Brewer Fanatic

Would Jose Bautista be impossible to get?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I doubt Bautista is going anywhere in the muddled AL East. Toronto is only a game out. The fans would go ballistic if they dealt their best hitter while still in the hunt for the playoffs.

However, if the Jays fell out of it, I think it would take a couple of top prospects to get they guy. Start with Nelson, add in Coulter or Taylor - at minimum. Or maybe Thornburg or Smith from the big league roster.

Verified Member
Bautista has been the best hitter in the AL this season and is under team control through 2016. Brewers definitely do not have the pieces to get him. Zero chance. Not going to happen.

Bautista has been the best hitter in the AL this season and is under team control through 2016. Brewers definitely do not have the pieces to get him. Zero chance. Not going to happen.

This is a huge pet peeve of mine. I recall reading literally the exact same thing in the season we traded for K-Rod by a poster on here.

It's extremely unlikely and it'd probably be dumb for the Brewers to give up what it'd take to get him, but they do have the pieces and there is a CHANCE this could happen.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Verified Member

This is a huge pet peeve of mine. I recall reading literally the exact same thing in the season we traded for K-Rod by a poster on here.

It's extremely unlikely and it'd probably be dumb for the Brewers to give up what it'd take to get him, but they do have the pieces and there is a CHANCE this could happen.

What pieces do they have? Bautista is an MVP-caliber player under team control for 2.5 more seasons. You're talking top-25 prospects at a minimum. Nelson is a fringe top-100 prospect, at least coming into the season. I don't see how you can compare K-Rod, who the Mets were looking to dump, and a player like Bautista.

We couldn't even field a competitive offer for Bautista if he was a free agent after the season, much less so given his contract situation.

What pieces do they have? Bautista is an MVP-caliber player under team control for 2.5 more seasons. You're talking top-25 prospects at a minimum. Nelson is a fringe top-100 prospect, at least coming into the season. I don't see how you can compare K-Rod, who the Mets were looking to dump, and a player like Bautista.

We couldn't even field a competitive offer for Bautista if he was a free agent after the season, much less so given his contract situation.

I never compared Bautista to K-rod, I simply pointed out that another poster said almost literally the exact same thing when we were looking to bolster our bullpen and the idea of trading for K-rod came up. That was it.

As for who we COULD trade for Bautista? I don't know, any number of players. Peralta, Segura, Gomez, Nelson, Coulter, Taylor.

I'll leave it at this, I don't believe it's going to happen, I think it's extremely, extremely unlikely. It's simply a pet peeve of mine when someone states with that degree of absolute certainty that something will absolutely not happen, not chance, no way, never.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• 3 weeks later...
Toronto is in 1st aren't they?

Well that's true now. The last post was back at the start of this 17-4 run by Toronto? I think they were near last prior to it.

Why limit ourselves to Bautista? Why not just go after Edwin Encarnacion? Let's get a 1b who has 40hr+ power With .275+ba ability..

Anyway moving to reality. If Toronto is in the East division running my guess is they trade for winning pieces now vs selling. You have to if you're them don't you? After that Marlins trade and Dickey trade. Make it all worth it with a WS win so trade Stroman(who's getting showtime to increase value) to a team for what they need. Maybe its a SP or a 2B. What else does Toronto need?

I mention Stroman because he reads as a future RP more than a future Starter ala Thornburg. And Aaron Sanchez is the prospect they need to save.

Archived