Brewer Fanatic

Weather thread: 2014 Non-winter

hawing

I've gone hiking the past 3 weekends, wore shorts each time and have been stubbornly telling my friends "There's baseball, it's summer. Trust me." for 5 weeks.

Glad to see spring finally show up.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

• 1 month later...
There are a lot of red eyes today, that's for sure. I'm in Middleton and I think we were spared from anything too bad. I'll drive around town this morning to check it out. Verona looks to have been hit by a tornado, damaging a school, part of Epic, and a bunch of houses. The southwest side of Madison along with the isthmus also saw quite a bit of damage.

I've yet to find damage in our near west hood. Poster Team Canada lives closer to some of the Madison action, but he reported no damage to his house. Platteville got hammered with something, too - enough to (among other things) close UW-Platteville today. Plus the gas station with Ed's Cafe was badly damaged. Ed's!

Piece-of-crap timing for people with day jobs (midnight hour for Dane County), though at least we were up because of the late end to the Brewer game. It will probably be a multiple Dr Pepper day for me. Bummer for the employee I'm supposed to train this afternoon.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

We must have gotten that storm that went through Madison at about 1-2 in FDL. I couldn't fall asleep after all the cracks of thunder. It might as well been noon with the amount of lightening. Pretty crazy.

No damage or anything like that around here though; just a whole lot of rain. The amount of rain yesterday and forecasted through the end of the week is going to cause flooding problems. Probably not 2008 bad but there should be some. Farmers hopefully got all their stuff in the ground because they won't get out in the field for a long time after this week. They will probably lose a lot of crop regardless with fields going underwater for extended periods of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Close to 100,000 were without power in the Waukesha to West Allis corridor.

As a word of warning to all, for the future, when the power is out, stop lights become a 4-way stop. NOT a "Drive and lay on the horn at anyone who gets in my way" intersection.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

As a word of warning to all, for the future, when the power is out, stop lights become a 4-way stop. NOT a "Drive and lay on the horn at anyone who gets in my way" intersection.

[sarcasm]I always thought it was whoever had the biggest vehicle had the right of way.[/sarcasm]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Seems like the general consensus regarding the weather in SE WI this summer was that it was cold and rainy. I didn't get that feeling about the Summer weather we had. It wasn't hot, but I didn't think it was cold and I didn't think there was an unusual amount of rain this Summer. My son's baseball team ended up playing 32 games this Summer. I think only 2 were postponed by rain, but they were eventually played. I guess there were some cooler nights because there were not many 90 degree days. However, people seem to be complaining about the "lousy" Summer. I don't see it. If we had several days in the 90's people would be complaining that it was too hot. Sometimes people are hard to please.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Community Moderator

Here's some numbers: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=mkx&storyid=104086&source=2

As you can see, the summer was indeed cool and wet compared to normal. This was the case for most of the Midwest. On the flip side, the Pacific Northwest has seen the warmest summer on record in many places.

My parents in Milwaukee report that the summer weather was some of the nicest they have ever experienced. I'm sure many others appreciate the lack of major heat waves.

Looks like a strong cold front will come through WI around the middle of next week...dropping high temperatures to the 50s/60s and bringing the first threat of frost to the northern part of the state.

Archived