the Marlins and older/more expensive players coming to the Brewers. Nothing they've done over the last 15 years save for a one year spending spree which they immediately sold off suggests they'll do otherwise.

Instead of losing a very good hitter in Stanton, they get a guaranteed controlled one that is a once in a lifetime player in Braun. You put way too much stock in these injury's. Don't worry you will shortly change your mind very soon, because Braun will start hitting. Teams will be lining up for him one by one. The trade deadline is in July btw. The Brewers will pick up Ramirez option. You do know he has a option, right?

Archived