Brewer Fanatic

Yost's last stand?

The Brewers have lost 7 of their last 8 series, heading out for a 9 game road trip. Does anyone believe Yost's job could be on the line if they go 2-7 on the trip.....or worse?

I'm not an anti-Yost guy, so there is no hidden agenda in this question. You have to ask youreslf though, if they lose all three series, that would mean they lost 10 of their last 11. I hope we all would agree this team is better than that.

I trust Melvin does not have an unlimited leash for Yost. To answer my own question, I doubt a change would be made but it wouldn't shock me. More likely, they wait until the All Star break and see where things stand.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was hashed out before and there is no real replacement hanging aroung to make this move.

Posters mentioned Kremblas in the off-season, but do we really think Melvin is going to ax his man during the season? Team is still in first place.

well whether or not Yost's job is in jeoprody or not, the cardinals are only 4.5 games back right now and getting hot and so are the cubs and pirates. Im starting to get really freaked out. We have a 9 game road trip in the american league against the Rangers, Twins and the Tigers.

I feel we should be able to do well against the rangers, but the twins and tigers the brewers haven't had much success against. IMO if the brewers have another road trip like their previous one, they will no longer be the leaders in the NL Central.

If you are going to fire some one you need to look at the players first, i know Yost has made some bad decisions, but he isnt walking 4-5 guys in the first couple innings or kicking the ball around the infield. What is going to change if they fire him.

Ned Yost has a better chance of winning manager of the year than getting fired.

The infield is all under the age of 24 and they are in first place.

Seriously, teams go through tough stretches. This is no doubt one of them (we all knew it would be before they left for New York). They avoided the long losing streaks by only being swept in one series. They'll get hot again.

The people who are worried, are just worried for the sake of worrying.

Quote:
well whether or not Yost's job is in jeoprody or not, the cardinals are only 4.5 games back right now and getting hot and so are the cubs and pirates.

So in the last 10 games the Brewers are 5-5 and the Cubs and Pirates are 3-7.

However, Yost should be fired and the Cubs and Pirates are "getting hot."

OK?

Firing Nedly anytime soon would smack of desperation (and we know that Melvin isn't desperate to put out a winner). I'd say it's more likely that Rosie ODonnell passes a Dunkin Donuts than Nedly getting fired.

IMO, if the Brewers were serious about a guy like Kremblas then they would have put him on the staff this season like they did with Skaalen and Sedar. It seems to me like they undervalue him a bit, but that's only my opinion.

Quote:

Or they are Brewers fans that are just waiting for another let down. I'm not one of them, but I still know lots of people that keep saying "I wont believe this team is for real until the All Star Break, or maybe even August"

Quote:

I'm sure you didn't intend to do so, but that coomment is rather condescending. There is a difference between a "rough stretch" and a trend. IF the Crew loses all 3 series, that is 10 of the last 11. That's why I brought the topic up now. To me, that's a trend.

I think there is cause for worry. Injuries have not been a factor this year, other than Weeks for a couple weeks. And most of the losing came while Weeks was in the line-up. So what happens when the inevitable injuries occur? What happens when Prince cools off for a week or two.

I'm a glass is half full guy, but that doesn't mean there is no cause to worry.

Finally, let me be clear there is little correlation in the history of sports between a Manager DESERVING to be fired and GETTING fired. As the old adage goes, you can't fire 25 players but you can fire the manager when things aren't going according to plan.

I'm not sure if the comment is condescending or not. It registers low on my condescension meter, but the meter may be affected by today's barometric pressure. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I will say that the sentence probably would have been a better opener, supported with a couple facts. As a 'clincher', it could be taken a number of ways.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

19 of our next 28 games are against Tex, KC, Hou, Pit, Wash, SF. The other 9 are against some beatable teams in the Cubs and Twins.(I always feel those series can go either way) And 1 against Det. I expect to make some ground up in the up coming games. If not, then I will be looking for some answers. Until the AS break, I wont be too worried unless we are losing series against those first 6 teams.

EDIT - To answer the question out right: I dont think Yost has anything to worry about unless we have trouble winning those games.

I'd be flabbergasted if Yost were fired. He's an average manager having a great year. I agree that he is more likely to win manager of the year than get fired. If he continued managing the way he has this year, and the brewers lost the rest of their games he still wouldn't get fired. The intentional walks are down, the non-pitcher sacrifices are down, they play with a healthy level of unpredictability on the basepaths. The bullpen management has steadily risen this season all the way up to Ok. The OF carnival has worked pretty well. He's backing up his players at all the right times without looking like a clown, or a pinella.

Yost had a terrible season last year, but this year he's vastly improved. Talking about him being on the hot seat is crazy talk. That's like saying if Prince stops hitting homeruns at his current rate does he need to get benched? Crazy.

Bury Yost's Heart at Wounded Twin Cities

It's always so easy to criticize, yet we fail to realize - whatever his shortcomings - that Yost is well-liked by his players (esp. Benny), knows how to handle a pitching staff, and has guys busting out this year - making his offensive job easier. Give him a break, for crying out loud!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived